Your favorite battering ram

SK47

I saw a post in another thread about how Leeds always had players in there team that had reputations of being hard in the tackle (if you could class assault as tackling.) And it got me thinking about some of the players we've had that loved a tackle.

I don't know why, maybe it's the fact im only 25 and wasn't around when Franny Lee was playing, but my favorite from my era was probably Seth Johnson. Always put his heart into a tackle even though he wernt the biggest.

Who was your favorite?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave Mackay was past his best when he came to us, But still didn't shirk a challenge and players knew he was around.

Steve Buckley could really pack a wallop if he was upset or was seeking revenge after a team mate had been hurt. Remember the popside chanting "Bucko's gonna get you" After a Derby player had been fouled.

Mickey Lewis was pure animal and just seemed to go around putting in hard tackles, Not always timed well.

Rob Hindmarch was hard as nails didn't care who he was up against in the physical stakes. I remember him against George Berry at Wolves and Berry was trying to bully him at a corner, Ball comes over and Berry ends up in a heap in the goalmouth, Hindmarch trots away smiling.

Geraint Williams was not a dirty player, But would hit hard when the need arose.

Can't believe I can remember his name, but who was the big defender we had that got sent off when someone ran into him and their manager said he's built like a wwe wrestler, so he didn't blame his man for going down easy.

Aah, can't believe I can't remember it...

Darren Moore, that's the fella.

Have to agree with this one, Steve Powell was my favourite. He might not have been the biggest name but he would run through brick walls for the rams and he showed no respect for opposition reputations. My favourite memory was when he went right through Kevin Keegan and dumped him on his a*se in the match against Newcastle when we came back from 2 down to win 3-2 at the BBG.

I can dimly remember going to Old Trafford as a kid in the 70's and seeing someone sent off for fighting with George Best. Was that Steve Powell or is my memory playing tricks, it was a long time ago.

In terms of commitment, Bucko reminds me a lot of Steve Powell when I watch him now.

Have to agree with this one, Steve Powell was my favourite. He might not have been the biggest name but he would run through brick walls for the rams and he showed no respect for opposition reputations. My favourite memory was when he went right through Kevin Keegan and dumped him on his a*se in the match against Newcastle when we came back from 2 down to win 3-2 at the BBG.

I can dimly remember going to Old Trafford as a kid in the 70's and seeing someone sent off for fighting with George Best. Was that Steve Powell or is my memory playing tricks, it was a long time ago.

In terms of commitment, Bucko reminds me a lot of Steve Powell when I watch him now.

I don't remember that incident with Powell and Best but found this footage with Georgie at Baseball ground but you need to watch after the crown scenes.

Love the crazy Rams socks with the 2 bands.

http://bps.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00091000/00091038.mp4.m3u8

All the above are good but to add three:

Colin Todd could be as hard as nails in a tackle - I clearly remember him dumping Malcolm MacDonald when we played Newcastle once, completely fairly even if one of today's referees was in charge.  MacDonald limped away from the tackle and those were the days when centre forwards got their retaliation in first

Willie Carlin was another vertically challenged midfielder but he added significant steel to our midfield and 'made' that side tick.

And on the same lines, but much, much better, was Archie Gemmill.  Boy did you know if he tackled you.

The 75 winning team had Todd, Rioch and Archie who. as well as being top class footballers could put a crunching tackle in when needed. In Bruce's case, sometimes when not needed!

Rod Thomas was not shy either in that team, plus Steve Powell, so quite a strong physical team yet played such sumptuous football.

For pure suicidal bravery in more recent times you'd struggle to match Michael Johnson. 

Not many truly dirty players over the years tbf, although i'm sure the gumps will find someone who bullied them.

All the above are good but to add three:

Colin Todd could be as hard as nails in a tackle - I clearly remember him dumping Malcolm MacDonald when we played Newcastle once, completely fairly even if one of today's referees was in charge.  MacDonald limped away from the tackle and those were the days when centre forwards got their retaliation in first

Willie Carlin was another vertically challenged midfielder but he added significant steel to our midfield and 'made' that side tick.

And on the same lines, but much, much better, was Archie Gemmill.  Boy did you know if he tackled you.

Er......hum.

Carlin was as good as Gemmill.

Archived