Automatic Promotion

Uptherams

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Brighton were 6th, we beat them. We've also beaten teams who were top 6 at the time; Blackpool

Yes, but when Ipswich were in top 6 we hadnt beaten anyone in the top 6. Or Reading who are just outside.

done a few calculations and 9 wins might not be enough, that will put us on 71 points. I think this year its going to be more like 75 points needed unlike last years low.

At this point last year 6th place was 43 points - current Brighton are 6th on 39 points a relatively long way behind.

In other words at the moment it looks like this year could have a lower points for play offs than last year.

For play off points required to be more than last season then all teams from Brighton down would need to lick up at least 30 points from 21 games. 1.5 points per game. That's tough to do. Even with our good run we haven't managed that.

I think 66 points will enough for play offs this year.

We could make the play offs if the heads dont go down after last night. I would imagine after being sent out in this formation and just chasing shadows v Chelsea and Leicester that confidence might dip. Up to Mac and co to pick them up. We know we can play a bit. Hopefully this is just a wobble.

Being realistic of an automatic spot I would say we need to bring in 3 new faces.

Thought Brighton were 6th, we beat them. We've also beaten teams who were top 6 at the time; Blackpool

We played Blackpool after they had had three players sent off in the game before, including there two main cbs. Imagine playing us without Keogh and Buxton or Having Keane and Whitbread as cover.

Brighton we did beat, that was great, probably the best win we have had in terms of opposition but even that game their new manager was just settling in. Playing Brighton now after Oscar Garcia has had time to adjust to the English game and get them playing his style will be a completely different game.

I really really don't want to talk it down and be all

Negative but we haven't beaten a good team yet!!!

Say we get to the playoffs beating only teams not in the playoffs how would that set us up phycologically for the playoffs. Obviously it's only two games one home leg and one away leg and we could pull it out the bag when needed.

At the moment I am not confident we can beat the good teams in this divison.

There is a blueprint to beat Derby County - play really bad, Stoke city style, route 1 rugby team, physical, time wasting, fouling football. I don't think we know how to deal with that and the teams with the big squads that can afford to utilise different styles of football will hurt us.

Sorry for being negative. On a brighter note I think we will beat Brighton because they actually try and play good football which plays into our hands.

At this point last year 6th place was 43 points - current Brighton are 6th on 39 points a relatively long way behind.

In other words at the moment it looks like this year could have a lower points for play offs than last year.

For play off points required to be more than last season then all teams from Brighton down would need to lick up at least 30 points from 21 games. 1.5 points per game. That's tough to do. Even with our good run we haven't managed that.

I think 66 points will enough for play offs this year.

Which is why people who are suggesting play offs is our aim are being silly. We would have to mess up real bad not to at least finish 6th. I said 8 wins could do it and will stick with it. I think you are brave to say 66 but your logic is reasonable. Teams have sealed it for less than 66. 

We lose 1-0 to Wigan and then 4-1 to the Foxes and it's all doom and gloom again. Are people forgetting that we should have beat Wigan? We had the chances but the ball didn't end up in the back of the net. 

I have a different view, at the begining of the season, when Nige said we were aiming for top 6 i was amazed,and more than sceptical as we hadn't really added any quality,which others had, so my prediction then (its here somewhere) was that we would do well to replicate last seasons 10th, and i predicted 12th. 

So i am very happy to see that nige may be correct,in his assessment, but not in the way he may have thought....

I doubt very very much we will be in the automatic spots.

I for one am enjoying this season more than any of the past since 2007, we are playing great football, when we play, and there is someone in charge who inspires more confidence in me than Nigel ever did.

I look forward to the next... lets say year, as i believe if Mac doesn't get promotion this year ( i predict we will meet florist in the play offs !! )

Then next season will be one to savour as Mac will be set up to push on and depending on who comes down and other variables it will be an interesting and fun season, as is this one  :wub:

Dose of realism needed here I feel. We are not good enough for auto. Playoffs is our aim.

When you look at Burnley - small club, not much money, two super strikers and yet even they can find 750,000 for another top class forward from one of their competitors. If we don't strengthen now then one has to question either Mac or the owners. We need cover/replacement for eustace and a left back. - at least.

It won't be Mac - it'll be the owners. They must be thick if they think the current squad is good enough for promotion. We were outclassed on Friday because Leicester have Prem quality players - the difference between us was quite stark, and the more I see of QPR and Burnley the more I realise how much of a gap there is between them and us. We are good enough for the playoffs but we need the board to stop pissing about with the money and give Mac some sort of support in the transfer market, or do they think we can fluke it, which is the same philosophy they had when Clough was here? If so, they will lose whatever goodwill they have built up in recent months because loan signings won't cut it anymore - investment is needed.

I will once again say to people that think their are better teams around us, to prove it.

In anyway they want to. It's not all about wages, or transfer fee's - otherwise Sammon would be better than Martin.

As I said, someone prove to me Nottingham Forest and Reading, or anyone are better than us and I can guarantee I will argue and win the toss.

:)

Archived