Derby County v Burnley

Alph

"It was down to individual errors and we brought Kieron (Freeman) off at half-time. We thought both goals came from his area and he should have done better but it's about the team and we never seemed to get going.

Are we seriously suggesting that this is somehow detrimental to a professional footballer? Really?

Are they that precious that such a comment will affect them?

I'm sorry lads but if people think the above statement from Clough is out of order then its time to give up. I just can't see it! Try as I might I cannot see anything wrong with that.

I know at work there is a tendency with the youngsters to sulk and get mardy if they're told off but a young lad who has been on the books of professional football clubs since he was a kid would have been bollocked and shouted at in front of teammates for the last 10 years. 

If he has the tiniest chance at all of having a decent career he will shrug it off and learn from his mistakes. 

I think by suggesting Kieron will be hurt by this is actually doing the lad a disservice and intimating he's a bit soft and not mentally strong enough to be a pro footballer.

He should be bollocked for today and he should learn from it.  Explain to me the reason to continually do this in the media with players?  If I mess up at work then I will know I've messed up, I would expect my superiors to tell me I have and probably tear me a new one.  I would not want them to do it publicly and I'd be annoyed if they did.  I see no benefit for it and no reason for it.

It's not a case of Kieron being a fragile pro-footballer who needs wrapping up in cotton wool, it's more a case of wanting our manager to act in a professional way when representing our club in the press.

Are they the worst comments in the world?  No.  Are they even that bad in terms of singling a player out? No.  But are they the first time he's done it? No.  Has he done it before and worse so? Yes.  Do I want our manager to come out and name players for mistakes (and may I add not all players, some escape criticism, others don't) rather than deal with it in house? No.  Do I need the manager to tell me who's fault the goals were?  Is that some amazing insight?  No it was obvious so it was not needed and should just be left out.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seem to remember Kieron put in a brilliant cross for Martins winner against Brighton . What annoys me is Clough only does it to certain players . What's the betting he's left out for Smith now who is no Brayford.

And the first goal was Buxton's fault. He was there, he failed to deal with situation, he gifted them an opener when we were on top. Did he single out him? Not a word.

I am as angry about him being blind to the fact Buxton is #### as I am to him singling out a player in public.

He should be bollocked for today and he should learn from it.  Explain to me the reason to continually do this in the media with players?  If I mess up at work then I will know I've messed up, I would expect my superiors to tell me I have and probably tear me a new one.  I would not want them to do it publicly and I'd be annoyed if they did.  I see no benefit for it and no reason for it.

It's not a case of Kieron being a fragile pro-footballer who needs wrapping up in cotton wool, it's more a case of wanting our manager to act in a professional way when representing our club in the press.

Are they the worst comments in the world?  No.  Are they even that bad in terms of singling a player out? No.  But are they the first time he's done it? No.  Has he done it before and worse so? Yes.  Do I want our manager to come out and name players for mistakes (and may I add not all players, some escape criticism, others don't) rather than deal with it in house? No.  Do I need the manager to tell me who's fault the goals were?  Is that some amazing insight?  No it was obvious so it was not needed and should just be left out.

I can't see the problem. I can't see him "continually" doing it either, maybe I just don't notice it because I don't think its important.

And just to add.  If we were playing silky football, leading the table, looking amazing and Nigel was looking like one of our best managers ever then I would still have an issue with this.

Fair play. I can see its important to you. I just don't see it mesen.

Point is I don't actually think the first 2 goals were all Kierans fault. Bet we don't see him much now .

First one he gave the ball away and our midfield had gone absent and left their pacey player to run at Bucko from the half way line. - incidentally where was Keogh

The second it appeared to me the ball was going out for a goal kick and two of our players managed to keep it in. Could be wrong as I didn't have a clear view of it really.

Entirely depends on the player's mentality. Doesn't matter where you are in the world or what power you hold, if you try your best and your boss criticises you and you are of a certain mindset, it will damage you. Some respond, some don't.

