Automatic Promotion

Uptherams

Losing to Leicester was not the end of our promotion push. They are top of the table, so out of every team we could have lost to they are the side we should least worry about. Hopefully they will also pick up wins against teams around us also fighting for automatic promotion.

If Leicester slip up there are 5 teams gunning for automatic promotion. If they do, hopefully it will be against bottom half teams. If not then there are 4 teams fighting for that second spot.

We are not aiming for a play off place. We are possibly only 8 wins away from a play off place. Our aim is that second spot. Results could go our way today and we didn't get to where we are on luck. We can get second spot for 85 points. That would mean in 2014 we could be 3 points worse than in 2013 and possibly get automatic promotion. 

People must not forget that in our first 9 games of the season we only managed 11 points. Let us not panic and see how we compare after our first 9 matches of 2014. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion differs,

The likes of Ipswich, Forest, Wigan and Reading will have very very strong finishes.

Playoff spot is my aim.

The sooner we get 9 wins to guarantee that playoff spot the better.

If we get the 9 wins early then maybe we could be in chance of automatic promotion. However I don't think we will be anywhere near the top 2 in 5 or 6 weeks time.

Top 2 will be Leicester and QPR, and frankly should be the amount they spend on players and wages.

We'll have had an excellent season if we finish in the top 6. If we do then it's anybody's for the final and promotion. I'd love another Wembley!

Im shocked at what some people are posting. How does anyone know what other teams will do. When did ipswich become good? You all started siging "the rams are going up" and now youre not sure we are barca after all. Hope we sign a couple more and get top six.

No one knows for sure but in seasons gone by teams like Forest, Bolton and Reading have made big movements in the latter stages of the season. Any team under mick McCarthy is likely to make a move, he has been promoted with very team he has managed I believe.

I don't know why people are suddenly shocked we are losing. Yes the run was unbelievable but the teams we played were nothing special.

My stance has never changed. I sang the "rams are going up" at all those games in the wining streak. However I never thought it would be an easy top 4 stroll.

This blip was always on the cards when you change from playing bottom of the league to The squads of Wigan, Leicester, Blackburn.

We have an easy back end of the season but these next 5 or 6 weeks are the hardest part.

I'm not being negative I'm being realistic. Our squad is not as good as those in the top 4 or 5. Hence in my opinion we should not be looking at an automatic promotion place.

No one knows for sure but in seasons gone by teams like Forest, Bolton and Reading have made big movements in the latter stages of the season. Any team under mick McCarthy is likely to make a move, he has been promoted with very team he has managed I believe.

I don't know why people are suddenly shocked we are losing. Yes the run was unbelievable but the teams we played were nothing special.

My stance has never changed. I sang the "rams are going up" at all those games in the wining streak. However I never thought it would be an easy top 4 stroll.

This blip was always on the cards when you change from playing bottom of the league to The squads of Wigan, Leicester, Blackburn.

We have an easy back end of the season but these next 5 or 6 weeks are the hardest part.

I'm not being negative I'm being realistic. Our squad is not as good as those in the top 4 or 5. Hence in my opinion we should not be looking at an automatic promotion place.

I agree with everything you say but i was just saying everyone (all teams) will have bips not just us. A few teams look good though wigan won again today.

The club give it all the big talk until we actually reach January - silent.

McClaren has already told SSN he doubts they'll be anymore incomings, despite John Vicars and Andy Appleby stating McClaren will be backed and signings will be made.

And by signings I don't mean signing Dawkins and extending loans of players that we're already here! Dawkins in Jacobs out, nothing there.

1 loan, yes, an extremely good one, but it's a loan for a player whose probably not on that high wages and we'll only be paying a percentage.

We need at least 2 top championship players to finish top 6 in my view. Our players have proven on two occasions now that they can't handle against the better sides in the division. We don't need drastic chances, our foundations are fine, but in areas we don't have the quality nor do we have the depth.

This is not a rant fully based on yesterday, no matter how awful we were, it's just my overriding opinion. It could of been a one off, who knows, but is John Eustace or is Craig Forsyth the players who will take us into the play offs? Highly doubt it.

Leicester look nailed on, but looking at everyone behind them, why not? QPR should be dead certs but they have flatter edit I deceive all season, can't believe Burnley won't have a bad spell, and then you're looking at the likes of forest, Brighton, reading and Blackburn. Anything to fear there? Not really.

The one team I expect to make a real charge is Wigan, but I think they simply have too much to make up to get into the top 2.

21 games and about 30 points required for play-offs works out at 1.47 points a game.

Brighton (H)

Blackburn (A)

Yeovil (H)

Birmingham (A)

QPR (H)

Sheff Wed  (A)

Bournemouth (H)

Burnley (A)

Our next 8 games, and I think we should be aiming to pick up at least 4 wins. I think we stand our best chance of picking those wins up in bold. If we manage that and manage to pick up a point or three if we get lucky against the likes of Brighton or Blackburn, we'd be looking at 14 points from 8 games - more than the required 1.47 points per game required.

We also have a nice run of poor teams towards the end of the season playing Blackpool, Huddersfield, Doncaster and Barnsley which could see us boost our position if we happen to fall out of the top 6.

Also, we have Leeds last game of the season which is pretty much a guaranteed win!

My opinion differs,

The likes of Ipswich, Forest, Wigan and Reading will have very very strong finishes.

Playoff spot is my aim.

The sooner we get 9 wins to guarantee that playoff spot the better.

If we get the 9 wins early then maybe we could be in chance of automatic promotion. However I don't think we will be anywhere near the top 2 in 5 or 6 weeks time.

done a few calculations and 9 wins might not be enough, that will put us on 71 points. I think this year its going to be more like 75 points needed unlike last years low. 

Losing to Leicester was not the end of our promotion push. They are top of the table, so out of every team we could have lost to they are the side we should least worry about. Hopefully they will also pick up wins against teams around us also fighting for automatic promotion.

If Leicester slip up there are 5 teams gunning for automatic promotion. If they do, hopefully it will be against bottom half teams. If not then there are 4 teams fighting for that second spot.

We are not aiming for a play off place. We are possibly only 8 wins away from a play off place. Our aim is that second spot. Results could go our way today and we didn't get to where we are on luck. We can get second spot for 85 points. That would mean in 2014 we could be 3 points worse than in 2013 and possibly get automatic promotion. 

People must not forget that in our first 9 games of the season we only managed 11 points. Let us not panic and see how we compare after our first 9 matches of 2014. 

Can't argue with the points tally, but bear in mind who we lost to, Reading, Burnley and of course Leicester....again. So perhaps a tad over critical!

Archived