Brighton & Hove Albion v Derby County

-JW-

Really?

Wouldnt say we were attacking, thought the game was pretty even. Apart from the goals there was barely any clear cut chances. Dont think their keeper made a save all game. Our first goal was fortunate aswell.

Not a fan of the 4312, far to narrow, would much prefer to see Jacobs and Ward out there, more pace and width.

We were very organised and hard to break down, was a solid performance with Martin standing out whilst the rest were workmanlike.

Was far more impressed with the performance at Wolves last season.

Russell was dog **** as well, strikes me as one of those strikers where all hes going to offer is goals, if he isnt scoring hes not going to do much else.

Tbh I my view was through pint goggles.

But it was much better than that backs to the wall rigid banks of four that we usually have to sit through knowing that there's a chance we'll concede and no chance of scoring.

I enjoyed yesterday

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looked at the (slightly) extended highlights for their goal, it was just so avoidable before any cross came into the box.

Buxton in midfield plays it back to Keogh, who had time to keep the ball and pick a pass to Freeman or Forsyth but turned and passed it quickly to Grant, who in turn had time to control it and find a pass but instead chose to punt it downfield first time trying to find Martin on the half way line running back towards his own goal, it's a loose pass and is picked up by their player who plays a 1-2 and goes on to cross it for the goal.

All it would have taken was a bit of calmness and a little more movement in finding space and there'd have been no chance of conceding.

Often the case mate.

I like Grant and Forsyth looked alright last season but I'm not sure why they are so eager to punt. It comes back so quickly when it's late in the game and we're sat deeper.

Just watched Chris Martins interview, he looks thrilled, glad he's settling in well and playing good football.

Is it finally clicking? Has Nigel finally got a plan B?

Imagine...

Johnny and Chris bang goals in for a laugh, Jeffrey volleys in the unlucky rebounds, Coooouuuuts gets the odd rocket, then on comes Ward (65) when they're f*cked to knock more in.

Ahhhhhhhhh.

Tbh I my view was through pint goggles.

But it was much better than that backs to the wall rigid banks of four that we usually have to sit through knowing that there's a chance we'll concede and no chance of scoring.

I enjoyed yesterday

I had a great day, still feeling it now.

Just dont really think much has changed from last season in the way we approached playing away, we were just clinical in the few chances we had and restricted them well.

The same old frustrating tendencies were there, like putting every single man back for corners and free kicks, and time wasting with about 20-30 minutes left. 

Nigel was talking **** in the post match, 'we dominated for long spells', errrrr, no we didnt. Not that we were dominated which has been the case in the past, but they had spells and so did we. 

Really?

Wouldnt say we were attacking, thought the game was pretty even. Apart from the goals there was barely any clear cut chances. Dont think their keeper made a save all game. Our first goal was fortunate aswell.

Not a fan of the 4312, far to narrow, would much prefer to see Jacobs and Ward out there, more pace and width.

We were very organised and hard to break down, was a solid performance with Martin standing out whilst the rest were workmanlike.

Was far more impressed with the performance at Wolves last season.

Russell was dog **** as well, strikes me as one of those strikers where all hes going to offer is goals, if he isnt scoring hes not going to do much else.

Surely there was one semi-positive?

Just looked at the (slightly) extended highlights for their goal, it was just so avoidable before any cross came into the box.

Buxton in midfield plays it back to Keogh, who had time to keep the ball and pick a pass to Freeman or Forsyth but turned and passed it quickly to Grant, who in turn had time to control it and find a pass but instead chose to punt it downfield first time trying to find Martin on the half way line running back towards his own goal, it's a loose pass and is picked up by their player who plays a 1-2 and goes on to cross it for the goal.

All it would have taken was a bit of calmness and a little more movement in finding space and there'd have been no chance of conceding.

I'm sure you're right but we are going to concede goals - like every other team does. Human error will account for most. I think we should accept that and not have a Steward's Inquiry into every goal against us. Just keep hoping we score more at the other end.

I did mention some, Martin was quality, we were organised, well drilled and hard to break down, defensively sound. Thought Ward done well when he came on, Freeman was good as well. 

It was an even game with very few clear cut chances, dont think there's an awful lot to assess. 

I did mention some, Martin was quality, we were organised, well drilled and hard to break down, defensively sound. Thought Ward done well when he came on, Freeman was good as well. 

It was an even game with very few clear cut chances, dont think there's an awful lot to assess. 

I agree completely with you on that aspect - we were very solid in the middle of the park, and played a lot of good stuff. The only weakness (blatant) I saw was from not playing a rm and lm and they decided just to play diagonal balls into our box. According to their manager that was their 'creating chances' which bemused me, as I see it more as a 'void of ideas, how to attack' approach - I was always scared that one of them may come off, especially as Ulloa looked strong in the air! 

Brighton perspective:

Derby looked decent and well drilled to me, a settled side playing to a clear set of instructions and ended up playing far more of the football (which is painful for us to watch considering the the past couple of years). Admirable to see faith put in younger players, and they played some very fluid stuff at times - certainly their pace on break frightened me and made us look distinctly unorganized at the back. Hope to see us doing that to teams in the near future.

Chris Martin, btw - derided at Palace, but has always looked a very tidy footballer to me. What's the deal with him? 

:)

Chris Martin was just half a yard off the pace last season. We caught glimpses.

I've never been a Sammon fan because to me the sort of striker Sammon is billed as (an unselfish worker type) is exactly what Martin is.

All the "unseen work" that Sammon did imo was chase stuff. Which has its uses. But Martin is a team player. You can play off him.

Still like Sammon on the bench. His energy is handy. But Martin is the same breed but a better player. What he does is what Sammon should have done.

The only question mark against Martin (I'm a big fan if him if you hadn't noticed) is that he doesn't lose that half a yard again. He LOOKS like he might be a player that needs a bit more attention than someone like Bryson who you know will be ready and available at 100% for the majority of games.

Dunno Alpha, we came out looking like we wanted it, and even after we conceded, our patience and style didn't change at all. Only speaking from the first 30 so far.

Also noticing how much attention Brighton are paying to keeping Russell out of the game...

Great weekend for the Aberdeenshire Rams.

Nice ground, tidy comfy seats, and the Aberdeenshire Rams still can't belive they where just finishing off their ale in the back of the stand, when our winning goal was scored!

But who cares, saw the goal on Sky TV in the concourse straight after the game and a few times since. 

I can also see 2tups and myself in the stand when Brighton score.

Great day, great night out followed on Brighton beach, enjoying some celebration drinks, to the sounds of a couple of cover bands that included The Smiths and The Undertones.

3 points, happy days. Up The Rams.

Archived