Can someone explain why this is happening??

-JW-

Jingoism has it's place....at International matches and big cup finals.

Supporting troops and remembering the fallen have their places too.

Those are Armed Forces Day and Remembrance Sunday.

For me, and many others, tangible support for recently fallen occurs at their repatriations and funerals. God knows I've attended enough of them as Chairman of a National Branch of the British Legion over the years.

When you can offer the families of the fallen a shoulder to cry on, support where they really need it and the respect of everyone around them, that's what counts. Not (IMHO) applauding at a totally unconnected event like this.

I've seen friends and comrades pay the ultimate price and I know for a fact that they'd be at the big NAAFI Bar up ^^^^^ there shaking their heads and asking their muckers what the hell was going on down here.

And if it's worth anything to anyone.....I'd be doing the same thing if it had been me buying the farm somewhere hot and sandy or somewhere less so, like outside one my old Regimental HQs in Woolwich. (I was a Gunner for 6 years and then Green Slime for 7 more).

I know the person who organises the Ride for Lee Rigby from Greenwich Park to Woolwich too. Perhaps people could attend that; when and where it really means something.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you need to get off your high horse and grow up. If they are a catchy tune I don't care. I am happy in Dublin, Londonderry and Belfast listening to some fine anti British songs but the tunes are great. You seem to have your own agenda that you are spouting on here. Get over yourself. I don't recall all of this over bearing nonsense when Rangers were generously in town for Tinman.

Boll

Can't believe anyone would even question the motives behind this but ill put a few people straight.....

1) lee Rigby was savagely butchered and attacked on our shores as he left his camp

2) Glasgow rangers are a Scottish club that are proud of their British heritage

3) this is a show remembrance, unity and togetherness.

God save the queen, Rule Britannia and finally god bless Glasgow rangers and their fans. Non of whom would be sick enough to question the motives behind this.... Up the rams and Gers

Can't believe anyone would even question the motives behind this but ill put a few people straight.....

1) lee Rigby was savagely butchered and attacked on our shores as he left his camp

God save the queen, Rule Britannia and finally god bless Glasgow rangers and their fans. Non of whom would be sick enough to question the motives behind this.... Up the rams and Gers

Have you read anything on this thread at all?

Yes but what has this got to do with football in general and DCFC in particular?

Is it optional? Yes

Will you make yourself look ridiculous if you don't take part? Most definitely

So how is it optional then? I don't want to 'look ridiculous' that's the only reason I might have joined in, peer pressure. Although, at this stage I'm now absolutely positive I won't join in, based on the support of people I respect on here.

God bless the old boy who posted earlier who will not be pressured into taking part. Will he look ridiculous?

Don't just read the first couple of pages, read the last few pages, there are some very valid points from vets, and people currently serving in the regs and reserves (including myself). Once you've done that, come back and tell me I'll look ridiculous.

I got half way down and felt phisically sick

firstly has Chris Webster come round and forced anyone to take part in this? No

Is it optional? Yes

Will you make yourself look ridiculous if you don't take part? Most definitely

Can you tell me exactly how the last 2 points are compatible?

Are you not British?

Do you not feel proud to be British when a team from Scotland comes down with hundreds of British flags?

Do you not feel even more proud when the belt out god save our queen?

What happened too lee Rigby was a massive slap in the face to British people everywhere, we lost a man that had served over seas on our own shores. If the most pro British team coming down doesn't make you feel that pride and unity then you AREN'T and never will be British.

It really is a simple as that, like I've said Rangers fans wouldn't question this. This is a bunch of miserable idiots who now they can't complain about the football will try and find something else too moan about....

I thought Lee Rigby was returning to his camp, could be wrong mind. But if I am correct you should get your facts right before "putting people straight"

For me, Lee Rigby's murder was a hineous crime, as was the murder of the Leeds school teacher brutally murdered while she went about her business of trying to contribute to her pupils futures, why no applause for her ? Is she less worthy ?

