watches....to dream on for

froggg

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'll get on at him to find it. 

He's never shown any interest in Horology, so the conversation came out of the blue.

The thing is Breitling has always been linked to pilots. A lot of commercial airline pilots today want to wear Breitling for that reason. The history linking it with RAF, priceless. That piece is about horology, military and family history. Hang on with it tight and worship it like the holy grail which it really is.

7 hours ago, Cisse said:

The thing is Breitling has always been linked to pilots. A lot of commercial airline pilots today want to wear Breitling for that reason. The history linking it with RAF, priceless. That piece is about horology, military and family history. Hang on with it tight and worship it like the holy grail which it really is.

eBay 

On 15/07/2020 at 07:14, Brummie Steve said:

I really like the Bernex watches. My latest beauty cost just £1. per jewel!

FAE0168A-B784-4598-AA68-FAB58C31FAFD.jpeg

This one stopped and n amount of shaking got it re-started.

Then, yesterday, just after getting the two Sekondas going, I picked it up and it started working again.

Maybe there are miracles wher watches are concerned!

Edited by Brummie Steve

Great thread everyone. I’ve read it all the way through and it has been interesting and informative – good to see so many enthusiasts on here. 

So I used to buy watches that were generally cheap…afterall …”why pay more for just a watch”……generally I would spend £350 to £800 and typically the watch would be dead within 12 to 18 months. 
Broken straps, melted batteries, cracked screens etc. I must be a “heavy” watch user!!

Anyway for a good few years I didn’t wear a watch – just used my phone – and bought a holiday watch for like £50 for when I went away…..but I was eventually banned from doing that by my other half – as she decided that I could only wear a “nice” watch.

So I did some research – as I wanted something that was well made, (relatively) affordable, would hold it’s value and would look “nice” and be useable in many different settings. I also decided it should be a “tool” type watch.

Once I narrowed my list down to two brands (Rolex/Omega) I looked at all sorts of models online and narrowed the ranges down to either a Submariner or a Seamaster type before I set out to go and look at some of the real things and try them on.

Once out in the real world I narrowed my brands down to one – Omega – and took the plunge.

Speaking to the jewellers – who were very informative – I learned that not only do these kind of watches hold their value well – in part because the brands increase their retail prices pretty much every year – but these Omegas are designed to be worn – not just for going out – but for daily use. Subject to regular servicing they could go on for years. Sounded like what I needed.

So I did the deal, got a bit of a discount, which was nice, and purchased an Omega Planet Ocean.

Since then – over two years ago – I’ve learned a few things:
My watch has taken quite a beating – but has held up really well – especially the crystal sapphire glass. However I should look after it a little better and give it a service at some point (not sure when?)
The value (subject to condition) seems to have held really well. Partly because the watch has a reasonably-sized market – as well as the Brand pricing mentioned above.
I love the watch much more than I thought I ever would.
The watch looks good in any setting (casual, sports, work, formal). 
I wear it most of the time (ironically not in water) – much more than I thought I would.
I tend to take it off if I’m going somewhere, shall we say, less salubrious, but even if I had it on I’ve realised that I could use it if necessary to administer a swift clock (did you see what I did there) to the noggin of any wannabe assailant. Bonus.  

This watch (and this thread!) has kindled my interest in good quality watch brands further. Although I tend to focus on Omega and Rolex – as these two brands seem to be the most recognised – which can only help residual values. 

Which brings me to my real point of this post which is that I’m thinking of getting a “daily beater” – but cannot bring myself to buy something that is not great quality – and it must still tick all my boxes. 

Now having looked out there I am considering the Tudor Black Bay 58 (the Royal Blue one of which seems to have been a major hit). This watch retails at around half of my Planet Ocean. 

Now Tudor are very interesting not least because of their relationship with Rolex, but also how they are doing with redefining themselves as a clearly separate brand from Rolex. The “58” range seems to be helping them even more in this regard.

So any thoughts on Tudor generally, the Tudor Black Bay 58 specifically, or any other high quality “daily beaters” would be welcome. Maybe an Eco-Drive?

I would not have a nerve to use Rolex or Omega as a daily beater. The two brands I use and highly recommend for anyone needing a watch for a rough times are Bremont and Sinn. Both have a large selection of army and tool watches. Sinn has watches that varies a great deal with their prices and can really take a beating. The thing is they have often Sellita and ETA-based movements with very little modification on them which ables Sinn offer very affordable watches.

Bremont uses a lot ETA-based movements but they modify them some. They do cost more than a lot of Sinns but they are very accurate and really scratch resistant. You can learn a lot of those brands easily by reading information about Bremont U-2 and Sinn U1. Both of those brands do offer a lot more than resistance against scratching though.

If scratching is the big issue one brand that should be considered is Rado. They are not tool watches but do have an interesting take on schratching.

On 05/10/2020 at 17:01, Cisse said:

That's harsh.

Maybe, but I think it’s all vanity, your phone tells you the time, nobody really notices what watch you're wearing normally.  So threads like this are just the opportunity show off what nobody sees after all the cash spent on it and to measure, shall we say appendages.

i ain’t got time for it.  Wayhay! You can have that one sissy. ?

32 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Maybe, but I think it’s all vanity, your phone tells you the time, nobody really notices what watch you're wearing normally.  So threads like this are just the opportunity show off what nobody sees after all the cash spent on it and to measure, shall we say appendages.

i ain’t got time for it.  Wayhay! You can have that one sissy. ?

Who took the jam out of your doughnut?

18 hours ago, Cisse said:

I would not have a nerve to use Rolex or Omega as a daily beater. The two brands I use and highly recommend for anyone needing a watch for a rough times are Bremont and Sinn. Both have a large selection of army and tool watches. Sinn has watches that varies a great deal with their prices and can really take a beating. The thing is they have often Sellita and ETA-based movements with very little modification on them which ables Sinn offer very affordable watches.

Bremont uses a lot ETA-based movements but they modify them some. They do cost more than a lot of Sinns but they are very accurate and really scratch resistant. You can learn a lot of those brands easily by reading information about Bremont U-2 and Sinn U1. Both of those brands do offer a lot more than resistance against scratching though.

If scratching is the big issue one brand that should be considered is Rado. They are not tool watches but do have an interesting take on schratching.

Hi Cisse - many thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

Yes I had looked at Bremont previously but shied away from them a little because they were (relatively) the new kids on the block. I have not come across Sinn before and wow having had a quick look at the U1 and others - they do seem to be serious kit!

I think I need to have a deeper look into these watches that you have mentioned before I make a decision.

I will let you know how I get on!

• 3 weeks later...

Well what you know. A guy in a local watch forum put Sinn U1 on sale as he needed cash to buy something new. So now I'm a proud owner of five months old Sinn U1. Feels really good on the wrist even though it is big and quite high. Doesn't feel top heavy at all which I was worried about.

On 07/10/2020 at 13:19, Brummie Steve said:

spend £350 every two years just to get it serviced

Well that equates to a pint a week, preserves its value, keeps it working flawlessly, maintains pristine appearance, so good value.

It was a Ruby Wedding present from "her who must be obeyed", I wear it every day because I don't see the point of it sitting in a box.

Found my collection of old dead watches, Sekonda, Timex (ludicrously accurate whilst it worked), Seiko x 3, Pulsar, Omega, Rotary, Citizen, Ingersoll, even a nameless red LED one. Figured out a service was a good thing and more economical in the long run.

Smart phones are OK if it sits on desk beside you but otherwise a waste of time? 

• 3 weeks later...