Your favourite season

petersimple

That semi-final defeat seems to be when the rot started. Even the way the sale of the tickets was organised seemed to indicate that something was wrong with the way the club was run. I asked for two hours off work so I could go down to the ground to get my tickets, but when I saw the size of the queues I knew that I had no chance of a ticket. From what I remember they were just using the office to sell the tickets. It was a working day and it looked like half of Derby was forming a queue outside the office. Why didn't they use the turnstiles? They could even have sold the tickets at a reserve game so that thousands of us wouldn't have had to take time off work. The fact that you needed special tokens from the programmes to qualify for a ticket was bad enough but to make us queue for hours was ridiculous. As it turned out a lot of those tickets ended up in Manchester.

My memory may may well be fading but I recall sleeping on the pavement outside the ground along with many others one Saturday night, to get my semi final ticket. I remember we played at Middlesborough that afternoon and won (?1-0) and were on match of the day that night. Someone brought a black and white portable TV down, set it up on their car roof and we all crowded round to watch. They opened the ticket office about 30 minutes early but as Petersimple says that was it

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread! Am a bit torn between 1991/92 and 1995/96 as I only started following in '87.

91/92 came after 3 years of being financially starved, a real Derby fan finally owned the club & we showed some real intent buying Kitson, Gabbiadini, Pembridge etc. Paticularly memorable for that last 2/3 months when we couldn't stop winning just as Blackburn were falling to bits. Was absolutely convinced we were going up on that last day.....and then Boro scored to nick 2nd place. Exciting times, if ultimately frustrating but tempered by the thought we'd walk the division the next year. How wrong I was!

95/96 was fantastic for different reasons. Started with very little hype & folk being pretty unimpressed by a solid managerial appointment. Started slowly with a bunch of low profile players & then bang, in walked Stimac! Great management by a very, very good manager. Fantastic final day too - nowt like a bit of tension to make the final promotion that much more intense.

Honourable mention for '04/05 - absolutely loved that Burley team. Thoroughly outplayed so many teams, so sad we couldn't build on those foundations.

91/92 came after 3 years of being financially starved, a real Derby fan finally owned the club & we showed some real intent buying Kitson, Gabbiadini, Pembridge etc.

I liked those players. Short was another one I liked. That team had a lot of class and many of those players went on to prove themselves in the top division. From what I remember we spent a lot of money on that team but I think we got it all back.

I liked those players. Short was another one I liked. That team had a lot of class and many of those players went on to prove themselves in the top division. From what I remember we spent a lot of money on that team but I think we got it all back.

I was never a fan of Kitson! Thought he was a very selfish player and not in it for the team.

Remember loads of occasions where he would be the first player to a ball out wide and rather than cross it to Gabbi or Johnson, Who had made a run into the box, He would wait for somebody to come out wide so that he could pass it to them and make a run into the box himself.

Archived