Your favourite season

petersimple

22 years old so not much to pick from.. since I have started supporting Derby (1998/99) I think we have only finished in the top half about 4 times. This season is probably the pick of them all so far, haven't seen a Derby team play such convincingly good football and its nice to go to games with the feeling that we will win, even if we go a goal down! Apart from this one, the George Burley season was pretty great, Rasiak, Idiakez, Tommy Smith, Huddlestone, Reich, Bisgaard, an exciting, free-flowing team, shame Inigo and Rasiak got injured for the play offs, with them fully-fit i think we could have beaten Preston (who's best player at the time I seem to remember being a certain Eddie Lewis!!!) 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really ancient so remember the Clough (Snr) and MacKay glory years as a season ticket holder on the Popside. However favourite campaigns were coming out of the 3rd division with Arthur and the Burley 4th place, the latter because we were just awesome on our day, the former because I felt we were back.... But despite all that I don't think I have ever been as energised as with the current campaign simply because we seem to have come from nowhere with such sweet attacking football. Whatever happens from here, it has been an absolute pleasure.

1991-92: my first season ticket. Yes, it ended in bitter disappointment, but it was a fantastic roller-coaster of a season. We were all over the back pages, seemingly signing the best young players in the country and putting together a team that was really exciting when it clicked. And, of course, Bobby came back briefly.

Even the failures were exciting - going out of the cup 4-3 to Villa, winning in front of a packed house on the last day only to hear that results elsewhere had left us in 3rd, being 2-0 up at Blackburn in the playoffs only to lose 4-2, then giving it everything at the BBG in the 2nd leg but just falling short (a not-fully-fit Ted McMinn played centre-mid, I think?)

I really hope that this season doesn't end the same way, of course, but if it does I shall probably still look back on it just as fondly (and rank it higher in my list of favourites than promotion in 06-07, for example)

88/89 under Arthur Cox when we finished 5th. I was 16/17 and allowed to go to away matches on my own with the lads for the first time and we had some fantastic results in a season that saw us finish 5th. A superb season with the only downside not signing Lubos Kubic and Ivo Knoflicec (sp) and despite finishing 5th, the ban on English clubs stopped us qualifying for European football

I think mine would be 91-92. When I first felt the 'tribal' nature of going to football.

Cox was spending Pickering's money, and we were very competitive in a failed promotion campaign where many teams were flirting with the play-offs.

Players like Sutton and Taylor fought for the No1 jersey, we had Simon Coleman, Andy Comyn, Ormondroyd, Simmo, Jossie, McMinn, Gabbiadini, Kitson, Johnson, Pembridge etc. We played some lovely stuff, the atmosphere was electric, my voice constantly croaky....

oh, how I miss those couple of seasons.

1975/76 WAS a great season for the reasons petersimple describes but it tailed away in the end, after Charlie was injured, and also included the single worst football experience of my life, losing the FA Cup semi final.  I hate Hillsborough and no number of Bamford rockets will ever change my mind.

My dad hasn't returned to Hillsborough since and calls it the beginning of the end.

Find it hard to disagree with him on that one.

My favourite would be a toss up between 95/96 or 96/97. The promotion was really sweet after the earlier play off failures and then it was good to see us compete against the best players in the country as I hadn't seen this before.

Wouldn't say it's a favourite, but the best season I had in terms of finding out I truely supported Derby with a passion was the 11 point season, it simply taught me that supporting the team through such a dire, feeble spell earnt me the right to enjoy such seasons as were having now even more and to enjoy every success that comes, as you never know what's around the corner eh. :)

74/75.....brilliant, exciting football, Bruce Rioch smashing 20 yarders in, Colin Todd on a par with Bobby Moore, Archie at his peak,,,,,,local hero in Peter Daniel deputising for Roy Mac.........hardly missed a game home or away, champions of england......if carlsberg did seasons....... :wub:

My dad hasn't returned to Hillsborough since and calls it the beginning of the end.

Find it hard to disagree with him on that one.

Wonderful thing hindsight, but I think your Dad's right Duracell. It was a slow but steady descent after that semi-final, arrested during the Cox years (until Maxwell started throwing his toys out), rebuilt with Jim (until Lionel and Jim started to struggle) and, seemingly, only now back on reasonable track, with one or two touches of glory in-between.

If Charlie hadn't been done by Denis Smith and we had won that FA Cup, and possibly done the double in the days when that was a big deal, then who knows? I think we might have needed better off field management as well but...........

Ah well. Ifs, buts and maybes. All adds to the joy of supporting our wonderful club

Wonderful thing hindsight, but I think your Dad's right Duracell. It was a slow but steady descent after that semi-final, arrested during the Cox years (until Maxwell started throwing his toys out), rebuilt with Jim (until Lionel and Jim started to struggle) and, seemingly, only now back on reasonable track, with one or two touches of glory in-between.

If Charlie hadn't been done by Denis Smith and we had won that FA Cup, and possibly done the double in the days when that was a big deal, then who knows? I think we might have needed better off field management as well but...........

Ah well. Ifs, buts and maybes. All adds to the joy of supporting our wonderful club

Peaks and troughs, isn't it. Trouble is, since the '70s our peaks have been a bit less peaky and our troughs more troughy.

We're not the only club of considerable size to be mis-managed into a number of crises, just ours have bitten a little bit harder. The reality is we're a club still paying for what happened in the late 1970s, unable to sustain a top tier status which is surely not beyond us.

That cup semi is the one you can pin-point. From there on in, our off-field troubles started to affect us on the pitch too. It's a nice thought that we could have won the double but I don't think that would have made a difference, because the poison had already set in.

We haven't shaken it off since. Maxwell, the Three Amigoes...and to think some complain about GSE.

96-97 BBG, our first season in Prem. Chelsea 3-2 Ashley Ward last min and Coventry in FA Cup, 3-2 win after being 2-0 down are a couple of personal highlights.

1975/76 WAS a great season for the reasons petersimple describes but it tailed away in the end, after Charlie was injured, and also included the single worst football experience of my life, losing the FA Cup semi final.  I hate Hillsborough and no number of Bamford rockets will ever change my mind.

But the season before - 1974/75 - when we won the first division title and played some sublime football was my favourite, only nearly matched by 1995/96, the Jim Smith promotion year.  In 74/75 we went to matches, home and away, not wondering whether or not we would win but by how many. Happy days and happy memories. 

That semi-final defeat seems to be when the rot started. Even the way the sale of the tickets was organised seemed to indicate that something was wrong with the way the club was run. I asked for two hours off work so I could go down to the ground to get my tickets, but when I saw the size of the queues I knew that I had no chance of a ticket. From what I remember they were just using the office to sell the tickets. It was a working day and it looked like half of Derby was forming a queue outside the office. Why didn't they use the turnstiles? They could even have sold the tickets at a reserve game so that thousands of us wouldn't have had to take time off work. The fact that you needed special tokens from the programmes to qualify for a ticket was bad enough but to make us queue for hours was ridiculous. As it turned out a lot of those tickets ended up in Manchester.

74/75.....brilliant, exciting football, Bruce Rioch smashing 20 yarders in, Colin Todd on a par with Bobby Moore, Archie at his peak,,,,,,local hero in Peter Daniel deputising for Roy Mac.........hardly missed a game home or away, champions of england......if carlsberg did seasons....... :wub:

Saves me a job :) .. the years leading up to it weren't bad either.

Archived