watches....to dream on for

froggg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm always thinking and looking, but always seems to be a more immediate demand on the cash.

My watch collection is a Casio digital and 2 vostocks.

Might get a Seiko SNKL or Orient tri-star if I can ever justify as a nice smart dressy watch for the office.

Always liked the sea-gull 1963 chrono but the official one is expensive and the£110 version on AliExpress I'm hesitant (well AliExpress hesitant TBH)

Someday I'll buy a nice watch. I promise myself.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Been looking for a Rolex Submariner for 18 months,needs to have box and papers,most of the 1990,s the strap sags when held horizontal.

Or buy a steeldive 1953 for £100 (or an Invicta Pro Diver)

Submariner clones are all over the place, it's a really nice design but then I'm never likely to even think about owning a Rolex.

On 18/02/2022 at 12:44, Malagaram said:

Been looking for a Rolex Submariner for 18 months,needs to have box and papers,most of the 1990,s the strap sags when held horizontal.

Keep following Sepän Viisari in Helsinki. They deal a lot of Rolexes and for a decent price. You have to be quick though. Submariners go really quick. Rolex prices have gone through the roof in recent years. I wonder how long this can continue.

9 hours ago, Cisse said:

Keep following Sepän Viisari in Helsinki. They deal a lot of Rolexes and for a decent price. You have to be quick though. Submariners go really quick. Rolex prices have gone through the roof in recent years. I wonder how long this can continue.

Thankyou,will add them to my watch list.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a Tag that I've owned for over 30 years. I just spent having it £400 serviced it complete with a new battery, dial etc. 

But now I realise I prefer wearing my Apple watch and in any case and as @Eatonram gleefully pointed out when we picked it up, it has a much smaller face than is usually the case with mens watches. I think he referred to it as a woman's watch.

Anyway, where is the best place to sell such a thing and how do I get it valued? I can only presume it's worth more than I just shelled out, but I could have made a real rookie error here.

image.thumb.png.37d18aba93d0ac6f53d93fbedc48e575.png

On 25/05/2022 at 10:48, Bob The Badger said:

I have a Tag that I've owned for over 30 years. I just spent having it £400 serviced it complete with a new battery, dial etc. 

But now I realise I prefer wearing my Apple watch and in any case and as @Eatonram gleefully pointed out when we picked it up, it has a much smaller face than is usually the case with mens watches. I think he referred to it as a woman's watch.

Anyway, where is the best place to sell such a thing and how do I get it valued? I can only presume it's worth more than I just shelled out, but I could have made a real rookie error here.

image.thumb.png.37d18aba93d0ac6f53d93fbedc48e575.png

Well the first question is do you have the original papers and the original box? That would make it more valuable. Did you get the original parts with you? Do you have the papers from the service?

The size of the watches used are always changing. Now it has been a trend to make bigger cases and it has actually gone overboard and some manufacturers are starting to make them smaller again. Anyway I wouldn't pay no mind what size of watches are in at the moment. 

You should get it valued by professional dealer or clock smith. My wild guess is that your watch is valued perhaps 450-600 pounds. A right collector might pay more. The original box and papers would raise the value. I wouldn't sell that. It is so retro and it seems to have great lume now. A nice piece. Wear it with pride every now and then when you have a chance.

11 hours ago, Cisse said:

Well the first question is do you have the original papers and the original box? That would make it more valuable. Did you get the original parts with you? Do you have the papers from the service?

The size of the watches used are always changing. Now it has been a trend to make bigger cases and it has actually gone overboard and some manufacturers are starting to make them smaller again. Anyway I wouldn't pay no mind what size of watches are in at the moment. 

You should get it valued by professional dealer or clock smith. My wild guess is that your watch is valued perhaps 450-600 pounds. A right collector might pay more. The original box and papers would raise the value. I wouldn't sell that. It is so retro and it seems to have great lume now. A nice piece. Wear it with pride every now and then when you have a chance.

Thanks mate, I really appreciate the info.

Sadly, I don't have the original stuff, just the paperwork from Tag for the latest work.

You're probably right and I should keep it.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Thanks mate, I really appreciate the info.

Sadly, I don't have the original stuff, just the paperwork from Tag for the latest work.

You're probably right and I should keep it.

There is plenty of years in that watch for you. Also would be a nice thing to pass it on to your kids/grandkids someday.

1 hour ago, Cisse said:

There is plenty of years in that watch for you. Also would be a nice thing to pass it on to your kids/grandkids someday.

We don't have kids or I most definitely would.

I have a 50 year old classic Rolex that was my dads that I will leave to my great nephew.

There's nobody else who I'm remotely close to who my Tag would be suitable for.

Funny story about that Rolex.

After my dad died I took it into a jewellers in Sheffield to have it serviced.

On the back it says To Bill from Steph on our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

The first thing they guy said on seeing that was 'Do you want me to get rid of the engraving?'

I think he presumed I'd nicked it.

That's Sheffield for you.

I still wonder who Steph is though.

@Cisse, how often would you get a Tag serviced?

Think mine needs to go in already, I have it on a winder when not wearing as I have a Breitling now for everyday wear. Went to put it on and it was like 15 minutes too fast. Reset it, by the end of the day was already 5 minutes out. Only had it maybe 3/4 years.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

We don't have kids or I most definitely would.

I have a 50 year old classic Rolex that was my dads that I will leave to my great nephew.

There's nobody else who I'm remotely close to who my Tag would be suitable for.

Funny story about that Rolex.

After my dad died I took it into a jewellers in Sheffield to have it serviced.

On the back it says To Bill from Steph on our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

The first thing they guy said on seeing that was 'Do you want me to get rid of the engraving?'

I think he presumed I'd nicked it.

That's Sheffield for you.

I still wonder who Steph is though.

He didn't think you nicked it. Engravings decrease the value and often people want them gone in any case.