Personally I think it is unprofessional regardless of if a player can handle it or not. Just does not sell a team unit to me.

Not saying Kieron was blameless ill watch it on Football League show in a bit if I can stand it. Certainly can't blame him for 3rd goal

im sure some will try; wonder who was supposed to be picking up shackell as he had a free shot on goal

I didn't think it was a 3-0 game personally.

We weren't at our best by any stretch but we had most of the game and some good chances. I thought we lacked a bit of intensity and purpose in our attacking though.

We had 4 or 5 clear cut chances and failed to put them away, they had 4 shots on target and scored 3. They defended well as a unit and we struggled to break them down, we were let down by some individual errors but beyond that i dont think we were anywhere near as bad as some have suggested. Nor do i think that today's result can be put down to Clough's tactics, we were set-up okay just didn't happen for us today. If Russell puts away one of his chances I think we'd be looking at a different result.

Burnley played the archetypal away performance, very tough to break down and strong on the break, they deserve some credit for taking their chances and defending well.

Until we're a few more games in I don't think we can say we've got serious issues at home, a win or two under our belts and we'll be looking forwards again.

With regards to Clough's comments on Freeman, they're hardly damming but I don't think he needs to name names, not really necessary.

Poor performance all round...but were going to get days like this...after all we are still a mid table side, as much as it pains me to admit it...

When you look at our summer recruitment do you really think it has been good enough to propel us towards the top off the table...Russell another lucky dip SPL player was our star signing for **** s sake & lets be honest he looks out of his depth at the moment....then we lose one of our best players in Brayford..

Grant was a decent signing, & Martin looks ok...as for the rest of the recruitment, ***** so far...

James Vaughn, Burke, Baptiste were touted but we ended up with inferior players as usual.. whether this is down to Clough or the board I dont know...what I do know is that I will be amazed if we manage a top six finish...

So enjoy the good days & face up to the fact there will be more days like today to come...

Just seen the highlights. First goal, yeah, I understand why Clough was mad at Freeman, he was useless. Didn't look interested in stopping the goal. That said, Buxton was pathetic in stopping it, went for it far too late, was weak.

Second goal Freeman at fault again. Not sure what he's doing tbh. Though Keogh should have atleast some of the blame. They were both useless in defending the cross. Unbelieveable. (Even though it was nearly a repeat of the Leicester goal, but this time Hughes kicked it off Vokes).

The penalty. Well what a joke. NEVER a penalty that. Actually a really good tackle. Also really weak pen, but as equally good save.

Their third, Buxton at fault. Stood in no-mans land for a corner. Not marking Shackell like he was supposed to be. Rubbish.

Now,

I thought we controlled the game for the most part and that is the most worrying thing. We had around 70% of that ball, and we've struggled to muster a chance on target and we've defended inexcusably.

The fact Nigel has said about Freeman has annoyed me beyond belief - fact is we have 2 experienced centre backs who've both been absolute toss today, and we're apparently happy with that position. Him not going out and improving that position could end up being the worst decision of his mangerial career, because let's be honest - he needs it to work here, because I don't think a host of clubs will be queuing for him after! 

Ratings:

Lee Grant - 4 - Needs to be doing better, arguably all shots he should have dealt with - looked under pressure, very poor performance.

Craig Forsyth - 6 - MOTM - defended reasonably well, distribution okay - definitely one of his better games for us, but unfortunately was dragged down with a very poor defensive display.

Jake Buxton - 3 - was awful, at fault for 2 goals - was punished today for his inefficiencies physically, and he made lots of bad decisions which he couldn't get back from.

Richard Keogh - 3 - awful distribution, awful decision making.. did one of the stupidest things I have ever whitnessed on a football pitch and headed it straight down to their striker 4 yards out, luckily was defended well (by buxton and grant) but it's just awful.

Kieron Freeman - 4 - was his worst game, was second best to everything - was never at blame for anything significant though, putting that on him is unbelievable from Clough. 

Adam Smith - 6 - much better, seemed to not have the burden of the first half on him - looked spritely if not inspiring in anyway.

