Brighton & Hove Albion v Derby County

-JW-

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was right in the middle so maybe I got the whole of it. Our fans seemed a lot more positive today.

Definitely agree on that pal. Even that spell in the second half when we under the cosh a bit, none of the fans were getting on the players backs. Long may that continue. 

In the Non-League Nigel Clough days (no, not last week), Bucko was not considered to even be league 2 standard by some. He got into the side because

a. he was cheap

b. he was Clough's 'favourite'.

He was originally bought in as emergency cover (the 'Development' squad) but circumstances dictated that he was drafted into the side. 75 or so games later, he's a valued (by some) yet unappreciated (by others) member of the first team. 

Jake could play Colin Todd-like all season and he still wouldn't be good enough for some, because judgements have been made and minds made up. It's exactly the same with the manager - no matter what he does, he wasn't wanted by some, therefore he will never be the right man.

That's a little unfair, to sort every fan into two groups and make out that the ones you disagree with are stubborn and bias is just silly. I mean people either value him or under appreciate him? What about the option of people just thinking he's not that good a player?

That's a little unfair, to sort every fan into two groups and make out that the ones you disagree with are stubborn and bias is just silly. I mean people either value him or under appreciate him? What about the option of people just thinking he's not that good a player?

I think it's perfectly fair to suggest that there is no middle ground when it comes to opinions regarding the ability of Jake Buxton.

I will go as far as to suggest that many people's opinion of Buxton has never changed since even before they ever saw him pull on a Derby shirt. Not good enough on paper, therefore not good enough period. 

I didn't go today, but neither did you. However, those who did go (and have posted) are universal in their appraisal of Jake's performance.

I remember when Buxton arrived and NC said that he doesn't bring anything quality wise to the team, what

he will do is provide steel, determination, and 110% effort every time he puts on the shirt. (which we weren't getting)

I would sooner have that, than someone who could do better but can't be bothered!! We can all see he has improved,

admittedly, when we go up he'll have reached his limit, but in the Champ hes just what we need. IMO..

Huzzah! The formation was fluid away from home for about the 4th time in 100years?!?!

Like Wolves away last year! We attacked!!!

We fookin attacked all game!!! We attacked and tried to score!!!

Martin - told you he was good! Told you mutherfuthers!! Ball to his feet. If you want shadows chasing and pressure use Sammon. Martin gets it at his feet and he gives you a point to work from. He relieves pressure because it sticks and he's getting comfy with Hughes.

Hughes is **** version of an Iniesta/Xavi cross clone. If we sell him for less than 2,000 Barker type fees then we're mad.

Freeman is surprisingly good. The expectations are to replace that Bradford? Broadfoot? That ginger fella we sold. A bit unfair considering the lack of experience but he's started alright you know? I can think of worse.

Forsyth... Stop hoofing mate. You're better than that. We've seen it,

Might aswell promote us now.

Get into them and touch em up!

I might watch the game again, but on first look (being at the game, here is what I thought)

Grant - 7 - very assured performance again, and made 2 very good saves in the second half when we were coming under the cosh a little bit. 

Forsyth - 6 - much better in the second half, first half he was quite poor and paniced at times in possession which results in a trademark 'jay mac' punt down the wing to no-one, he wasn't helped by not having a left midfielder at hand though.

Freeman - 7 - again, much better second - quite poor in the first I thought, but again a lot was asked of him.. partially at fault for the goal, but the cross for our winner was perfect. 

Buxton - 7 - good performance, was the quieter of the centre halves but certainly the better and held his own and distributed very well! 

Keogh - 6 - Their big striker bullied him at times, and after he knew he had the beating of him they played on that, so he had a lot to deal with and never looked comfortable - must carry partial blame for the goal also IMO, but that being said - he had ALOT to deal with and in the end he did okay with the majority, by hook or by crook at times but still.

Coutts - 8 - has really impressed me this past week, thought he was very good against Oldham and outstanding today, our best midfield player by his shear industrial side, seemed to be everywhere and gave everyone an option, showed a lot of quality at times. 

Hendrick - 7 - didn't have too much impact on the game, but everything he did, he did well - I'd like to see him sitting around the edge of the box, especially when we are looking to strike from there as he is our best chance IMO

Hughes - 6 - started very strong, and never really lost the ball - physically got stood up a few times, and resorted in 'sideways' passing, and second half barely touched the ball - quality can be seen from a mile away.

Bryson - 7 - very busy today, ran some distance - kept everything ticking over and kept on moving, perhaps didn't get on the ball enough to utilise him enough, but again showed competency in the main. 

Russell - 5 - worst player today, nothing stuck and most things didn't come off for him - one of them days, his quality can be seen from a mile off, but, think he was frustrated in himself today! 

Martin - 9 - MOTM - well, I was one of his biggest, not doubters but critics - and today I was in complete awe of him. First and foremost his physicality today of playing with his back to goal was sublime and gave us an option we've struggled with away from home, but the best thing for me was his touch along with his flick ons - these were so sharp today it was unreal, looked like a seasoned premier league striker with the quality on show today. He has started the season very strongly, and hopefully it keeps up. 

I think overall, the game could have gone either way - we could have won 3-0, 4-1...etc but could have lost by the same margin equally, they played incredibly direct football, and barely looked to go through the middle. They realised that our full backs were asked to do a big job today, and, tried to use the 'beast' like ulloa who is an incredible athlete and very strong in the air - by crossing it from very deep. A massive oontrast from what I expected them to do, their fans and manager on the radio seemed slightly delusional, one fan seemed to think brighton 'over-played' at times, which was ludacris, and their manager saying they created 'loads' of chances, but these were mainly long balls to ulloa from wide positions, not even close to being remotely clear cut, but hey-ho, it's all about opinions - I guess. 

We've definitely got room for improvement, but, it's a great base to start from. 

A massive oontrast from what I expected them to do, their fans and manager on the radio seemed slightly delusional, one fan seemed to think brighton 'over-played' at times, which was ludacris, and their manager saying they created 'loads' of chances, but these were mainly long balls to ulloa from wide positions, not even close to being remotely clear cut, but hey-ho, it's all about opinions - I guess.

We've definitely got room for improvement, but, it's a great base to start from.

If I was forced to judge them based only on today v when we played them under Poyet I'd say they've gone backwards.

Probably not entirely fair because its very early days for them. But if they want outside opinion then that's what I'd say. Some good players. A good striker. But I had higher expectations didnt you?

I know we can play better. I'd hope they can too if they have promotion ambitions.

If I was forced to judge them based only on today v when we played them under Poyet I'd say they've gone backwards.

Probably not entirely fair because its very early days for them. But if they want outside opinion then that's what I'd say. Some good players. A good striker. But I had higher expectations didnt you?

I know we can play better. I'd hope they can too if they have promotion ambitions.

From what I saw they were playing good stuff against leeds and got torn apart by a long ball, a knock down and a wild shot in the box - and, today for me it looked like they were trying that. 

It wasn't good football they were playing, but after so many draws last season after playing between midfield and defence it seems like they've gone for a more direct approach(especially after the leeds game), but took it ridiculously too far today. 

Martin - 9. My MOTM. Immense. Touch, ball retention, lay offs, finishing, holding it up... Can't speak more highly of him today. Looks three times the player we had on loan last year. Focal point to everything good. Keep it up!

You Rams!

Some changes in the team and formation but the biggest difference this season is Martin is fitter than last season.

Archived