Clough Has Gone

Shuff264

From John Percy who is always right.

Clough’s four-year reign was brought to an end three hours after the defeat to Nottingham Forest, the club he served with distinction as a player, and Derby are believed to already be closing in on his successor.

The son of legendary manager Brian, Clough was given the grim news by chief executive Sam Rush, by telephone, following a conference call with the club’s American owners. Clough had been asked to attend a meeting at Pride Park but demanded to be given notification of his dismissal over the phone, which Rush duly did.

Derby’s 1-0 defeat to their bitter rivals was Clough’s third in a row, but only their first away this season, and leaves them 14th in the table.

McClaren, a former Derby player who later worked as assistant manager under Jim Smith, is currently working with Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers and is understood to be keen on the post, while Tony Pulis, the ex-Stoke manager, is also likely to be on the shortlist.

Pulis was at the City Ground on Saturday but his presence is believed to have been coincidental, as he also attended Watford’s game against Wigan later that day

At last, something that approaches what might actually be fact.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignore the part where I said they shouldn't have hired him in the first place if they were so willing to throw him away with the trash.

not ignoring anything, facts are facts we are losing more than we were winning under every season under him, totally ludicrous to say we are throwing him out like trash, like I say results based business. No place for sentimental values anymore in football. And I would agree with you that's sad

not ignoring anything, facts are facts we are losing more than we were winning under every season under him, totally ludicrous to say we are throwing him out like trash, like I say results based business. No place for sentimental values anymore in football. And I would agree with you that's sad

With you both. I am however going to bed satisfied that the club has done the right thing, 18 months too late.

With you both. I am however going to bed satisfied that the club has done the right thing, 18 months too late.

me too even though I'm still in nights mode, Bain on my life night shifts! Goodnight!

You've just ignored me again though. Don't hire a manager that has emotional ties to the club if you're going to get rid of him in these circumstances.

Not ignoring you, I agree he was probably hired with that little bit of nostalgia but you must surely agree that we are stagnating under him and we are just not consistent enough? Imagine we are going to be swings and roundabouts here. It's happened, it's raw and I know it sounds awful it's time to move on.

i want to know how all the players are feeling tonight and whether as cloughy players who he signed think that they have let him down or not? jonny russel missing a sitter last week when we were 1 up for example, or bucko or keogh and they're crap defending. do they think they're to blame or dont they care? why did they not try harder to win if they're so 'gutted' now.? maybe they should have tried harder.

I'm of the opinion that is the right decision at the wrong time.

For me, Clough has obvious managerial deficiencies that have been exasperated by the financial situation he has been forced into by the club's owners. Unlike his supporters, however, I don't think giving him more money would have really made that much of a difference - most of his big money signings have been his poorer ones; Sammon wouldn't have been worth the original £600k we could have got him for from Kilmarnock, never made the ridiculous £1.2 million we ended up paying; Keogh has proved himself a less an able replacement for Shackell. In addition, he has signed too many players who he seems to hace changed his mind about straight away - the nonsensical Chris Maguire saga, Nathan Tyson, David Martin and so on. He is stubborn, but not always in the positive aspects of the word. He has too many favourites (his brother is/was a scout, for god's sake), is seemingly unwilling to accept any outside help and every post match interview is picking up on the same errors which he was complaning about 2/3 years ago which shows that even with his 'own' players, he cannot get a team playing the way he wants at this level. Regardless of the traditionalists amongst football support, in the modern game - which like it or loathe it, is what we are in now - four years is a hell of a long time to not really achieve any tangible success on the football field. In his first full season he earned 56 points; in the most recent one he earned 61.  That's a five point improvement in 4 full years in charge. It's not good enough.

But the timing is, let's be honest, ridiculous. Why now? What's different from when we got thumped at home on consecutive saturdays by Blackpool and Doncaster 3 or 4 years back? How is this worse than when Ssausagehorpe humiliated is 5-1 at home? Or the defeat to Crawley? Or the pathetic post-Christmas form of last season? If the club had so little faith in him that an average start to the season was going to get him sacked, why give Clough the summer? My expectation was always that he would go at the end of next season when his contract was up as I had seen nothing to suggest that we'd be in a significantly improved position by then. As far as I have seen, all that's happened is we've been beaten by teams that are better than us. Reading are better than us. Burnely are. Leicester are. Forest are. We're an average Championship team and the board are fooling themselves if they think sigining some SPL striker from Dundee and an OAP midfielder from Watford is going to turn an average team into genuine playoff contenders, especially considering we offloaded arguably our best player (Brayford) in the process. Clough, to my knowledge, has never mentioned the playoffs as a definite target and instead seen them as an aspiration. It appears that the board have decided that this is the year from a business perspective because they've invested (if what they have plugged in can be seen as significant investement in modern football terms, I don't think it can) enough now and they want instant results which aren't and were never, realistically, going to happen. It's a knee-jerk reaction made by suits who don't understand that the human element of football ultimately renders bank balances and investement sheets as unsuitable for judgement. What Clough is doing now, both philosphically and tactically, is no different from last year when it was acceptable and the feeble squad "investment" in the summer was never going to be enough to bring around significant change.

