Southampton, living the Premiership dream...

Philmycock

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't their owner a woman? Not that that's an issue, just read a few of them saying that there's no chance she will invest it and she will probably just sell up

Katharina Liebherr - Owner

On 8 July 2009, the administrators confirmed that the club had been sold to a buyer "owned and controlled by Markus Liebherr

It was announced on 11 August 2010 that Markus Liebherr had died; however the club's future had been assured and planned for before Liebherr's death

I'm struggling to see what all the fuss is about. Isn't it just business as usual for Southampton? They are a selling club and they have always been. What are the club supposed to do? You can't stand in a player's way if clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United come calling.

At least they are benefiting from a financial standpoint and who knows they could yet benefit on the pitch too given the vast sums they are making from the sales of these players. I highly doubt Koeman would have taken the job in the first place if he hadn't been given assurances that a fair share of the money would used to rebuild the squad.

I think if I were a Southampton fan, I'd wait and see how Koeman reshapes the squad before I started protesting and claiming that the club were being asset-stripped. The time to panic is August 31st not now.

The strangest thing for me is Liverpool's transfer policy. After having such a fantastic season last year and qualifying for the Champions League, the signings of Lambert, Lovren and Lallana don't really fit the profile of player they need to take them to the next level I would think. Or is it just me?

Whilst it is tempting to chuckle here the concern is this could be us in a few years time. FFP is for the benefit of the top clubs across Europe. It is conceivable to imagine Thorne, Hendrick, Hughes, Bennett, Calero, Christie, Lowe and Hanson being VERY good footballers in a few years time, but not quite good enough to take us into the top 6 of the PL. They may by then also have developed as a 'band of brothers' but then one or two are naturally cherry picked by the big clubs, and a few others then think it's not the same here now and get on the phone to their agents. I think Saints will be ok this season as they are a good well managed club who will probably buy ok enough replacements, but as Spurs showed last year spunking cash on good players does not buy a good structure, nor team spirit. The best the Saints can realistically hope or expect though is that for the next 2 years they stabilise somewhere between 17th and 10th and then start progressing forward again until the big clubs start paying attention again. Not a pretty picture for Saints, Derby or football in general.

PistoldPete2

I am realistic in that we will probably never compete for a premiership title.However,I do think that in a few years time some of our players could have vast financial value.

Pipe dream I think

Soton just seem to have a knack of picking really good young players, Derby never have.

A couple of points: We should be sympathetic to the saints.After all they have not only done

nothing wrong,they are doing what many on here want for us.

The other point is that FFP has been exposed as a complete sham and a con trick.It is there

to protect the top rich clubs,and stop any other team joining the party,and then forced to

become feeder clubs.

To me, this is far from good business by the Saints. I understand the vast amounts of money they are making off these players, but Koeman really needs to start spending some of it or they could have a pretty bad season. However, they still have some decent players left.

A couple of points: We should be sympathetic to the saints.After all they have not only done

nothing wrong,they are doing what many on here want for us.

The other point is that FFP has been exposed as a complete sham and a con trick.It is there

to protect the top rich clubs,and stop any other team joining the party,and then forced to

become feeder clubs.

I always knew this was the case...

How can any medium-sized club break into the top four without spending? None of them (and us) can field a team good enough and consistant enough on moderate buys and youth players.

Because any decent youth player will just get snapped up by the best teams before they hit 21 anyway.

Tottenham are arguably the closest, but even they have a far bigger pull than someone like Derby and West Brom and still lose their best players to Man United or Man City etc.

Archived