Shaun Barker

Cardifframs

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Insurance only pays out when a player gives up the game due to injury, the payment is usually shared between the club and the player, split I assume based on the remaining length of the players contract.

There are some player who receive a payout then recover a few years later but can never play above non-league (or overseas) as they would have to repay the money if they were ever to play UK league football again.

Wages for players out injured are entirely the responsibility of the club and not covered by insurance.

Not true. When I was a club secretary, I had to arrange insurance for both players and spectators. There were a number of options available where they were paid a lump sum dependent on the injury, plus a weekly amount for the period they were incapacitated to cover potential loss of earnings.

It was a rule for the league that you needed public liability insurance, to cover the chance that a wayward shot hit an old bloke walking his dog and caused injury.

I would imagine Derby have a far more extensive solution in place...

Not true. When I was a club secretary, I had to arrange insurance for both players and spectators. There were a number of options available where they were paid a lump sum dependent on the injury, plus a weekly amount for the period they were incapacitated to cover potential loss of earnings.

It was a rule for the league that you needed public liability insurance, to cover the chance that a wayward shot hit an old bloke walking his dog and caused injury.

I would imagine Derby have a far more extensive solution in place...

I am only reporting what a director of Football at a Championship club explained to me.  His take was that insurance to cover injury would cost the club a huge percentage of the contract e.g.5-10% of the contract value and was just not value for money for clubs so they did not insure wages.  Clearly, anything is insurable if you are prepared to pay the premium.  Maybe other clubs take a different approach and insure players salaries, but I do not think this is common in the footbal league from the explanation I received

I'm sure the deal we did for Barker meant halving his wages and doubling the remaining length of his contract.

Therefore giving him more time to recover and saving the club paying out as much for him whilst side lined so the reality is we have paid no more for him anyway and freed up some budget in the year.

He may never be the same player again but until he tries we don't know.

I was convinced he'd play again, but now I'm not so sure.

He's got quite afew side projects going on with DJing, clothing ranges and charity work.

Can't see him returning, but will still be within the club to some extent having just built a place here.

Apparently, he was seen sprinting down his drive towards the postman after he'd posted the "missed delivery" card through the door and knocked lightly.

No adverse reactions, although in the end it was a parcel for his missus, and not the new CD off Amazon he'd been waiting in all morning for.

I'm very relieved to hear there were no adverse reactions, but whatever happened to the good, old fashioned postie and the good, old fashioned, British knock? You know, the one you could hear down the bottom of the garden.

Lets face it, when postmen knock these days, they just can't be arsed.
As your story highlights, they clearly don't give a damn what effect a light knock might have on someone recovering from a horrific knee injury.

I bet Kevin Hector never knocked lightly.

Barks is lucky that science has just got to the stage where he isn't crippled, let alone contemplating playing football again.

I'm very relieved to hear there were no adverse reactions, but whatever happened to the good, old fashioned postie and the good, old fashioned, British knock? You know, the one you could hear down the bottom of the garden.

Lets face it, when postmen knock these days, they just can't be arsed.

As your story highlights, they clearly don't give a damn what effect a light knock might have on someone recovering from a horrific knee injury.

I bet Kevin Hector never knocked lightly.

My postie never knocks lightly, especially when I'm on nights  :angry:

Hmmmmm. ..let me guess.....now, which knee is slightly swollen?!?!

Looks like my right knee after I had it replaced. Honestly, I'm amazed he's making any sort of comeback after that one.

Fair play though cos these knees (see what I did there) are actually pretty difficult to get right after a bad injury. I should flamin' know lol. I can barely walk now.

Barks is lucky that science has just got to the stage where he isn't crippled, let alone contemplating playing football again.

Totally. This is a massive injury and 20 years ago he would have been struggling to have a normal life in terms of mobility. He's putting in a huge amount of effort in an attempt to play again. I don't think he will make it but that work that will benefit him in his long term health/mobility which is a very positive thing considering how it could have been. 

Archived