Derby County v Burnley

Alph

What's up with Jonny Russell? Plenty of chances to bury a few it seems but didn't manage it.

We should've won that game 4-3 :)

Trying a bit too hard by the looks of it, had some excellent chances, just needed to relax and stick it in the net, I honestly think if he'd have put one of his chances away we'd be looking at an altogether different result.

I'm sure it'll come once he gets a bit more comfortable in his surroundings.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I have seen from the highlights the quality of Burnley goals came from what I indicated previous to the game, Burnley will play to catch on the counter. Now if I knew that and all I see of Burnley is the 2-10 minutes they get featured on BBC on a Saturday night, how come Clough didn't notice that?

As previously pointed out by other posters (not sure as I haven't read all the pages following the game) 1 converted penalty in 6 is a terrible return. Does the club in training sessions have to keep Russell/Ward/Sammon and other elected hitters to stay behind and practice penalties?

Home form is worrying. Normally we would moan that its the away form that needs improving but dear God, clubs are going to be rubbing their hands looking forward to playing at Pride Park as it looks to be a place to pick up a point or 3

What I have seen from the highlights the quality of Burnley goals came from what I indicated previous to the game, Burnley will play to catch on the counter. Now if I knew that and all I see of Burnley is the 2-10 minutes they get featured on BBC on a Saturday night, how come Clough didn't notice that?

As previously pointed out by other posters (not sure as I haven't read all the pages following the game) 1 converted penalty in 6 is a terrible return. Does the club in training sessions have to keep Russell/Ward/Sammon and other elected hitters to stay behind and practice penalties?

Home form is worrying. Normally we would moan that its the away form that needs improving but dear God, clubs are going to be rubbing their hands looking forward to playing at Pride Park as it looks to be a place to pick up a point or 3

We've played 3 teams who've come and sat at Pride Park - I hope teams come with attacking intent, we might actually get a break then.m 

I'd criticise players in public aswell, why not? They should listen to it, take it on board and improve on it. When he's questioned in a public interview he's not going to lie or make stuff up is he?...

Anyway, bad result but with a fortnight to get over it, sort it aaaaat and come back fighting. You can't win 'em all.

Agree with this. They are footballers who need to be told and require to react accordingly, whether it's behind a closed door or when media folk are on the lookout to try and create a story out of nothing or when fans are takling about something or posting on here and the like about nothing.

If the player has anything about him, he'll be trying his hardest to prove to his Manager that he'll play better in his next game and thereafter, if and when selected. If he can't improve, then he's not much of a footballer.

can you think of an example of a player being slated by a manager and the manager then going on to be successful using the same player?

can't quite remember if it was manager or fans but there was a time Gareth Bale wasn't the most liked player at spurs, they seem to lose every time he started for them, abeilt early on in career there, nearly got loaned out to Florist!

can't quite remember if it was manager or fans but there was a time Gareth Bale wasn't the most liked player at spurs, they seem to lose every time he started for them, abeilt early on in career there, nearly got loaned out to Florist!

he was never singled out though, he got sympathy. Although the threat of being sent to Nottingham soon sorted him out!

Don't remember Redknapp coming out and slating him though.

Sam Rush is employed by the owners, as was Tom Glick, I'm not sure what you expect of him tbh.

The very nature of football forums means that every defeat will be debated to the nth degree. This forum has far more visitors after a loss than it does a win,...we like a good moan! Hull City lost 15 games last season and got automatic promotion, I imagine they had plenty of pessimism on their forums.

Its early days, i think the 12-15 game mark will be the time to judge if we look like having a go at the top 6 or not. 

Agree with this. The fact that most folk on here are moaning again, they seem to think it's ok for them to do so, but as soon as anybody at their club does it, oh no, that's not allowed, and is not acceptable.

Nigel Clough will do it his way, so will Sam Rush and it's up to us all to let them get on with it. Support your club.

And let's face it we've been duff against Burnley for years now. How many of us were really suprised about the result. We've only managed a 0-0 in 2012 and a 1-1 draw against this lot back in 2009. We have to go back to 2007 for a 1-0 win against them. It's probably the same with Blackburn and Leicester. All teams have bogey teams and the statistics show that, and yes it' up to Nigel and co to change these statistics and I'm sure the Leeds and Forest recent statistics will probably prove that, and probably with some other teams also.

