Can someone explain why this is happening??

-JW-

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Minutes-applause-murdered-solder-Lee-Rigby-held/story-21236570-detail/story.html

A MINUTE'S applause will be held at a Rams pre-season friendly to show solidarity for the family of murdered soldier, Fusilier Drummer Lee Rigby.

The clapping will be at the 22nd minute of the game between Derby County and Glasgow Rangers at the iPro Stadium on Saturday, August 2.

Drummer Rigby was killed on the afternoon of May 22 by Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale near the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich, London.

Former Territorial Army medic Chris Webster is organising the show of support.

The 40-year-old, of Chaddesdden, said: "It's for his family and to show that everybody remembers the sacrifices our soldiers have made."

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should set the day off with a nice atmosphere, however, I'm with JW in the fact it seems a bit needless.

Tragic event, horrible beyond words. But, I don't understand why we're doing it. It seems a bit political. 

I'll join in though, because it is the right thing to do. 

The one in the play off semi final made sense as not one other team remembered the 56.

The one in the final made me proud . A highly respected journalist who covered the rams and also raised awareness of melanoma uk. Completely agreed with it.

Lee Rigby i can understand because it will unite both sets of fans

However, we can't make it a regular thing to do the clap thing in a certain minute because it won't mean anything if we do!

QPR started the applause for Lee at Wembley didn't they? Loads of us joined in with that, so he needn't be 'disgusted'.

Very much against this I'm afraid. There are times and places for shows of respect and rememberance and as many have pointed out this game and date has no relevance.

For me 11th November is the date for a public demonstration that we are eternally grateful to fallen soldiers.

It may sound heartless but this just seems like someone seeking publicity and using DCFC to do it.

No from me.

On the anniversary fine it was a terrible crime, but this has no relevance to Derby, Rangers or football in general and will only serve to diminish the memory/meaning of the event. 

Not sure why anyone would even suggest it other than to further there own agenda.

Archived