watches....to dream on for

froggg

I have been thinking about downsizing my wristwatch collection. I have nice watches but they don't get the wrist time they deserve. There is two big problems though. The first one is that I like all my watches and don't really want to depart any of those. The second one is that if I would go to say four watches what kind of watches should I have.

I know that my Bremont U-2 is a keeper, that is certain. But the other ones are harder to decide. Well a vintage watch is a must of course. For that I've got a Glycine automatic gold watch from 1969. Just can't find anything like that for as inexpensive I got it.

The two other watches are in consideration. What kind of watches would you recommend? What kind of watches do you like and what do yo appreciate in your watches?

4 minutes ago, Cisse said:

I have been thinking about downsizing my wristwatch collection. I have nice watches but they don't get the wrist time they deserve. There is two big problems though. The first one is that I like all my watches and don't really want to depart any of those. The second one is that if I would go to say four watches what kind of watches should I have.

I know that my Bremont U-2 is a keeper, that is certain. But the other ones are harder to decide. Well a vintage watch is a must of course. For that I've got a Glycine automatic gold watch from 1969. Just can't find anything like that for as inexpensive I got it.

The two other watches are in consideration. What kind of watches would you recommend? What kind of watches do you like and what do yo appreciate in your watches?

Buy another wrist and keep them all..

8 minutes ago, Cisse said:

I've got an Apple Watch. I wouldn't part with it. It even doubles as a phone. Hope that helps.

I have to go for simple dials because when I am not wearing my glasses, which I only do for reading really, I can’t see intricate dials.

I think it was revel who posted a nice skeletal watch a while back, well,  if I was driving for example and glanced a my wrist to check the time, I’d never see it and that’s a shame because there are some beauties out there.

Accuracy and being able to take a knock are two things I like about my watches. Below are the kind of thing I like, the sports watch for work and the Tissot if I’m wearing a suit.

spacer.png

C201794F-719E-4CD9-9163-16FC809587F4.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was wondering how many On here have at least one Citizen eco drive watch?

I have three myself and also gave one to a dear friend who has relied on it for several years.

They are a brilliant concept and reliable time keepers.

A few years back several regular watch collectors on here said that they had al least one as an everyday watch.

Are they still running?

(the watch that is, not Froggy, Cisse and all!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2020 at 23:26, Brummie Steve said:

I have three myself and also gave one to a dear friend who has relied on it for several years.

A few years back several regular watch collectors on here said that they had al least one as an everyday watch.

Are they still running?

Yeah I've still got one, or should I say Rev Jr has. Brilliant watch that's never missed a beat, bought with £75 quid of Tesco vouchers from Goldsmiths.

On 19/09/2020 at 23:26, Brummie Steve said:

Are they still running?

I have one which is about 10 years old and runs perfectly, never stopped in all that time. Only wear it occasionally, to let my Longines Conquest run the spring down a bit or it is in for its bi-annual service, which it is at the moment. £345 for the service by Longines, but that is the full monty including case and strap polish. Worth it though to keep the mechanism pristine and a permanent lifetime warranty.

I was chatting about watches to my dad today, he told me he picked up a Breitling Navigator from the Naafi when he served in the RAF in Germany late 60's/early 70's.

Never been out the box, still has all the original papers receipts etc. Only problem is he can't remember where it is, thinks it may be at my sister's house in the loft with all his other service time stuff. Told him to get busy looking.

5 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I was chatting about watches to my dad today, he told me he picked up a Breitling Navigator from the Naafi when he served in the RAF in Germany late 60's/early 70's.

Never been out the box, still has all the original papers receipts etc. Only problem is he can't remember where it is, thinks it may be at my sister's house in the loft with all his other service time stuff. Told him to get busy looking.

Are you sure it isn't Breitling Navitimer? That's awesome to have that kind of watch as NOS.

29 minutes ago, Cisse said:

Are you sure it isn't Breitling Navitimer? That's awesome to have that kind of watch as NOS.

You're right, it was a Navitimer. Comes with a slide rule dial, from his description.

53 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

You're right, it was a Navitimer. Comes with a slide rule dial, from his description.

A couple of things came to mind. If the watch hasn't indeed been ever out of its box its value could drop thousands if someone tries it to his wrist now. A watch of that era will have a plexiglass and it isn't water proof like Breitlings today. You should find it and put it in safe place. With the history of that exact piece its value will be significant.

ps. A photo would be nice. ?

5 minutes ago, Cisse said:

A couple of things came to mind. If the watch hasn't indeed been ever out of its box its value could drop thousands if someone tries it to his wrist now. A watch of that era will have a plexiglass and it isn't water proof like Breitlings today. You should find it and put it in safe place. With the history of that exact piece its value will be significant.

ps. A photo would be nice. ?

I'll get on at him to find it. 

He's never shown any interest in Horology, so the conversation came out of the blue.