Unfortunately too many fans always want and choose to moan, is it really harder or a big ask for more fans to be positive and help their team become more successful by supporting them instead of constantly knocking them down and looking to promote their so called weaknesses.(or are they strengths?) At the end of the day if us “Derby” fans want to advertise and promote Nigel Clough’s so called weaknesses (or are they strengths?)  or Sam Rush’s or whoever at the club.

Does that mean we are doing an injustice to our club and just like the media folk are looking to trip Nigel and all the others up, and see our club, Derby County fail?

I know what I choose. Up the Rams. We are Derby, Super Derby, Super Rams……….

Check out the stats.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/derby-county/head-to-head

Agree with this. The fact that most folk on here are moaning again, they seem to think it's ok for them to do so, but as soon as anybody at their club does it, oh no, that's not allowed, and is not acceptable.

Nigel Clough will do it his way, so will Sam Rush and it's up to us all to let them get on with it. Support your club.

And let's face it we've been duff against Burnley for years now. How many of us were really suprised about the result. We've only managed a 0-0 in 2012 and a 1-1 draw against this lot back in 2009. We have to go back to 2007 for a 1-0 win against them. It's probably the same with Blackburn and Leicester. All teams have bogey teams and the statistics show that, and yes it' up to Nigel and co to change these statistics and I'm sure the Leeds and Forest recent statistics will probably prove that, and probably with some other teams also.

Unfortunately too many fans always want and choose to moan, is it really harder or a big ask for more fans to be positive and help their team become more successful by supporting them instead of constantly knocking them down and looking to promote their so called weaknesses.(or are they strengths?) At the end of the day if us “Derby” fans want to advertise and promote Nigel Clough’s so called weaknesses (or are they strengths?)  or Sam Rush’s or whoever at the club.

Does that mean we are doing an injustice to our club and just like the media folk are looking to trip Nigel and all the others up, and see our club, Derby County fail?

I know what I choose. Up the Rams. We are Derby, Super Derby, Super Rams……….

Check out the stats.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/derby-county/head-to-head

unsure if this is insulting or disrespectful to say, but hey-ho, what a load of nonsense.

There's a massive difference in fans moaning and the manager moaning. The fans are just that...fans. Whereas, whilst stating the obvious, the manager is a paid employee of the club who relies on these players to keep him in a job! Fans will always moan, fans moan at the big clubs that win things, that's the way of it. Fans booed players and manager at Chelsea last season but they still won... why was that? Well simply, the manager created a bond with his team, a unit, he closed ranks and kept everything in house. He was professional and made the players publicly feel part of things. Even the likes of Terry and Lampard, both unfancied by Benitez, were never criticised by the manager. You could apply this to every manager that has been successful. Even Brian Clough, he worded his 'criticisms' cleverly, like Mourinho does and made them sound like challenges to his player.

As for fans being positive, I think you're insulting fans here! Fans were positive for the last 5 years, and even back further, are the club positive? NO. Now it's time for the club to make the move now cos fans are sick of being taken advantage of.

unsure if this is insulting or disrespectful to say, but hey-ho, what a load of nonsense.

There's a massive difference in fans moaning and the manager moaning. The fans are just that...fans. Whereas, whilst stating the obvious, the manager is a paid employee of the club who relies on these players to keep him in a job! Fans will always moan, fans moan at the big clubs that win things, that's the way of it. Fans booed players and manager at Chelsea last season but they still won... why was that? Well simply, the manager created a bond with his team, a unit, he closed ranks and kept everything in house. He was professional and made the players publicly feel part of things. Even the likes of Terry and Lampard, both unfancied by Benitez, were never criticised by the manager. You could apply this to every manager that has been successful. Even Brian Clough, he worded his 'criticisms' cleverly, like Mourinho does and made them sound like challenges to his player.

As for fans being positive, I think you're insulting fans here! Fans were positive for the last 5 years, and even back further, are the club positive? NO. Now it's time for the club to make the move now cos fans are sick of being taken advantage of.

I'm not insulting anyone!......Just my opinion and you are welcome to make of it, whatever you like. Just like whatever you make of anything Nigel Clough and all the rest do or say or in this manner type.

It's football and any football manager is entitled to do it their way. And how they do it, doesn't make it right or wrong.

Enjoy yourself and all the rest.

How I look at it is this. If we'd won on Saturday we would have been 3rd in the table. Many on here would have been wildly over optimistic and predicting promotion.

However we lost and we're 14th and people are being wildly over pessimistic.

Football is like this for 90% plus of clubs and probably 100% in the championship at this stage of season.

Nigel seems to be incrementally but slowly improving the squad, but if the budget is as tight as it is at Derby then that is an achievement in itself.

