Ward re-signs

Albert

Good age, long been our most effective attacking player, carried us at times, and is now a more than capable rotation option for the wide positions, and will be handy whether in this division or the Premier League. No problem with a 2 year deal for him.

Jamie Ward:

Appearances: 114

Minutes: 8355

Goals: 28 (0.302 per 90 minutes)

Assists: 25 (0.269 per 90 minutes)

Those are very good numbers, and he has proven that even when things aren'g going well, he can create something, and even if he lacks some cutting edge here and there, has at times been our only creative outlet.

Compare those numbers by the way to:

Kris Commons:

Appearances: 80

Minutes: 5703

Goals: 21 (0.331 per 90 minutes)

Assists: 20 (0.316 per 90 minutes)

Not too far off from Jamie.

I can understand a new contract.

Stat overload ... !!!!!!

<<Bananas>> I am getting old.

Although i guess when computer says 'yes' ... there can be no dispute. Welcome aboard Wardy.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are so many better wingers out there and I just feel that this is a massive backwards step.

Sensible suggestions to replace him in our squad?

I suspect you might just have it in for the player. We've all had one of those over the years.

I think most Derby fans would agree that Jamie Ward has made a good contribution for us.

Good news.

He hasn't been the fans favourite for a while, but for me, I don't see much difference between Russell, Ward or Dawkins. I think all three offer good competition for each other; healthy competition at that too.

Hit the nail on the head, anyone who says this is a step backwards is being silly because he has always been a great servant since he arrived, i think people want some super winger who can score 30 goals a season, dribble past 6 players and then whip a ball right onto martins head every week...not gonna happen

Whenever it's sang I cringe at what the opposition fans must be thinking. If I was a pro footballer and had that chant I'd hand in a transfer request.

Then you're possibly oversensitive! Beats "Used to be ***** but now he's alright" for Gary Teale. Speaking of whom, not a bd marker to get Wardy in context. Good player, good servant, glad he's signed. 

1. He's petulant.

2. He's not good enough.

3. He cant get past his man.

4. His attitude is awful.

5. He gives needless free kicks away in dangerous positions

6. His decision making is atrocious

7. He cant cross

8. He isnt going to get any better whatsoever.

9. Lost a yard of pace.

10. He probably has one good game in every 7 or 8.

11. He was awful for the most part of last season

How on earth someone can think "he has the potential to be one of the best wingers in the championship" is one of the most ridiculous comments I have heard in a while.

Hes never gonna improve. Infact he is getting worse.

There are so many better wingers out there and I just feel that this is a massive backwards step.

When he first joined to be fair, he was lethal, especially in the 2012-13 season (when he was fit) he was our best player and looked a threat every time he was on the ball.

I accept that his overall form last season was poor but one bad season doesn't make a bad player. He could hit another purple patch for us again this season and start scoring regularly again. Last season he got 7 goals which for a winger not starting every game is a decent return.

If McClaren has faith enough in him to give him a new deal then he's obviously still got something to give.

I think Ward is decent enough. Fairly content with a two year deal. Good and frustrating in equal measure. He has provided as many great moments as those that leave you despairing with your head in your hands.  As has been said previously, he provides competition for places, can be a great impact sub and pops up with the odd goal/assist or two. He has his weaknesses, like ninety-nine percent of players at this level, but if he didn't he wouldn't be plying his trade in the Championship. If we get promoted then we can look again...

Archived