How much better is this seasons team than last seasons

Curtains

One thing I'm expecting is for our midfield being better this season. Young players have developed somewhat and have now one season playing together behind them. That should help. The 2 million from Brayford need to go to defence quickly and accurately.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I'm expecting is for our midfield being better this season. Young players have developed somewhat and have now one season playing together behind them. That should help. The 2 million from Brayford need to go to defence quickly and accurately.

Agree.

Expect to see Hendrick bossing games this season. Hopefully relieve a bit of pressure on defence.

We may have improved in the squad but I cant see anything but another season finishing in Jan.

It is clough who for me is going to be key this season in where we finish, I dont think we will have the luxury of such a tight league this year.

Stating the obvious but our away form is going to be key, looking forward to being proved wrong though.

When Frank was signed most fans liked him. We have a weak defence now Keogh apart. I await In comings. PS Where do Theo Ledz Tyson Doyle Oconnor and Bailey fit in. I read Cloughie has defensive targets until we get them yes I'm underwhelmed.

I reckon NC must be desperate to offload some of his old aquisitions , but it seems no-one wants them.... and with our budget 'issues' it may hamper his plans and limit what he can bring in, unless he plans on using some of the money from Brayford to use on loan wages, and try to balance the books that way ? Either way it will be interesting to see what Monday ( and the rest of the next couple of weeks)  brings in terms of announcements....... If we do bring in Spence or Smith, and then Christie or who-ever (Lowry?)

I will feel a lot more positive. Atm i dont see a top 6 finnish, top 12 more like, not being negative but looking at others in the league i dont feel as positive as some. But all that can change depending on who we bring in ?

So, lets see what tomorrow brings........

Team isn't much better, it may improve, but the major risk is that it's another season of mid table and the likes of Hughes and Hendrick decide next year to try their luck at a higher level and we have to start all over again.

I've only seen one pre-season, which was yesterday, and didn't see a whole lot to excite me or suggest we're going to do better than last season.

It may be a mental thing rather than anything else. We will get a much better idea once we see how we approach away games this season and how we tackle those sticky patches.

I saw Buxton misplace one pass yesterday.

Where is this 'passing was abysmal' nonsense coming from? Have people developed a hive mentality?

Alas the realist in me, just can not help thinking that this season, will just be a another mid table finish...

Defence is soft & now even weaker without Brayford, although the signing of Grant may help to organise it better..

Midfield is quality for this division, but if things do not go well this season I can see our young midfield stars moving on.

Attack will depend a great deal on whether Sammon can find his scoring boots & if our latest lucky dip signing Russell can make the step up..There's a marked difference in the Championship an the SPL, an as a result we often see attackers from the SPL looking out of their league at this level, unable to make the step up...Mcguire & Porter spring to mind..Just have to hope that Russell is different.

Overall the summer signings & loss of Brayford have left me a less optimistic than I thought I would be, following Rush's comments on the pub tour..The list of players being bandied about earlier in the summer, Vaughn, Baptiste, Burke etc has certainly been watered down in terms of the actual quality signings we have made in my opinion...

Still the optimist in me still thinks Nigel knows what he is doing & surely the club can not afford another season of mid table mediocrity, so this will be the year of the Ram & that I am just still feeling the aftermath of negativity following Brayfords departure.

Up the Rams 

I saw him misplace two.

I also saw Hughes misplace about 4, Russell misplace about 3, Hendrick misplace about 6... and various other players struggle to make simple passes and make poor decisions in which pass to make... picking out Buxton's passing yesterday for criticism does seem rather odd to me.

My thoughts entirely. Extremely dodgy defence yesterday Keogh and Grant apart. Freeman's not ready and Bucko well he turns like a 10 ton truck and his forward passing and positional play is abysmal enough said as he's a nice guy. Forsyth needs time.

I'm afraid our season rather rests on the next few days when we find out who the two new defenders are. If they are budget Charlies than we are doomed. If we find some quality to support Keogh and Forsyth then we might just get the 0-0s and 1-0s we need away from home this season.

