Automatic Promotion

Uptherams

That run we went on was against some rubbish teams.

We need to beat a team in the top 6 to be considered going for an automatic place.

So far we haven't.

correct me if im wrong but weren't blackpool top 6 when we thrashed them? (albeit with 3 suspended players)

sorry just seen other posters post the same - ignore!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is why people who are suggesting play offs is our aim are being silly. We would have to mess up real bad not to at least finish 6th. I said 8 wins could do it and will stick with it. I think you are brave to say 66 but your logic is reasonable. Teams have sealed it for less than 66. 

We lose 1-0 to Wigan and then 4-1 to the Foxes and it's all doom and gloom again. Are people forgetting that we should have beat Wigan? We had the chances but the ball didn't end up in the back of the net. 

second half we did, first half i dont think we had a single shot at all did we??

second half we did, first half i dont think we had a single shot at all did we??

in fairness Loughie, we all know it makes no difference when you do the things that win you the game, you have 90 minutes to do it, you can score every winning goal in the 90th minute and not be deprived of 3 points as it's in the rules that you play whistle to whistle.

Dose of realism needed here I feel. We are not good enough for auto. Playoffs is our aim.

When you look at Burnley - small club, not much money, two super strikers and yet even they can find 750,000 for another top class forward from one of their competitors. If we don't strengthen now then one has to question either Mac or the owners. We need cover/replacement for eustace and a left back. - at least.

Are Burnley still receiving parachute payments? I thought for them they run out this year (2013/14)

Top six would be a great acheivement considering we've had years of consolidation before. This is the first time we've had a squad capable of a tilt at the play offs, so doing it at the first time of asking would be brilliant, really. If someone offered me that now, I'd snap their hand off. You can go on wretched runs in this league, as we've found out (and hope we don't do this season).

Just hope Mac isn't a victim of his early success. Lots of people (maybe me included to a degree) got a bit swept up in the great run we were on. If we finish 3rd - 6th and miss out on promotion, it'd be sad if the supporters took it out on the management. We should use it as a benchmark for next year, like Leicester have done so well.

Top six would be a great acheivement considering we've had years of consolidation before. This is the first time we've had a squad capable of a tilt at the play offs, so doing it at the first time of asking would be brilliant, really. If someone offered me that now, I'd snap their hand off. You can go on wretched runs in this league, as we've found out (and hope we don't do this season).

Just hope Mac isn't a victim of his early success. Lots of people (maybe me included to a degree) got a bit swept up in the great run we were on. If we finish 3rd - 6th and miss out on promotion, it'd be sad if the supporters took it out on the management. We should use it as a benchmark for next year, like Leicester have done so well.

I blame B4

in fairness Loughie, we all know it makes no difference when you do the things that win you the game, you have 90 minutes to do it, you can score every winning goal in the 90th minute and not be deprived of 3 points as it's in the rules that you play whistle to whistle.

good point mostyn it's what you do do to win matches that count - not what you don't. 

But saying we should have beaten wigan is something I disagree with, that said we could have won but a poor first half let us down and left us ultimately with too much work to do

Wow, what a difference on this board. Although I'm not suggesting fans shouldn't get excited and optimistic, we should take a step back and think about where we are and where many thought we'd be with this squad - make a silk purse from a pigs ear, remember.

I'm enjoying this season, the passion is back, the excitement and expectation is back. I don't expect top 2 and I would be over the moon with top 6, did anyone really believe top 6 was possible before the amazing recent run? Ok maybe B4, but anyone else? Really? When the season started or even 10 games in?

Those results changed people's expectations. The years where we stagnated in mid table have been forgotten and now the team are expected to be pushing for the top 2 spots. We can dream of it but let's not expect it.

We're a very good team but there's a lot of those in the championship. Leicester were on a different level on Friday and shows we're not the world beaters some painted us to be. That said, two back to back defeats is all we've suffered in the league. We need to bounce back to get the team back believing, should that happen against Brighton (which I hope it does because I'm coming up for the game) then I'd be a bit more confident of top 6 but not top 2.

I hate to end the post this way but the way the league is going I have a fear that top 2 will be Leicester and Forest. But if we are top 6 and in the play-offs then I couldn't give a toss about other teams, I care first and foremost how my club is doing.

I'm amazed by the turn around in our fortunes since Steve took over. And very happy about it too. There seems to be an air of expectation and general feeling of good will about the place, that's been lacking for too long. We play good football and have a steely-ness about us that was lacking under Clough.

But....

These last 2 games have proven to us that we're just a good championship side, not a premiership side and therefore going up either automatically or through the play offs would be disasterous for us. I firmly believe you can't sneak up and then invest 5 million in 'prem standard players'.

We've done that before and look where it got us?

I think we're a season away from going up and a good 4 or 5 players off from a squad that could maintain, compete and suprise in the premiership.

With that said, I don't want us to start losing so we stay in the division. But promotion with us being so lightweight (in terms of size and number of players) terrorfies me.

