Automatic Promotion

Uptherams

Not only learned our lesson, but also we won't have Billy Davies as manager.

In retrospect it was a disaster waiting to happen. We had a board who wanted to spend the minimum amount of money and we had a manager with no Premiership credentials or contacts and an alleged certain reputation amongst a lot of other club boards and agents. Is it any wonder we didn't manage to sign anyone half decent?

At least this time we have a well-respected CEO who has been a top agent in the past and a manager who is well-respected as a top coach and nice bloke.

I think if we went up we'd struggle to stay up, but I can't see us building another 11 point team

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In retrospect it was a disaster waiting to happen. We had a board who wanted to spend the minimum amount of money and we had a manager with no Premiership credentials or contacts and an alleged certain reputation amongst a lot of other club boards and agents. Is it any wonder we didn't manage to sign anyone half decent?

At least this time we have a well-respected CEO who has been a top agent in the past and a manager who is well-respected as a top coach and nice bloke.

I think if we went up we'd struggle to stay up, but I can't see us building another 11 point team

I'd happily say our current squad was much better than the team the went up on 2006/7. It's a team that's capable of scoring more than twice in a game..

And as you said, a backroom staff that is doing a much better job of running the club, and a coaching staff that really knows their stuff.

New Board

New CEO

New set of youthful players, that are desired assets.

New Coaching staff with experience in the prem

New outlook from the fans in terms of how we splash the cash.

Why wouldn't it be good to get promoted? And if it was automatic, we would have more time to buy players instead of having to rush signings after going through the playoffs.

New Board

New CEO

New set of youthful players, that are desired assets.

New Coaching staff with experience in the prem

New outlook from the fans in terms of how we splash the cash.

Why wouldn't it be good to get promoted? And if it was automatic, we would have more time to buy players instead of having to rush signings after going through the playoffs.

Signings?

You mean season long loans surely.

In fairness to the LOG,they spent nearly all the surplus cash that Prem season was to throw up along with the additional rights issue funds,so hardly the bare minimum.In fact I reckon their spending was more than most recently promoted clubs,although I'd concede the original team was far weaker.It wasn't so much the amount of spending that led to 11 points,but the quality of the signings.If you were to include the Jan madness,I reckon we spent approaching £20m overall,and it's a sobering thought that Stubbs was probably our most decent signing (along with Ghaly loan).

I suspect that those who think our owners will spend big if promoted are in for a big disappointment,as they're already up to their necks to the tune of something approaching £60m by now (probably).

Be surprised with top 2 but far from impossible :D

Frogggy,many moons ago (and I wish it had come earlier) someone told me the best way to get through life was to continually set yourself goals.The rules were that the targets shouldn't be too soft,but should be tough yet achievable.It didn't matter if you didn't achieve the goal,because in striving for it you would usually push yourself beyond any softer target you may have set.Only when the goal became unachievable would you reset it (to something tough).It served me well.

So how does this apply to us.We're embedded in the top six,so that as a target appears too soft,which leaves us with automatic promotion or the title.Is the title achievable? Yes,it is,and over a fairly short period recently we very nearly reeled Leicester in.Therefore,imo,the title should be our goal-we should be gutted with every defeat and disappointed with every draw (not to say that these wouldn't come in handy in the final analysis).I believe this attitude is our best chance of automatic promotion,even if we fall short of the number one target.

So yes,you're quite right in saying not impossible, as long as the belief and desire are there.If not,it's not going to be achievable.

Frogggy,many moons ago (and I wish it had come earlier) someone told me the best way to get through life was to continually set yourself goals.The rules were that the targets shouldn't be too soft,but should be tough yet achievable.It didn't matter if you didn't achieve the goal,because in striving for it you would usually push yourself beyond any softer target you may have set.Only when the goal became unachievable would you reset it (to something tough).It served me well.

So how does this apply to us.We're embedded in the top six,so that as a target appears too soft,which leaves us with automatic promotion or the title.Is the title achievable? Yes,it is,and over a fairly short period recently we very nearly reeled Leicester in.Therefore,imo,the title should be our goal-we should be gutted with every defeat and disappointed with every draw (not to say that these wouldn't come in handy in the final analysis).I believe this attitude is our best chance of automatic promotion,even if we fall short of the number one target.

So yes,you're quite right in saying not impossible, as long as the belief and desire are there.If not,it's not going to be achievable.

Yep ramblur, I'm with you on this one 

Yep ramblur, I'm with you on this one 

Thanks.Unfortunately I'm not convinced that real belief is there,otherwise I suspect we would have gone hell for leather against Leicester-a bit of an acid test for me.

Thanks.Unfortunately I'm not convinced that real belief is there,otherwise I suspect we would have gone hell for leather against Leicester-a bit of an acid test for me.

You know, your right again. I live in Coalville and watching the match amongst Fester fans was painful. I don't want to be negative. SM has been amazing, but being happy with your squad is a sign of lack of belief. 

You know, your right again. I live in Coalville and watching the match amongst Fester fans was painful. I don't want to be negative. SM has been amazing, but being happy with your squad is a sign of lack of belief. 

Not sure about the last bit.Being happy with a squad is in fact a sign of belief in them.Sometimes it's not about managers and I think we sometimes forget it's actually players that perform (or otherwise) on the pitch.To me,we carried an inferiority complex into the game-we must reverse this against the likes of QPR and Burnley (and Blackburn,from past performances) if we're to truly flourish.I know we can beat these teams.

Archived