Southampton, living the Premiership dream...

Philmycock

The budget available to Man Utd, The Petrodollar teams and to a lesser extent Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool means that no one else has a chance of winning the premier league, or even of holding onto their stars. But that's modern football for you.  Just look at the Adidas deal for Man Utd. Things are just going to get more polarized, despite the League's efforts to share around the TV money.  Maybe a wage cap would help.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't be surprised within 10 seasons there will be a European super league.

I would welcome this as this would I feel make football cheaper for the fans and make it so more competitive....

Maybe a wage cap would help.

Ha!

They'd find a way around that. In fact, I've thought of one off the top of my head. Endorse player X for us and we'll pay you Y million pounds!

We've secured you am endorsement if you sign for us!

Yeah they probably would ....but as the situation stands now, things are getting a bit ridiculous. Money talks to such an extent, that the vast majority of teams have to resign themselves to never having a chance of winning the league again.  Is that really what we what ?

I would welcome this as this would I feel make football cheaper for the fans and make it so more competitive....

Never happen, EPL and CL bring in more money that an ESL ever will.

I hope so. But I doubt it.

Saints already had another young left back in their first team squad last season who they hope for big things from so if they can buy a replacement for shaw for say 7-10m they'd probably be stronger in that position than last season. 

They still have Clyne, their first choice right back and Fonte one of their first choice CBs so I'm sure they're not panicking as yet. 

Lambert won't be too difficult to replace and Lallana was only special because hes a technically gifted player and he's english. Technically gifted players are ten a penny in Holland so again not hard to replace. 

I can see this season being transitional for them but I think the value they have got when selling players will have secured their financial future for a long, long time. 

Ha!

They'd find a way around that. In fact, I've thought of one off the top of my head. Endorse player X for us and we'll pay you Y million pounds!

We've secured you am endorsement if you sign for us!

If the premier league was serious about a wage cap, then there would be no way around it. It'll never happen though as it would have to be a worldwide thing and no one would want to go first.

Lambert won't be too difficult to replace and Lallana was only special because hes a technically gifted player and he's english. Technically gifted players are ten a penny in Holland so again not hard to replace.

They already have replaced them with (on paper) better players. Younger as well, with

Brendan Rodgers is slowly going down in my estimations the more he keeps overpaying for these guys. Why is he raiding a team that finished way below him, and probably won't be able to deal with the pressure of playing at a bigger club like Liverpool?

Archived