Your favorite battering ram

SK47

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Er......hum.

Carlin was as good as Gemmill.

I wouldn't agree with this - no, not in a million lifetimes. Willie was a professional who spent much of his career at the lower levels of league football, whereas Archie won three league championships and 42 international caps. Willie was a very effective midfielder, surprisingly hard-tackling and excellent in the 'fetch and carry' role, whereas Archie was a world class player.

In recent times, Steve Howard knew how to put himself about and could handle himself (don't ever remember him getting sent off for Derby but believe he had an awful disciplinary record at Luton).

Darren Moore was built like a brick outhouse but wasn't overly dirty.

Martin Kuhl was a dirty little so and so.

Mick Harford probably stands out as the player I would not want to meet down a dark alley.

Mark Wright had a very nasty streak in him....just ask Trevor Putney!

I know Gemmill was a good player because people have told me that but I am too young to have seen him play. As a result I only think off him as being a forest fan, always comes across as having nothing but contempt for Derby.

Why on Earth would Gemmill be a Forest fan? Played over 300 games and won 2 league titles for Derby, went to Forest and won a league title there, got dropped from the side before their first European Cup Final, never played for them again, sold to Birmingham, eventually came back to Derby where he finished his career?

Steve Buckley - Hard as nails, strong as an ox.

Steve Powell - Always put a shift in.

Georgie Williams - Midfield engine room, probably more of a snapping terrier than a bone cruncher.

Mark Wright - Had it all for me, strength, pace, skill, great timing and when needed a real mean streak.

Rob Hindmarch - Not much pace or finesse, but effective at what he did.

Gemmill & Rioch - Both could have their moments, seemed to have a vindictive streak.

Mick Harford - Certainly put it about throughout his career.

I actually used to like Rob Hulse's bravery. He couldn't win a header, but he never shirked a tackle, same can be said of Steven Davies. But it's fair to say that we will never see players like that of 20+ years ago.

Davies got his faced smashed for us didn't he, so fair play to him. Although, if it was twenty years ago he would have carried on playing and still got a headed hat trick.

Why on Earth would Gemmill be a Forest fan? Played over 300 games and won 2 league titles for Derby, went to Forest and won a league title there, got dropped from the side before their first European Cup Final, never played for them again, sold to Birmingham, eventually came back to Derby where he finished his career?

Spent years in the forest backroom staff though, son played for forest, just the impression I get when I've heard him speak

I wouldn't agree with this - no, not in a million lifetimes. Willie was a professional who spent much of his career at the lower levels of league football, whereas Archie won three league championships and 42 international caps. Willie was a very effective midfielder, surprisingly hard-tackling and excellent in the 'fetch and carry' role, whereas Archie was a world class player.

Willie was great.

The 75 winning team had Todd, Rioch and Archie who. as well as being top class footballers could put a crunching tackle in when needed. In Bruce's case, sometimes when not needed!

Rod Thomas was not shy either in that team, plus Steve Powell, so quite a strong physical team yet played such sumptuous football.

For pure suicidal bravery in more recent times you'd struggle to match Michael Johnson. 

Not many truly dirty players over the years tbf, although i'm sure the gumps will find someone who bullied them.

Sorry for going retro but that how it is dave mac was a brute of a man and a fine player,for me Colin Todd my hero was not only the pfa player of the year 74/75 but was deceptively fast and a crunchimg tackler,i would also mention a somewhat forgotten player that served the rams well Steve Powell another hard but fair player imo

Willie was great.

Where I think you are right Ramnut was that Willie Carlin 'made' that side - in the sense that we were better and more effective after he came than before. He won the ball and gave it to better players, he talked well, he was irritating to the opposition and was a good footballer.

In my view Archie had all those same qualities and 'made' the side he played in. But he was a much better footballer and played longer in better sides than Willie did, never mind his International career.

Archived