Clough has always come across as a decent, honest man and I feel sorry for him to be treated in this way. From a football perspective, I am glad he's no longer Derby County manager but in all honesty, the timing of it smacks of desperation and a move made by people who have overestimated the size of their investement and underestimated how football really works.

Thank the FOOOOOOOOK hes been sacked, he was taking us nowhere, he was constantly criticising individual players in public and had a **** style of management, its made my weekend and i hope he takes the rest of the coaching bag of sh1te with him

I only thought the other day if Clough loses to both Leicester and Forest he would be in a sticky position.

By the way im a Clough fan thru and thru and sooooo wanted him to do well.

You have to ask yourselves two questions.

The timing of his sacking was woeful it should if it was going to happen be after the next game,to sack him after playing forest was wrong in for so many reasons and has sickened me.Wether you like clough or you don't this was absolutely deplorable.

Has clough had money and I mean enough money to really get us up,if the next manager gets money why hasn't it been given to clough to spend.

The lack of a new CB and RW has cost clough dearly.Why in gods name did clough let shackell go it doesn't make sense.

Yes Clough has made lots of mistakes but every successful manager does,its getting more right than you get wrong but if you don't have the chance to spend a little bit of money its damn hard work.Yes people will point to managers that have taken clubs up on shoe strings but what there missing is the other 200 managers that haven't managed it but would probably have success if given some freedom with the purse strings.

People on here have even questioned if Derby are a big club I don't believe what ive been reading when people say we are not.Of course we are a big club its nothing to do with winning things its about how many fans you get through the door but I do accept that is dwindling and might dwindle a hell of a lot more on the next appointment of the new man.

Right now I feel disgusted to be a derby fan.By that I don't mean you could never sack nigel as I must admit I was beginning to lose faith as I don't see sammon or Russell as good signings to be fair and they cost decent money.But to sack nigel after forest is beyond utter contempt.

IM UTTERLY ASHAMED OF THE CLUB ITS REALLY LIKE BRIANS DAYS ALL OVER AGAIN.

I only thought the other day if Clough loses to both Leicester and Forest he would be in a sticky position.

By the way im a Clough fan thru and thru and sooooo wanted him to do well.

You have to ask yourselves two questions.

The timing of his sacking was woeful it should if it was going to happen be after the next game,to sack him after playing forest was wrong in for so many reasons and has sickened me.Wether you like clough or you don't this was absolutely deplorable.

Has clough had money and I mean enough money to really get us up,if the next manager gets money why hasn't it been given to clough to spend.

The lack of a new CB and RW has cost clough dearly.Why in gods name did clough let shackell go it doesn't make sense.

Yes Clough has made lots of mistakes but every successful manager does,its getting more right than you get wrong but if you don't have the chance to spend a little bit of money its damn hard work.Yes people will point to managers that have taken clubs up on shoe strings but what there missing is the other 200 managers that haven't managed it but would probably have success if given some freedom with the purse strings.

People on here have even questioned if Derby are a big club I don't believe what ive been reading when people say we are not.Of course we are a big club its nothing to do with winning things its about how many fans you get through the door but I do accept that is dwindling and might dwindle a hell of a lot more on the next appointment of the new man.

Right now I feel disgusted to be a derby fan.By that I don't mean you could never sack nigel as I must admit I was beginning to lose faith as I don't see sammon or Russell as good signings to be fair and they cost decent money.But to sack nigel after forest is beyond utter contempt.

IM UTTERLY ASHAMED OF THE CLUB ITS REALLY LIKE BRIANS DAYS ALL OVER AGAIN.

Timing wise all I can think was that if we don't get 6 points this week they think that's the end of the season for us. If there are 2 games NC could be relied on to get the boys going it was florist and weeds. From those who went it sounded like we were poor yesterday and NC saying he was content might have been the nail. Thanks Nigel and good luck (honestly)

Right decision. DCFC is more important than any one man. RAMS 4 LIFE

Possibly the right decision if they weren't going to back him. However, definately the wrong time. In fact, it couldn't have been worse given the good work he has done over the last few years. They should have done it in the Summer if it was going to be done. He wasn't actually showered with new funds, was he.

Callous, calculating, cold hearted, cynical...well done Sam and the Board. Football is right for you.

I hope we go for an up and coming manager who plays football in the right way. Unlike Clough, he has inherited a number of good young players to work with. Presumably the Sam/ the Board's next level is upwards in terms of entertainment too? I'm all for that so we can discount Warnock and Pulis. Phew!

Rams fan Niall Horan.tweeted on @NiallOfficial: "Just found out derby have sacked Nigel Clough! That board make me sick. What do you expect a manager t do with no money! Fools."

No free tickets for concerts for Appleby then......

Archived