Seems a bit negative, but not completely unjustified

I think the next 4 or 5 weeks will tell us a lot about our squad and its chance for promotion.

Will we be able to put the last 3 results behind us, still believe in our quality and ability, put that down to a "blip" and pick up where we left off? Was the confidence we had fragile and is now shattered leading to our free-fall; were we lucky and punching above our weight?

I hope it is the former and we can move on positively but to be honest I can visualise either scenario.

Time will tell!

Wow, what a difference on this board. Although I'm not suggesting fans shouldn't get excited and optimistic, we should take a step back and think about where we are and where many thought we'd be with this squad - make a silk purse from a pigs ear, remember.

I'm enjoying this season, the passion is back, the excitement and expectation is back. I don't expect top 2 and I would be over the moon with top 6, did anyone really believe top 6 was possible before the amazing recent run? Ok maybe B4, but anyone else? Really? When the season started or even 10 games in?

Those results changed people's expectations. The years where we stagnated in mid table have been forgotten and now the team are expected to be pushing for the top 2 spots. We can dream of it but let's not expect it.

We're a very good team but there's a lot of those in the championship. Leicester were on a different level on Friday and shows we're not the world beaters some painted us to be. That said, two back to back defeats is all we've suffered in the league. We need to bounce back to get the team back believing, should that happen against Brighton (which I hope it does because I'm coming up for the game) then I'd be a bit more confident of top 6 but not top 2.

I hate to end the post this way but the way the league is going I have a fear that top 2 will be Leicester and Forest. But if we are top 6 and in the play-offs then I couldn't give a toss about other teams, I care first and foremost how my club is doing.

Honestly, I always thought we were under-achieving. Any time less than half the team perform to 7/10 or better, my opinion is that we are under-achieving. We under-achieved on Friday night and that game was not a true reflection of our level, it was a bad performance and that is different. People find it too easy to dismiss the quality of a player when they haven't seen that player at his best.

I'm amazed by the turn around in our fortunes since Steve took over. And very happy about it too. There seems to be an air of expectation and general feeling of good will about the place, that's been lacking for too long. We play good football and have a steely-ness about us that was lacking under Clough.

But....

These last 2 games have proven to us that we're just a good championship side, not a premiership side and therefore going up either automatically or through the play offs would be disasterous for us. I firmly believe you can't sneak up and then invest 5 million in 'prem standard players'.

We've done that before and look where it got us?

I think we're a season away from going up and a good 4 or 5 players off from a squad that could maintain, compete and suprise in the premiership.

With that said, I don't want us to start losing so we stay in the division. But promotion with us being so lightweight (in terms of size and number of players) terrorfies me.

Seems a bit negative, but not completely unjustified

these kind of comments are horrendous and pointless! Negative for the sake of being negative. The topic is not even worth discussing as a) the club is totally different to 2007, and b) nobody knows how the owners will react! How do you know we won't do a Swansea?

I think your comment is unjustified.

Honestly, I always thought we were under-achieving. Any time less than half the team perform to 7/10 or better, my opinion is that we are under-achieving. We under-achieved on Friday night and that game was not a true reflection of our level, it was a bad performance and that is different. People find it too easy to dismiss the quality of a player when they haven't seen that player at his best.

I'm not for one minute saying we're not good and we weren't underachieving but after a short spell under Mac I am hopeful of top 6 rather than expectant of it or even top 2. I'm just happy with the football and the excitement, which I felt was missing previously.

Anything can happen in this league, we may finish anywhere between 2nd or 8th probably so there's nothing to say we won't go up but I certainly don't expect it.

these kind of comments are horrendous and pointless! Negative for the sake of being negative. The topic is not even worth discussing as a) the club is totally different to 2007, and b) nobody knows how the owners will react! How do you know we won't do a Swansea?

I think your comment is unjustified.

Well you're allowed to. But I think cautious for the sake of being burnt before is more accurate.

And I think 'horrendous' and 'negative' is hyperbole and hypocritical considering the point your making.

But it's ok. I'll forgive you!!

Thinking the squad needs another year of gelling with 4 or 5 (quality) additions bedding in is not negative. It's sensible.

Well you're allowed to. But I think cautious for the sake of being burnt before is more accurate.

And I think 'horrendous' and 'negative' is hyperbole and hypocritical considering the point your making.

But it's ok. I'll forgive you!!

Thinking the squad needs another year of gelling with 4 or 5 (quality) additions bedding in is not negative. It's sensible.

the game moves too fast to allow "bedding", players and teams changes, injuries, suspensions, transfers.... football waits for no team.

Dose of realism needed here I feel. We are not good enough for auto. Playoffs is our aim.

When you look at Burnley - small club, not much money, two super strikers and yet even they can find 750,000 for another top class forward from one of their competitors. If we don't strengthen now then one has to question either Mac or the owners. We need cover/replacement for eustace and a left back. - at least.

I'd take a playoff spot, but we really need to start beating the teams around us to make it worthwhile. What's the point in getting into the playoffs if you can't beat the teams in there?

We are not good enough to play offs. We have to get automatic promotion!

Archived