Can someone explain why this is happening??

-JW-

Not missing the point at all, in fact, (and ready for incoming for saying this) believe I am probably eminently more qualified than some contributors here to have an opinion on this one.

I get the sentiment, I really do, but November 11th is our day to remember ALL of the fallen and their families, not any other random date. Fall in with the veterans (Jeez, a veteran at 47!) on that date and tell me why is should be sacrosanct.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the sort of jingoistic tubthumping that comes with entertaining Rangers. It has nothing to do with 'showing respect'; Lee Rigby's tragic death is, once again, just being exploited by those with a right wing nationalist agenda. We are a multicultural community, and this is as divisive as it is irrelevant.

I had already decided not to go to this game because of the way Rangers politicize sport, and I really don't want to see my club on the same bandwagon.

And why a minute of applause?

Not being funny but the guy was murdered in the street. An unremarkable life that ended in sudden, tragic circumstances. What are we applauding exactly? "Go on my son! You're in my top 10 murder victims!! CLAP CLAP CLAP!"

Normally the minute of applause if for people who have done remarkable things and where a minute of silence would seem inapproriately sombre.

A minute's silence in this case would seem more appropriate but I guess the club have just agreed to a minute's applause to shut this fella up, knowing full well that the vast majority will either ignore it ot join in without really knowing what it's for

I hope the club aren't pandering to this nonsense and in some way endorsing this. 

I for one won't be joining in because I don't see the point or relevance of this.

And when my kids ask my why people are clapping I will simply say I have no idea. I don't want to talk to them about people being murdered when we are meant to be at a game enjoying ourselves.  

I hope the club aren't pandering to this nonsense and in some way endorsing this.

I for one won't be joining in because I don't see the point or relevance of this.

And when my kids ask my why people are clapping I will simply say I have no idea. I don't want to talk to them about people being murdered when we are meant to be at a game enjoying ourselves.

Hear, hear!

applause for Colin - shows we care, we're behind him.

applause on the anniversary of the Bradford tragedy - shows class, they won't be forgotten. 

applause for Lee Rigby? - erm.. attention seeking, trying to look good and has no relevance to the match at all. It's so obviously being done for the most shallow of reasons.

the lad got hacked to death in the streets and you lot a treating this with no respect :(

I can see where you're coming from - and we do have respect for Lee - but can't see why there's a minutes applause.

He has no relevance with this club, no connections...it's not even the anniversary of his death.

The only thing I can think of is this man organizing it is a TA medic who's from Derby and wants the club to show support to Lee's family.

I just find this action puzzling as Lee was not a Derby fan. It's a bit like one of us being clapped by Spurs. There's not really a significant point to it, unless it's either club or football related, or if he was a resident here.

the lad got hacked to death in the streets and you lot a treating this with no respect  :(

The previous two posts were clearly an error and a helpful response.

Personally, I don't think your statement about ''the lad got hacked to death' is the most eloquent or respectful.

If you actually read the posts carefully, I think every single one has shown respect to Lee Rigby. However, the disdain shown is for the organisers and (very very few) backers.

the lad got hacked to death in the streets and you lot a treating this with no respect  :(

Really? Its a good job you reminded us what happened because I don't think anyone knew.

Do you really think standing there clapping for a minute, at an event that only the attendees will see, is some major sign of respect?

Just out of interest, in what minute will you be applauding for all of the Iraqi soldiers that were rounded up and slaughtered this week?

You carry on using football matches to 'show your respects', I will carry on using them as a day out for enjoyment and use official days and charities for paying my respects.

Now that statement is just silly and unpleasant. We all know what happened and probably 99.99% of us abhor what happened. Many of us feel that applause for this and other non-football related issues is the wrong way to go. That doesn't mean that we don't care.

in all honesty i thought the lad who started this thread would have got slated by you lot because of the negativity shown towards this tribute. 

I would never of imagine that i'd be the only one for the idea.

How wrong was I? 

Why am i the one whose in the wrong for wanting to show my gratitude to the tribute? 

in all honesty i thought the lad who started this thread would have got slated by you lot because of the negativity shown towards this tribute.

How wrong was I?

Why am i the one whose in the wrong for wanting to show my gratitude to the tribute?

Because the tribute is happening for all the wrong reasons. Anyone who can't see that is stupid.

How wrong was I? 

You're not 'in the wrong'. If you want to clap, great go ahead, but I for one don't like being press ganged or emotionally black-mailed.

Archived