Clough Has Gone

Shuff264

I presume all those who constantly made excuses for Clough will be doing the same for the new manager?

Safe to say Saul Deeneys free ride is over to and a few others probably.

Wonder where Clough will end up? Somewhere mediocre

And I presume we will be nailed on certainties for play offs now with a new manager and, if we don't make it fans like you will take your share of the blame?

Wherever he ends up I hope he has a set of fans who are more appreciative and grateful than some of ours have been.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This season can't be the one to judge anymore, can it?

If a manager comes in and we only finish 11th, it doesn't make the decision to part ways with Nigel any more or less valid,  the way it's going this season the chances of us improving on last season were slim to anyway.

Any new manager has to be given at least 2 transfer windows in my book - although that book isn't the one most chairmen seem to read.

How nice Nigel Clough is or what he did when is mum died is neither here nor there. Putting himself before the club, or whatever piffle Savage has been on about, is irrelevant.

All that matters is his professional record. And that's pretty poor.

On a human level, it's sad that a nice person gets the sack. But if they are not very good at their job, it is necessary for the good of the organisation.

My sentiments exactly. Many folks on here are muddying the simple facts that the board thought Clough was underperforming by saying that the timing was awful, the board lack class. Its a business decision and the board didnt make their pile by not being ruthless. Am just disapointed they took so long to get to yesterdays juncture.

This season can't be the one to judge anymore, can it?

If a manager comes in and we only finish 11th, it doesn't make the decision to part ways with Nigel any more or less valid,  the way it's going this season the chances of us improving on last season were slim to anyway.

Any new manager has to be given at least 2 transfer windows in my book - although that book isn't the one most chairmen seem to read.

Yeah, shame Clough only had about 8

And I presume we will be nailed on certainties for play offs now with a new manager and, if we don't make it fans like you will take your share of the blame?

Wherever he ends up I hope he has a set of fans who are more appreciative and grateful than some of ours have been.

I will give the new manager a chance.

I could not stand Clough's negativity and constant whinging about certain players kicking the ball in to the corners!

Also will be nice to have a player or two further upfield when defending corners.

And also positive substitutions when we go a goal down.

Clough's gone and he's taken his violins with him!

I will give the new manager a chance.

I could not stand Clough's negativity and constant whinging about certain players kicking the ball in to the corners!

Also will be nice to have a player or two further upfield when defending corners.

And also positive substitutions when we go a goal down.

Clough's gone and he's taken his violins with him!

Would agree with both of them points re tactics

On receiving texts whilst out last night, I could not believe it, and still cant!

This is a big, big mistake and as consequence we have now gone back years. The foundations that have been set, the careful nurturing of young players, the team sprit and commitment that had been engendered, all binned by individuals with no appreciation or understanding on what football is about.

For whatever reason an element of our support took an immediate dislike to NC and in that sense he was always on a loser, despite his numerous achievements, which will never be acknowledged. Noticeable that his biggest critics are non-attendees at PP.

Have a trawl through the net and all you will be greeted with comments and observations from people with good football insight and understanding who are absolutely shocked by this shocking decision. As with the majority of Derby’s loyal they appreciate that a side with exceptional potential was being shaped whilst playing pleasing football and all achieved on a shoestring!

Had Sammon scored at the end yesterday would we be here now? Luck I guess, and people will say that you make your own luck. But consider Cloughs luck in relation to Hendrick (massive), Coutts, O Brien and Barker, a big impact on a small squad.

As I’ve said, all undone. The existing players WILLL NOT have he same commitment or desire for a new Manager who ever that may be, and please do not let it be Pullis. It will be interesting to see if any finances are given to the new manger and if that is the case I will be even more annoyed.

All those saying it was a big mistake to sack Clough why dont they reserve judgement until the new manager has come in and had their feet under the table for a couple of trasnfer windows at least? Just like every season we have been saying give Clough another  season, lets see what happens in the summer, give Cloughs signings chance to prove themselves ad infinitum. At least yesterday has put a closure to this dreary cycle.

If a manager doesn't have money to spend, do transfer windows count?

You do the best you can I suppose.

Nigel was not the first manager to have to carry on with similar restrictions, I would think some have done better and others worse.

Its the game they are in, success is all, the level of success acceptable is out of their hands.

I have been consistent since he came, I did not want him, nothing personal, just not my preference , much the same as people are

saying now, about Pulis etc.

I would go for Pulis he is a master at what he does, never relegated, and vastly improved virtually every club he has been to .

Rumour has it that Rush did an impromptu real ale pub crawl on Friday night which led to the shock decision.

He stumbled upon establishmnet of real ale refreshment and discovered that a theme night was being held

called 'Seance in Swadlincote'. Rush was wary of this local place and local people and thought to himself

I shall only have a swift half. He asked the barmaid if he could have half of the guest beer 'Nigel's Head'.

Strange phrases and other localised devilry had begun in the corner of the room. Rush was about to leave when the lights

in the room went out. As the lights came on again the pub had emptied and Rush was alone with the exception

of the barmaid who had a strange timeless look on her face. Rush took a look around the room as he tried to make sense

of what had just happened and then he heard a sound of a wheel spinning. In the centre of the room there was an overturned wheelchair with it's elevated wheel spinning frantically. Rush took out his mobile phone, dialled a number and said

"Someone get me Glenn Hoddle" - you heard it here first.

I just got fed up with NC in the end, didn't really see the plan for promotion after the minimal but noticeable improvement in the past few seasons. NC isn't our worst manager not by a long shot, but it isn't a spell I will remember that much in 40 years time as mid-table Championship finishes become pretty unforgettable after several years, only things I will remember are Hughes and Hendrick.

For me it is the sucess of DCFC is more important than keeping an under performing manager despite his love for the club, modern football is cut throat and the owners can't sustain the losses for much longer I don't think so they probably think the gamble is worth it. I'm interested to see the results and I don't think it will be as bad as people think it will be.

I just got fed up with NC in the end, didn't really see the plan for promotion after the minimal but noticeable improvement in the past few seasons. NC isn't our worst manager not by a long shot, but it isn't a spell I will remember that much in 40 years time as mid-table Championship finishes become pretty unforgettable after several years, only things I will remember are Hughes and Hendrick.

That paragraph resonates with me. If I had to use two phrases to sum up Cloughs tenure it would be average and instantly forgetable 

All those saying it was a big mistake to sack Clough why dont they reserve judgement until the new manager has come in and had their feet under the table for a couple of trasnfer windows at least? Just like every season we have been saying give Clough another season, lets see what happens in the summer, give Cloughs signings chance to prove themselves ad infinitum. At least yesterday has put a closure to this dreary cycle.

I agree that we should wait and see. If the change in manager is a success and we go onwards and upwards then happy days. We don't know yet whether this is for better or for worse.

Archived