Realistic Expectation?

Bris Vegas

By sacking Clough, the board have made the statement that mid table is not good enough, and that has permeated through to the fans. Top six is a minimum for me this season, or McClaren can go.

If mid table was acceptable, then there would be no point in making the change.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By sacking Clough, the board have made the statement that mid table is not good enough, and that has permeated through to the fans. Top six is a minimum for me this season, or McClaren can go.

But what proof was there that Clough could have improved on last season? I saw nothing this season to suggest that we'd win more than we'd lose..

This top 6 minumum stuff is based purely on the idea that NC would have had us in the top 9 this season.. Which isn't true.. How do you know that with this squad and the way NC was going that we wouldn't have finished 15th? Therefore a 12th plkace finish by SM would be an improvement on NC's season..

We don't know where NC would have had us (well not in the top 6 that's for certain) so what constitutes as an improvement?

You're asking a manager to come in and win 17 odd games from 37 games.. NC only won 16 last season from 46..

I think you need to curb your expectations IMO

Didnt expect anything better than 10th with Clough in charge, based on the signings we made, certainly didn't believe the spin of a top six push with what we brought in.... now with Brolly in charge I expect probably 18th or worse....

Got to hand it to the board though.. looking at the posts it seems they have executed their plan to sucker the fan base into accepting another season of mediocrity perfectly by sacking Clough...Rush must be rubbing his hands with glee seeing how expectations this year are now so well down after all the propaganda off the summer...

Next season they can sack McClaren & reduce expectations again, whilst we say we need to give the new manager time...& so the merry-go-round goes round & round until the penny drops, that they ain't interested in financing the club to the level needed to move forward..their just hoping to fluke a promotion & then probably cash in.

Still just my opinion..

But what proof was there that Clough could have improved on last season? I saw nothing this season to suggest that we'd win more than we'd lose..

This top 6 minumum stuff is based purely on the idea that NC would have had us in the top 9 this season.. Which isn't true.. How do you know that with this squad and the way NC was going that we wouldn't have finished 15th? Therefore a 12th plkace finish by SM would be an improvement on NC's season..

We don't know where NC would have had us (well not in the top 6 that's for certain) so what constitutes as an improvement?

You're asking a manager to come in and win 17 odd games from 37 games.. NC only won 16 last season from 46..

Sam Rush's expectations Bris......

Why is the expectation not the same as it was?

It was Rush rather than Nigel who talked about a top 6 finish and now talks about Steve Maclaren taking us on to the next level so, with a better management team and the same squad of players why is the expectation not at least the same? You could now argue that given the investment in a new management team and paying off the old one it should be top 6 at the very least.

If the new coaches can tighten up the defence through better coaching and give the strikers some confidence in front of goal why shouldn't we think about the upper reaches of this league? Every year there is a team that starts badly, gets on a run and gets into or close to the play offs. There's over 100 points to play for still, why shouldn't that be us?

Whether it would be a good thing or not is a different discussion as is whether it is a realistic expectation.

Improvement on the previous seasons position has always been the goal. Sam Rush came out and said that progress was not fast enough. The jump up from 10th, therefore needs to be significant.

I'll continue to expect a playoff no matter what you say. Mid table is not good enough anymore. The board have seen to that. I am basing my expectations on theirs.

I expect us to be relegated by a comfortable margin with this ludicrous appointment.  Hope i'm wrong but I really do fear the worst.

Bloody hell, there's two of them.

I totally agree! Feel a bit sorry for Nigel Clough he has been totally committed to the cause, sometimes things needed were beyond him. I think he was always going to achieve a gradual but slow move upwarrds, just like @ Burton. I am absolutely certain he didnt have the right tools for staying in the premiership in his box! Mclaren is certainly a top coach so heyho lets hope we can step up a gear or two! Jim

He has to at least do better than Clough did last season - otherwise, this decision just looks utterly ridiculous.

We've made a better start than last season IMO, so shouldn't be difficult! We have 3 months now to get ourselves in contention, let's see what we can do! 

If we finish in a lower position, and lower points total than last season we look utterly ridiculous IMO 

Realistically I expect 11th, but with the boards movements and noises they have raised my expectation - not because I think they've done 'good work' but because they HAVE to do better than last season, absolute necessity! 

I think sam rush will finish top scorer, player of the year, young player of the year, best newcomer, most outstanding contribution, a couple of england caps.......

Especially with schteve's coaching.

Hes been working at QPR while Harry had his op. Check out how many goals they have conceded this season. He did all QPRs pre - season. PS How many goals have Derby conceded this season . Answer far to many.

Hopefully it will transcend here! 

I'm going to give him a chance, the reason I am willing to do so is because of his ability to bring Steele into the club - that couldn't have been easy, and I sat down and thought 'if Clough asked Eric Steele to become a coach at Derby County' would he have come? not a chance - therefore, I see where doors might open under the new management that we didn't have before. But, still - don't expect me to support blindly. What he did at Forest was nothing short of remarkable..  :ph34r:  :blink:

Archived