Brighton & Hove Albion v Derby County

-JW-

All round class today from the first to the last minute. Bar a 10 minute spell from the 70th to the 80th minute we were more than in control of this game.

Martin was phenomenal

Freeman was excellent

Grant pulled off a couple of good saves

The midfield diamond worked a treat, fairplay Cloughie.

Only negatives really were the above mentioned 10 minutes where our defence was all over the shop, our support was dire too.

EI EI EIO

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The diamond shape in midfield I think is the way to go, however it means the wing backs will play a very important role and the question is do we have proper wing backs that will make this formation work because if not it will probably mean the difference of a top six finish or not.

We will find out over the next half a dozen games if Nigel sticks with it. Come on you Rams.

Don't you think you are being a bit hard on Keogh? He does his best.

His best won't be good enough for many. Same applies to Buxton. Fantasy Land thinking means that we should go out and spend £4-5 million on a couple of decent Central Defenders. I have no problem with that. Now, who has that £5m?

No? Keogh and Buxton it is then. In the absence of a Fairy Godmother/Sugar Daddy/ Foreign Takeover, they'll do for me.

Still unbeaten, I see... won't last but very pleased so far.

Clough Out.

Nonsense - he was faultless today.

Sorry, I didn't mean he's never 'quite good enough', I meant he's generally not good enough for where we're aiming to be. He can have some very good games, yea, and I love his passion and work ethis. But often his quality just isn't top-end Championship standard.

Sorry, I didn't mean he's never 'quite good enough', I meant he's generally not good enough for where we're aiming to be. He can have some very good games, yea, and I love his passion and work ethis. But often his quality just isn't top-end Championship standard.

But in my opinion, that is exactly the point. We don't need the 11 best players in the division, we need a blend. Buxton is not a liability, he provides a reliable level of performance, week in and week out. Is he the best centre back in the division - no. Hes probably not even in the top 15. Can we still be promoted with him in the side - absolutely. He would die for this side, is on relatively low wages, and does a job.

Having said that, would I like another quality cb - of course, but not if we have to sell will hughes to make it happen.

In the Non-League Nigel Clough days (no, not last week), Bucko was not considered to even be league 2 standard by some. He got into the side because

a. he was cheap

b. he was Clough's 'favourite'.

He was originally bought in as emergency cover (the 'Development' squad) but circumstances dictated that he was drafted into the side. 75 or so games later, he's a valued (by some) yet unappreciated (by others) member of the first team. 

Jake could play Colin Todd-like all season and he still wouldn't be good enough for some, because judgements have been made and minds made up. It's exactly the same with the manager - no matter what he does, he wasn't wanted by some, therefore he will never be the right man.

His best won't be good enough for many. Same applies to Buxton. Fantasy Land thinking means that we should go out and spend £4-5 million on a couple of decent Central Defenders. I have no problem with that. Now, who has that £5m?

No? Keogh and Buxton it is then. In the absence of a Fairy Godmother/Sugar Daddy/ Foreign Takeover, they'll do for me.

Still unbeaten, I see... won't last but very pleased so far.

Clough Out.

Obviously didn't go today then. Buxton and Keogh were immense and Buxton was getting a lot of praise from the fans. Made a good strike look incredibly average today.

Just back to base camp in Tunbridge Wells, really enjoyable day. Great performance, few wobbles and we rode our luck with a couple of things but there's no reason why we didn't deserve to win.

Thoughts:

Grant - 6. Solid, came for crosses well. Didnt have too much to do.

Forsyth - 6. Poor first half, solid in the second.

Keogh - 7. Him and Bucko were colossus in the final 30 minutes.

Buxton - 7. See above.

Freeman - 6. Thought he could have done better for their goal, picked up in the second half. His ball to Martin for the second goal was magnificent. Quality cross.

Bryson - 6. Everywhere, engine room etc.

Hendrick - 7. Thought he got stuck in well, steady performance.

Hughes - 6. Impressive first half, struggled in the second half against Auguestein and Ince's physicality.

Coutts - 8. Very good. Beat his man 9/10, good deliveries, worked hard. Good to see him back to this standard.

Russell - 6. Ineffective. Still settling in but needs to get move involved.

Martin - 9. My MOTM. Immense. Touch, ball retention, lay offs, finishing, holding it up... Can't speak more highly of him today. Looks three times the player we had on loan last year. Focal point to everything good. Keep it up!

Ward - 6. Ran well, killed time well. Unlucky not to score.

Eustace - 6. Broke up things well, standard.

Didnt really know what formation we were playing, looked so fluid. Hendrick seemed to be the anchorman and did well. Created plenty of chances, really positive and defended well. Nothing to be disappointed with, well done lads and Nige. Hope for more of the same, we're clearly capable.

You Rams!

Way to go Srg - if the team get a good result then just insult a player who didnt get on the pitch.

Though the b*****d set up our winner last game.

Have you got your knickers stuck up your crack or something?

He asked how Sammon must be feeling, and I defy anyone to say he deserves to be starting for us or anyone at this level currently.

Just back to base camp in Tunbridge Wells, really enjoyable day. Great performance, few wobbles and we rode our luck with a couple of things but there's no reason why we didn't deserve to win.

Thoughts:

Grant - 6. Solid, came for crosses well. Didnt have too much to do.

Forsyth - 6. Poor first half, solid in the second.

Keogh - 7. Him and Bucko were colossus in the final 30 minutes.

Buxton - 7. See above.

Freeman - 6. Thought he could have done better for their goal, picked up in the second half. His ball to Martin for the second goal was magnificent. Quality cross.

Bryson - 6. Everywhere, engine room etc.

Hendrick - 7. Thought he got stuck in well, steady performance.

Hughes - 6. Impressive first half, struggled in the second half against Auguestein and Ince's physicality.

Coutts - 8. Very good. Beat his man 9/10, good deliveries, worked hard. Good to see him back to this standard.

Russell - 6. Ineffective. Still settling in but needs to get move involved.

Martin - 9. My MOTM. Immense. Touch, ball retention, lay offs, finishing, holding it up... Can't speak more highly of him today. Looks three times the player we had on loan last year. Focal point to everything good. Keep it up!

Ward - 6. Ran well, killed time well. Unlucky not to score.

Eustace - 6. Broke up things well, standard.

Didnt really know what formation we were playing, looked so fluid. Hendrick seemed to be the anchorman and did well. Created plenty of chances, really positive and defended well. Nothing to be disappointed with, well done lads and Nige. Hope for more of the same, we're clearly capable.

You Rams!

Can't argue with much of that - but i'll try!

I agree freeman started slowly, but thought nothing got past him after about 20 minutes. His cross was sublime for the winner. I'm starting to believe we may not miss brayford as much as I feared (for the haters, you could also say the money on smith has been wasted, and we should have got a centre back instead!). He was worth an 8 I think, or at least a 7.

Grant did nothing wrong at all. Came and caught crosses, organises the players in front of him - a definite upgrade. Well worth a 7.

Jake would have been my man of the match if not for martins master class. He was the best centre back on the pitch - not bad when rubbing shoulders with matty upson - again worth an eight.

I think brighton looked toothless, and given ulloa and ince both looked very good, credit must go to the back four and hendrick in particular - now, can someone please tell me I am not going mad, and coutts did play on the right with hendrick dcm? Keep seeing coutts played dcm - can't decide whether its nonsense, or turning 40 makes you a bit addled!?

Archived