Will Hughes - 4 - was dreadful, more misplaced passes today than in his whole derby career previous, out of position a lot of the time, wasn't disciplined, wasn't strong and only did the 'simple' things well.

Paul Coutts - 4 - rash with the ball, put himself around a bit and was marginally better than Hughes but final ball today was toss.

Craig Bryson - 5 - our best midfielder getting a 5, for his tireless work-ethic and drive with the ball at times. Tested Burnley, but seemed to lack that extra quality to do damage.

Johnny Russell - 5 - got into the positions, looked sharp - SHOULD have scored about 4, still looks rusty and hopefully it'll all come good for him, ability is at least there.

Chris Martin - 6 - made smart decisions at times, looked to want the ball - looks like a good player but just didn't work to him today.

-----------------------------------

Overall there was a lot wrong individually, the system was quite good - but lacked that final ball, and made the wrong decision a lot of the time.

We are a better side than Burnley, you could see that today - they had a very good defensive display today, and danny ings was their outlet - we had all the ball, we should have been the one asking question - instead we just looked out of ideas. 

I will write up, a monthly review (which I've previously promised with monthly ratings...etc should be, depressing)

Now,

I thought we controlled the game for the most part and that is the most worrying thing. We had around 70% of that ball, and we've struggled to muster a chance on target and we've defended inexcusably.

The fact Nigel has said about Freeman has annoyed me beyond belief - fact is we have 2 experienced centre backs who've both been absolute toss today, and we're apparently happy with that position. Him not going out and improving that position could end up being the worst decision of his mangerial career, because let's be honest - he needs it to work here, because I don't think a host of clubs will be queuing for him after! 

Ratings:

Lee Grant - 4 - Needs to be doing better, arguably all shots he should have dealt with - looked under pressure, very poor performance.

Craig Forsyth - 6 - MOTM - defended reasonably well, distribution okay - definitely one of his better games for us, but unfortunately was dragged down with a very poor defensive display.

Jake Buxton - 3 - was awful, at fault for 2 goals - was punished today for his inefficiencies physically, and he made lots of bad decisions which he couldn't get back from.

Richard Keogh - 3 - awful distribution, awful decision making.. did one of the stupidest things I have ever whitnessed on a football pitch and headed it straight down to their striker 4 yards out, luckily was defended well (by buxton and grant) but it's just awful.

Kieron Freeman - 4 - was his worst game, was second best to everything - was never at blame for anything significant though, putting that on him is unbelievable from Clough. 

Adam Smith - 6 - much better, seemed to not have the burden of the first half on him - looked spritely if not inspiring in anyway.

Will Hughes - 4 - was dreadful, more misplaced passes today than in his whole derby career previous, out of position a lot of the time, wasn't disciplined, wasn't strong and only did the 'simple' things well.

Paul Coutts - 4 - rash with the ball, put himself around a bit and was marginally better than Hughes but final ball today was toss.

Craig Bryson - 5 - our best midfielder getting a 5, for his tireless work-ethic and drive with the ball at times. Tested Burnley, but seemed to lack that extra quality to do damage.

Johnny Russell - 5 - got into the positions, looked sharp - SHOULD have scored about 4, still looks rusty and hopefully it'll all come good for him, ability is at least there.

Chris Martin - 6 - made smart decisions at times, looked to want the ball - looks like a good player but just didn't work to him today.

-----------------------------------

Overall there was a lot wrong individually, the system was quite good - but lacked that final ball, and made the wrong decision a lot of the time.

We are a better side than Burnley, you could see that today - they had a very good defensive display today, and danny ings was their outlet - we had all the ball, we should have been the one asking question - instead we just looked out of ideas. 

I will write up, a monthly review (which I've previously promised with monthly ratings...etc should be, depressing)

You should check out the highlights of the game. Clough was right about Freeman, I'm don't agree with the way he went about 'punishing' Freeman, but Freeman was at fault for the first two. That said Buxton was also at fault for the first and Keogh for the second.

Archived