Automatic Promotion

Uptherams

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QPR have that strength in depth, if we lose Hughes and Bryson we're screwed

QPR have Barton, Carroll, Jenus, Kranjcar, Diakete and Benayoun all vying for central midfield roles.

Not to mention the likes of Clint Hill, Richard Dunne, Assou-Ekotto and Danny Simpson in there defence!

Leicester and QPR to go up

In fairness to the LOG,they spent nearly all the surplus cash that Prem season was to throw up along with the additional rights issue funds,so hardly the bare minimum.In fact I reckon their spending was more than most recently promoted clubs,although I'd concede the original team was far weaker.It wasn't so much the amount of spending that led to 11 points,but the quality of the signings.If you were to include the Jan madness,I reckon we spent approaching £20m overall,and it's a sobering thought that Stubbs was probably our most decent signing (along with Ghaly loan).

I suspect that those who think our owners will spend big if promoted are in for a big disappointment,as they're already up to their necks to the tune of something approaching £60m by now (probably).

Yes, but how else are they going to get it back - its not too much for a hedge fund to gamble is it??

I still say lecester and derby we are for the top 2

Straight four horse race now B4.

Leicester

QPR

Burnley 

Derby

Our never say die attitude will keep us picking up points. We'll win most of our home games and i always fancy us to get summat away so.........its really down to whether QPR and Burnley can maintain the pace!

Can't see anyone behind us catching us. No, scrap that, i can't see anyone behind us......the gaps too big :lol:

Yes, but how else are they going to get it back - its not too much for a hedge fund to gamble is it??

Not sure that one of the original investors being a hedge fund makes the whole thing a hedge fund,but I'll put that to one side.I think you're getting mixed up between investment and gambling-one of the arts of successful investing lies in the management of poorer performing ones,and this doesn't involve pouring great amounts of loot on top of what might already prove difficult to recover.The directors' report attaching to the 07/08 accounts (dated April 09) showed that even at that time their goal was the Prem by the end of 09/10 (recently backed up by Appleby's admission that they expected to be in our current position by the end of their second year).This means that the spending from 10/11 onwards (a considerable amount) had probably initially been earmarked as Prem spending.

Those who think the owners will have to spend big when we reach the Prem to get their money back are effectively saying that they'd have to recoup the massive outlay to date +this additional big spend just to break even.Even such big spending could go badly wrong and also eat into the parachute payments,if relegated.

Of the c£14m cash surplus on operations that 07/08 threw up,I'd reckon that the LOG probably spent around £11/12m (including agents'fees/League levy)in the first window,and £2m of this came from a rights issue,so you could say they probably committed around £10m of the £14m surplus.Because of the massive increase in Prem loot since,I'd guess that our next Prem season might throw up a surplus of about £24m,even allowing for S/T refunds (new commercial streams and increased S/T prices since last time to compensate).I'd certainly expect to see at least £20m (and that if we finished bottom again).Therefore,to match what the LOG did,they'd probably need to spend somewhere around £20m-I suspect they'd try to restrict players' wages to somewhere around the £23m recorded last time.

Personally,I don't even think that they'd spend this amount.I think they'd aim for 2 or 3 quality season long loans (with no ongoing financial liabilities if relegated) and try to make sure that any transfer fee spend was focussed.I could even envisage them chipping away at their current exposure, if circumstances allowed. 

Straight four horse race now B4.

Leicester

QPR

Burnley 

Derby

Our never say die attitude will keep us picking up points. We'll win most of our home games and i always fancy us to get summat away so.........its really down to whether QPR and Burnley can maintain the pace!

Can't see anyone behind us catching us. No, scrap that, i can't see anyone behind us......the gaps too big :lol:

Who'd want to see anyone behind us? :lol:

Not only learned our lesson, but also we won't have Billy Davies as manager.

In retrospect it was a disaster waiting to happen. We had a board who wanted to spend the minimum amount of money and we had a manager with no Premiership credentials or contacts and an alleged certain reputation amongst a lot of other club boards and agents. Is it any wonder we didn't manage to sign anyone half decent?

At least this time we have a well-respected CEO who has been a top agent in the past and a manager who is well-respected as a top coach and nice bloke.

I think if we went up we'd struggle to stay up, but I can't see us building another 11 point team

It won't happen again in our lifetime - an absolute freak of a season. I don't think anyone could predict winning one game all season.

I just can't see us getting automatic promotion, but I'm not sure why, perhaps just instinctive pessimism.

Could be a while before it comes back round, if we do miss out. I imagine we'd lose Bryson, Hughes, Wisdom, possibly Hendrick and possibly Martin. Hell of a rebuild needed if we don't make it.

QPR have that strength in depth, if we lose Hughes and Bryson we're screwed

QPR have Barton, Carroll, Jenus, Kranjcar, Diakete and Benayoun all vying for central midfield roles.

Not to mention the likes of Clint Hill, Richard Dunne, Assou-Ekotto and Danny Simpson in there defence!

Leicester and QPR to go up

At least 4 if not 5 of those QPR players are injured at the min. Re: Harry Redknapps comments about needing to bring players in. He played Benoit at rb last game.

Granted derby have been fortunate to not have too many injuries at once but I feel we could cope wit one or two injuries and still push most teams.

I feel that we are now in a brilliant position to really go for it in games. Play to win at all costs, we surely can afford to lose a couple and still secure play offs. We surely must look to put a decent winning run together again and we will be in the promised land again very soon

QPR is full of has been players so they won't survive next season in the premier league. I think we'll stay where we are and it'll be us vs dirties in the semis

Dirties seem to be in complete meltdown at the moment. 1 point in their last 5 games, which included a 6-0 drubbing by the Wendies, does not a playoff side make.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived