Southampton, living the Premiership dream...

Philmycock

Smart owner. Continuing the philosophy and getting in one hell of a manager to fit right into it. Didn't expect such quick results but those that came in poaching their players underestimated how much of a team they were. Complimenting each other. Like us.

Hope they do well.

Agreed wavering between jealously and admiration

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Saints have done great this season. As several others were, I scratched my head at their summer offloading, but obviously they knew exactly what they were doing.  I do not think their current form will hold, but I do see them being 12th or better and with as many players as they sold, it is remarkable to consider that. Great job imo by the Saints owner and other important members of the organization.  I have a Southampton supporter friend who I hang out with at bi-monthly ALA conferences I attend and who I text every so often and he when we started discussing our teams last week, he told me is very proud and excited about the direction the Saints squad and setup is going and he should be.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha! Good.

A good system and style wins out over who's got the best players!

Everybody wanted a piece of that Saints cake but it turns out the ingredients is only part of it. It's all in the way you bake it.

Good! Greedy bastwerd clubs.

And all that masturbating over LVG and Saints got a cracking manager in under the radar.

Hopefully keep it up. Even though I don't like them.

• 2 months later...

3rd after 21 games and they've maintained a position in the top five since September - they really are living the dream! Their progress from League One in 2011 to potential Champions League entrants in 2015 is a stunning turnaround.

They have been well-known for producing young talent through their academy and long will this continue. But obviously at boardroom level, they haven't always been handled with the greatest of care. Only six years ago, they were in administration I believe, then when Adkins had stabilised them and taken them up through the divisions, many felt his dismissal was questionable and only last summer, the owners were accused of asset-stripping and jeopardising the club's future. But every decision the club have made in recent times - be it replacing with Adkins with Pochettino, to more recently selling their key players and then installing Koeman - seems to have been vindicated. It's certainly something to give clubs like us hope that a return to the Premier League can be something more than just settling for 17th.

What an incredible job Koeman has done so far, surely he will be a shoe-in for Manager of the Year barring a farcical collapse in the second half of the season? I thought they would be comfortably in the top 10 again, but to have performed like they have, it's quite ironic really given that their star players all thought they were moving on to bigger and better things. Over the course of time, I'm sure that will prove true. But still it's so refreshing to see a club like Southampton outperforming Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United too.

Morgan Schneiderlin must feel half-smug and half-embarrassed by developments on the south coast! :lol:

I've never seen him but if he was better than Tim Cahill is, he must've been something!

He was centre forward at Southampton all if not most of his career I think. Gave Roy McFarland a torrid time once or twice. I remember from corners he seldom was waiting for the cross in the box. He was outside when he started his run then BANG right on the forehead like a rocket. Like I say best header of a ball (attacking wise) I have ever seen.

Just watching them now , and what an honest, 100% player is Shane Long he never sausage stops, he has even headed two crosses clear in his own penalty area .

In stark contrast to McGoldrick.

How sausage is he? I thought he was a bit of a tool after trying to shoot from ridiculous areas on Saturday.

He has just carried that on tonight. I'd be be having words if I were his teammates. Shocking.

They are having a hard time playing football against Ipswich, a bit naive falling into their game plan of high balls.

In the instances that Southampton let the ball work for them and keep it on the ground they look much better,

but it

Archived