The feeling we get after a match like that is horrible, truly wretched, but I still would prefer Nigel Clough at the moment to any current manager in our league. 

How I look at it is this. If we'd won on Saturday we would have been 3rd in the table. Many on here would have been wildly over optimistic and predicting promotion.

However we lost and we're 14th and people are being wildly over pessimistic.

Football is like this for 90% plus of clubs and probably 100% in the championship at this stage of season.

Nigel seems to be incrementally but slowly improving the squad, but if the budget is as tight as it is at Derby then that is an achievement in itself.

The feeling we get after a match like that is horrible, truly wretched, but I still would prefer Nigel Clough at the moment to any current manager in our league.

It's not about wild optimism or pessimism. I don't think any fan believes we'll fight relegation. The angst is more about the stagnation of the club and lack of progression. It's seeing the season pan out the same way every year.

And I think he's had long enough of slow incremental improvement to not bemoan the budget.

It's not about wild optimism or pessimism. I don't think any fan believes we'll fight relegation. The angst is more about the stagnation of the club and lack of progression. It's seeing the season pan out the same way every year.

And I think he's had long enough of slow incremental improvement to not bemoan the budget.

Well, not sure I mentioned fighting relegation and I've never heard Clough bemoan the budget for that matter, but I'm sure we'd all agree that the club are not throwing money around in the transfer market. 

Just compare the mood now compared to after Yeovil and yet its the same team/squad/manager? We'd all love the club to splash 10mil and no doubt it could make a big difference, but only "could" as Leicester have found and in any case the budget is not set by the manager.

I'm not sure what the answer is but changing manager is rarely the solution, just look at Leeds/Forest/Leicester/Blackburn, more managers than god knows who but they reside in the same division as we do.

Well, not sure I mentioned fighting relegation and I've never heard Clough bemoan the budget for that matter, but I'm sure we'd all agree that the club are not throwing money around in the transfer market. Just compare the mood now compared to after Yeovil and yet its the same team/squad/manager? We'd all love the club to splash 10mil and no doubt it could make a big difference, but only "could" as Leicester have found and in any case the budget is not set by the manager. I'm not sure what the answer is but changing manager is rarely the solution, just look at Leeds/Forest/Leicester/Blackburn, more managers than god knows who but they reside in the same division as we do.
I didn't say Nigel had bemoaned the budget, that was a comment about the fans who consistently lay the blame for stagnation at the board and mark Nigel as some heroic figure in the face of adversity. I agree completely that money doesn't buy you success. It's investing wisely in the right people under the right manager. Enough managers have proven that in the past. I also agree that a knee jerk change of manager isn't the solution. This isn't knee jerk though and eventually you assess wether or not it's working. In my eyes, and an increasing number of others, it isn't working. I don't think sticking with a manager who, for a fair few now, isn't up to the task is the solution. Maybe he goes and we get worse, maybe we get better. I'd prefer to try than stick with what we have. Oh and it pains me to say. Forest isn't a good example of manager changes going wrong. BD knows what he's doing in this league so....

I didn't say Nigel had bemoaned the budget, that was a comment about the fans who consistently lay the blame for stagnation at the board and mark Nigel as some heroic figure in the face of adversity. I agree completely that money doesn't buy you success. It's investing wisely in the right people under the right manager. Enough managers have proven that in the past. I also agree that a knee jerk change of manager isn't the solution. This isn't knee jerk though and eventually you assess wether or not it's working. In my eyes, and an increasing number of others, it isn't working. I don't think sticking with a manager who, for a fair few now, isn't up to the task is the solution. Maybe he goes and we get worse, maybe we get better. I'd prefer to try than stick with what we have. Oh and it pains me to say. Forest isn't a good example of manager changes going wrong. BD knows what he's doing in this league so....

Its difficult to compare Clough to BD, The moaning Dwarf can never have enough money to spend and when things go wrong he simply asks for more money to spend. Plus he did buy some shockers at Derby. We'll never know but I really doubt he would be doing better than Clough with the same budget and would simply have walked by now.

Its difficult to compare Clough to BD, The moaning Dwarf can never have enough money to spend and when things go wrong he simply asks for more money to spend. Plus he did buy some shockers at Derby. We'll never know but I really doubt he would be doing better than Clough with the same budget and would simply have walked by now.

I wasn't comparing the two, merely suggesting that using Forest as an example of changing manager not working wasn't great. I don't know how BD would do here and I don't want to know. I know how Nigel is doing though.

Archived