Realistic Expectation?

Bris Vegas

Seen many posts saying that top 6 is now a minimum for this season, or at least a top 8 spot.. I think that's a pretty wild suggestion don't you think?

Firstly, statistically this season we've not started well.. 11 points from 9 games is not good.. That would be 56 over a season..

So given the playoff average is 72 points over the past 10 years, we'd now need 61 points from 37 games just to reach 6th place.. That's a record of something similar to W17 D10 L10.. A record which was clearly beyond NC as he struggled to win more than he lost each year, let alone try and double the amount of wins compared to losses..

So, is 61 points from 37 games really a fair target for a new manager coming in through a season? 61 points from 37 games is similar to 76 points over a 46 game season.. That would be similar to what we achieved under GB, who incidentally created a side far more capable than NC.

So, serious question.. What are your expectations for SM for this season? What be an acceptable return?

What do you guys think?

On a side note... I'm slightly disappointed we didn't go for Sean Dyche. He did ok at Watford and has Burnley flying..

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back Bris.

I think he'll do well to keep us up. I think he'll get off to a good start with Wass getting us 3 pints tomorrow, then I think we'll hit a slump. I think he's got to bring a couple of players in and hasn't had time to understand the make up of the squad, I feel if he brings in a couple of old timers the squad will be lost.

I hope I'm wrong, I really want him to do well.

Anything better 20th and still in a job in April and he's exceeded my expectations,

I agree with the points raised in your initial post.

We've already chucked away 16 points against expected promotion rivals, and that's before we've played 2 of the best teams in the league in QPR and Wigan.

It's not impossible to get top 6, I wouldn't expect it given the start we've made but other teams have made worse starts and still scraped in.

My realistic expectation for the season is that we'll finish 10th at best, more likely around 15th.

Ha! You're the bad guy! You can't start dropping funny stuff at the end of your posts! You'll make friends fool!

Harsh as it sounds I think a record of W17 D10 L10 is a reasonable expectation. He's here to be better than Nigel. Not match him.

If he gets near on 60pts that'll do nicely. But if we are way off that target then it'll be coming around to Nigel's area.

The most important thing is that our season lasts until the end. It's been crushing having it end too early. That would keep me happy too.

Are you back for a bit buddy? Good to see you posting.

I forgot the most important thing. And it's really important.

Good football. Developing football. That's more important than points.

So yeah, scrap some of my last post. I'll accept mid table if the football looks like it has a bright future.

We'll be struggling this season.

Depends a lot on the players attitude and how they accept the new regime.

Some of the players are very limited but played to the best of that limited ability under Clough, if they now drop that level then we'll struggle, but in particular the defence is threadbare and very weak, that won't right itself quickly.

Ha! You're the bad guy! You can't start dropping funny stuff at the end of your posts! You'll make friends fool!

Harsh as it sounds I think a record of W17 D10 L10 is a reasonable expectation. He's here to be better than Nigel. Not match him.

If he gets near on 60pts that'll do nicely. But if we are way off that target then it'll be coming around to Nigel's area.

The most important thing is that our season lasts until the end. It's been crushing having it end too early. That would keep me happy too.

Are you back for a bit buddy? Good to see you posting.

This. I was starting to get angry but then your Sean Dyche comment threw me off, Bris. I even ended up liking your post :o

Welcome back Bris.

I think he'll do well to keep us up. I think he'll get off to a good start with Wass getting us 3 pints tomorrow, then I think we'll hit a slump. I think he's got to bring a couple of players in and hasn't had time to understand the make up of the squad, I feel if he brings in a couple of old timers the squad will be lost.

I hope I'm wrong, I really want him to do well.

Anything better 20th and still in a job in April and he's exceeded my expectations,

He probably doesn't know yet how weak the squad is.Clough has left a right mess,i'm convinced we would be

in a relegation scrap all season if Clough had stayed.I must say things can only get better.

I think most of the top 6 talk is cynical. If Clough's been sacked now so that a new Manager can make a difference THIS season then the expectation has to be an improvement THIS season.

Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets worse before it gets better. Mid-table, a summer transfer window and then a concerted push next season.

Archived