We have Armed Forces Day and Rememberance Day to remember fallen service men and women.

Lee Rigby had no allegiance to my club and I feel there is something not quite right about this whole thing.

Oops, just read your last post, no point in even trying to engage in dialogue with you so for that reason, I'm out of this ridiculous arguement of yours. 

Are you not British?

Do you not feel proud to be British when a team from Scotland comes down with hundreds of British flags?

Do you not feel even more proud when the belt out god save our queen?

What happened too lee Rigby was a massive slap in the face to British people everywhere, we lost a man that had served over seas on our own shores. If the most pro British team coming down doesn't make you feel that pride and unity then you AREN'T and never will be British.

It really is a simple as that, like I've said Rangers fans wouldn't question this. This is a bunch of miserable idiots who now they can't complain about the football will try and find something else too moan about....

Takes one to know one I suppose. 

You're just a congregation of internet bullies, I've joined this forum as I'm a friend of Chris Webster's.

You have personally attacked a man that gains nothing from this and does a hell of a lot for charity. All the above people mentioned deserve rememberance, pehaps if you could drag yourself away from your keyboard for more than a few hours you could arrange an event? No....

Yeah you're right best not venture out the house eh, you keep tearing strips of someone doing something charitable and wanking into empty pot noodle pots loooool ******* wierdos and I've put my name up for all too see so if anyone's got a problem come and get in touch and we'll "talk" face to face.....

Nathan, calm down.

Rememberance day for the armed forces is set aside as 11th November each year. Each family/individual can remember (if they choose) to think about those who died. Those such as myself who are questioning this are not anti Lee Rigby, far from it. He died in an horrific manner. In my opinion however his rememberance has nothing to do with football or DCFC. and should not be happening just because Derby are playing Glasgow Rangers.

The nationalistic stuff is personal choice.

You're just a congregation of internet bullies, I've joined this forum as I'm a friend of Chris Webster's.

You have personally attacked a man that gains nothing from this and does a hell of a lot for charity. All the above people mentioned deserve rememberance, pehaps if you could drag yourself away from your keyboard for more than a few hours you could arrange an event? No....

Yeah you're right best not venture out the house eh, you keep tearing strips of someone doing something charitable and wanking into empty pot noodle pots loooool ******* wierdos and I've put my name up for all too see so if anyone's got a problem come and get in touch and we'll "talk" face to face.....

Good, in that case can you please tell him to take his stupid idea elsewhere then.

As for the rest of your bullying, nasty, knuckle dragging comments, I can't even be bothered to engage with them. Other than to say I couldn't disagree more.

"What happened too lee Rigby was a massive slap in the face to British people everywhere, we lost a man that had served over seas on our own shores. If the most pro British team coming down doesn't make you feel that pride and unity then you AREN'T and never will be British."

That's like some sort of EDL speech.

If you'd read the thread then you'd see the opinions of several British soldiers that have served in armed forces.

What happened to Lee Rigby was a vile crime. Vile crimes are committed every minute of everyday all across the world. Women raped, children raped, men tortured, boys recruited into militias and forced to burn their village, chemical attacks on civilians in the name of war... etc.

Where are these peoples minutes applause/silence?

Where is the applause for the Iraqi men marched to their executions?

You support British armed forces at the relevant charities.

Can't we just go to football and be pro Derby County? Can't we just keep it about football not politics?

Like I said, the applause at Wembley for Bloomfield felt genuine. He seems a nice guy and had a football connection. He served football ( though only to us) and he served Derby County fans.

This feels forced and inappropriate. I don't understand why we've gone back to Lee Rigby. British soldiers have died since then. Vile crimes have been committed since then. Why not go back to the victims of Raoul Moat?

I'll tell you why. Because Rangers, just like their rivals Celtic, they can't let football be about football. Both clubs fans have to drone on with their political and religious stances. It's football!!

Archived