Southampton, living the Premiership dream...

Philmycock

...what's the point of having a good team in England's top division? Do well and all your stars get sold and the manager pinched, is it worth it??!

Shaw, Lambert, Lalana and Potticino (excuse spelling mistakes) all gone, makes you wonder if it's worth all the aggro of promotion! Pffffft!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

True, but it would be some sort of an achievement to stay up and make a profit, they must be pretty fit financially at least.

Having sold Bale for whatever Kenwyne Jones, Oxlade - Chamberlain and this lot I would buy shares in Southampton even if they do go down.

Think that's why there were a few comments before our play off final where people said they want to win and celebrate the occasion but they're aren't as eager for the reward of PL football.

The positives for Southampton is they've gone and bagged a good manager and more importantly a good manager who won't drastically change the style of play. Be more evolution like McClaren than Coyle at Wigan.

They've also got money. I'm 100% sure there are better LB's than Shaw who would cost just a fraction of what they got for him. The problem they will have is it all clicking. Spurs spent

I always said to myself "I want us to be like Southampton, I was us to have faith in the youth players and let them grow into a top 4 side, just like they're doing". How naive of me. Even I, a neutral, brought into Cortese's vision, maybe it would have work if he'd had stayed, but we'll never know now. It's sad that the club couldn't manage to see through its project, that the players wouldn't give it another year without Cortese to see how it went. 

Never mind we can always fluke a cup run!

I'm sorry but Southampton simply can't complain at all - tey've just sold two bang avergae players for $55m and they can replace them - and get better - for under $10m.

Laughable really. No wonder the Germans roll on the floor laughing at the state of the English game. 

Think that's why there were a few comments before our play off final where people said they want to win and celebrate the occasion but they're aren't as eager for the reward of PL football.

The positives for Southampton is they've gone and bagged a good manager and more importantly a good manager who won't drastically change the style of play. Be more evolution like McClaren than Coyle at Wigan.

They've also got money. I'm 100% sure there are better LB's than Shaw who would cost just a fraction of what they got for him. The problem they will have is it all clicking. Spurs spent

Thing is we can put a cheap team together for next to note and compete, but they only way to do that is not what many here would want to see - buying foreign players.

When you see players like Livermore and Snodgrass move for 7m etc.. And then look over in Germany and Spain and see the likes of Reus and Herrera (both around 21/22) being bought for 3m then it's really something else.

I'm sorry to say this, but with the state of the English game in general, I wouldn't care less if we fielded a side with eight or nine foreigners - at least we'd hae done it on a budget on not paid excessive amounts for bog standard players.

As for Southampton, what a catch. 55m, and with Koelman in charge, they'll just raid Germany and Holland for cheap players who are probably just as good if not better.

Agree with you mate. To finish 8th in the PL is a dream come true. 8th!! How exciting...

Remember the first couple of seasons under Jim Smith in the premiership?

God, I loved those days. But it epitomised the lot of smaller clubs in the Premiership. The costs of competing escalate and, ultimately, you end up pushing tish uphill.

It's sounds great that Southampton getting this money from 3 sales but whenever they come to replace them the value of the players they want will go up as well as teams see Southampton have all of this money, would rather have the players than the money any day. Let's face it there not going to wear a Southampton shirt again, if I was a fan of there's wouldn't be very happy,

• 4 weeks later...

Archived