Southampton, living the Premiership dream...

Philmycock

Blackburn 95 but that was hardly a surprise at the time.

Agreed though, the prem is predictable at best and relies on its viewership getting excited about the same mundane details year on year. Sadly everyone swallows it and nothing changes.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, Archie. I don't think anyone other than Norwich has broken into that group without spending big money. Blackburn certainly did. And Norwich was 21 years ago!

The sad fact is that without a billionaire sugar daddy, nobody has a chance of real success. FFP wont change that either.

If you get an owner that is willing to spend money then the world is really your oyster. I don't think you should feel too bad for Southampton though. After all, they could come in with a few weeks to go of the transfer window and do to us what Liverpool did to them. 

Then we could go to a lesser team and do what Southampton did to us, then the lesser team could go to an even lesser team and... well you get the idea. 

Money, in some peoples eyes, may have ruined football but where do you draw the line. You could argue that money has taken the power away from the so called 'big clubs' and has proven to give smaller clubs a chance. Otherwise, Wigan wouldn't have been superior to Leeds for the past decade. 

So, has money ruined the game? Only if you have poor owners. However, it gives 'small teams' a chance at success. 

I don't think you have grasped what FFP is actually doing.First of all if you had an owner

with money to burn the club will be fined if he spends a lot of it.

Why would Southampton want our players?they would face relegation,same as

all clubs going to lesser teams.

Money hasn't taken power away from the big clubs and given the smaller clubs a

chance at all,FFP has done the opposite.

I am realistic in that we will probably never compete for a premiership title.However,I do think that in a few years time some of our players could have vast financial value.

I can tell you a scenario where we could be competing for the title,and it might be closer

than you think.

Did you know that the top teams in Europe have been working on the idea of a Euro Super league

for a while now.This idea has scared the Premier League and the other top leagues shitless,which

is why FFP was brought in.If it happens and the top 4,5 or6 leave our league,think of the difference

that would make.

I don't think you have grasped what FFP is actually doing.First of all if you had an owner

with money to burn the club will be fined if he spends a lot of it.

Why would Southampton want our players?they would face relegation,same as

all clubs going to lesser teams.

Money hasn't taken power away from the big clubs and given the smaller clubs a

chance at all,FFP has done the opposite.

I agree top6 - I am a bit surprised by the comments from Ambitious too. I have just posted a similar thread to our Baggie friend Butros along the same lines.

I can tell you a scenario where we could be competing for the title,and it might be closer

than you think.

Did you know that the top teams in Europe have been working on the idea of a Euro Super league

for a while now.This idea has scared the Premier League and the other top leagues shitless,which

is why FFP was brought in.If it happens and the top 4,5 or6 leave our league,think of the difference

that would make.

Bring it on as far as I'm concerned. Let's make the league competitive again. Who cares if we don't play the likes of Man Utd, when the odds of getting a result is so highly stacked against us?

I'd rather see all teams feel they have a realistic chance of winning the league and I think any euro league would eventually wither and die when the "top" teams suddenly stop finishing in the top 4 every year...

Bring it on as far as I'm concerned. Let's make the league competitive again. Who cares if we don't play the likes of Man Utd, when the odds of getting a result is so highly stacked against us?

I'd rather see all teams feel they have a realistic chance of winning the league and I think any euro league would eventually wither and die when the "top" teams suddenly stop finishing in the top 4 every year...

Totally agree, would give football back to the fans as well, particularly lower end clubs. Would make football much cheaper and competitive and would be a good thing.

The big clubs will probably realise what they would be missing if the super league happened. They would be in my opinion look elitist, they may have all the money, but in time us fans will eventually have the power.

Just think, many more kids will want to go to see there local team. I would rather have a kid from Nottingham go and support Forest/County rather than Man Yoo/Citeh/Arse etc.

I agree top6 - I am a bit surprised by the comments from Ambitious too. I have just posted a similar thread to our Baggie friend Butros along the same lines.

I already knew exactly how FFP works and the pros and cons of it, but thanks for your input

Totally agree, would give football back to the fans as well, particularly lower end clubs. Would make football much cheaper and competitive and would be a good thing.

The big clubs will probably realise what they would be missing if the super league happened. They would be in my opinion look elitist, they may have all the money, but in time us fans will eventually have the power.

Just think, many more kids will want to go to see there local team. I would rather have a kid from Nottingham go and support Forest/County rather than Man Yoo/Citeh/Arse etc.

The 'die hards' would probably just found new clubs in their place anyway, like FC United of Manchester.

I'm all for the European super league, rids us of the plastics!

• 1 month later...

Bought low, sold high.

Sold at the right time.

Prolific academy.

Have a footballing philosophy that doesn't depend on the specific first team coach.

All that said, of course they'll fall away, but after a seriously transitional summer it looks as if they'll make the top 10 again.

Smart owner. Continuing the philosophy and getting in one hell of a manager to fit right into it. Didn't expect such quick results but those that came in poaching their players underestimated how much of a team they were. Complimenting each other. Like us.

Hope they do well.

Archived