Still think we need a new defensive coach!

My thoughts entirely. Extremely dodgy defence yesterday Keogh and Grant apart. Freeman's not ready and Bucko well he turns like a 10 ton truck and his forward passing and positional play is abysmal enough said as he's a nice guy. Forsyth needs time.

Good job we are getting a RB and a CB then by the sounds of it. Although they were up against a class set of opponents

Russell is better than any of our current crop of strikers.

Will Hughes more experienced under his belt

Hendrick likewise

Bryson hitting his peak

Grant meh..

Forsyth meh..

Ward isn't the same player

Keogh will be better having been here a year

Buxton realistically not good enough for a top six side

Overal I'd consider it somewhat better, just worries me that Ward looks dire in all the games if seen thus far. Maybe time to give Jacobs a proper opportunity in the eleven? Grant is a good keeper, but nothing to write home about. Dunno if he's on a lower wage than Fielding, I doubt it somehow so don't understand the moral in that move other than that famous word "experience". Still convinced Fielding will be a better keeper in the course of the next three years...

Hope we don't go back to relying on loanees again.

Russell is better than any of our current crop of strikers.

Will Hughes more experienced under his belt

Hendrick likewise

Bryson hitting his peak

Grant meh..

Forsyth meh..

Ward isn't the same player

Keogh will be better having been here a year

Buxton realistically not good enough for a top six side

Overal I'd consider it somewhat better, just worries me that Ward looks dire in all the games if seen thus far. Maybe time to give Jacobs a proper opportunity in the eleven? Grant is a good keeper, but nothing to write home about. Dunno if he's on a lower wage than Fielding, I doubt it somehow so don't understand the moral in that move other than that famous word "experience". Still convinced Fielding will be a better keeper in the course of the next three years...

Hope we don't go back to relying on loanees again.

I thought Ward and Martin were our best players vs Burton. Ward provided so much attacking impetus

Grant > Lego

Brayford > Freeman

Keogh = Keogh

Buxton = Buxton

Roberts = Forsyth

Coutts = Coutts

Hughes = Hughes

Hendrick\Bryson = Hendrick/Bryson

Ward = Ward

Martin > Sammon

Russell > Robinson

So

7 positions are of the same standard

1 Position is worse

3 Positions are better

However with the new RB and CB it could be

4 Positions better

7 Positions same

But what does go unnoticed is the bench improvement and therefore the squad overall.

Bench - Fielding Gjokak Freeman Hoganson Jacobs Davies Tyson

New Bench - Deeney Gjokak Hoganson Jacobs Sammon Davies Hendrick/Bryson

We are going to be better at defending set pieces. Our attack/strike force is more consistent and reliable. The younger players are obviously still progressing and improving. We now have the experienced defensive midfielder. I would just like a new CB and a RB to battle for the position with Freeman. We get the two defenders in and I think we will make the play offs. More importantly I hope we sign someone in January to give us that extra push, when needed. 

Derby have got to move on all the players that are not needed/wanted. Could be the difference between signing two quality players in January and getting no-one. 

How so we know if it's any better? None of us have a clue, really since the end of last season we have lost Bradford and brought grant and Russell in, the others were already playing here and they didn't really improve us massively then. we are not that different really. All this the are a season on rubbish, well Watford proved you can throw team together and be consistent.

This season's team could be better than last season's team and still manage to finish lower.. And vice versa

Those that think we have a 'good enough' or 'quality' midfield are also way off the mark IMO.. We have 3 solid CM's, a weak RM and a LM whose injured alot..

That midfield got bullied and overrun so much last season away from home I wouldn't say it's particularly outstanding and not even top 6 material..

This season's team could be better than last season's team and still manage to finish lower.. And vice versa

Those that think we have a 'good enough' or 'quality' midfield are also way off the mark IMO.. We have 3 solid CM's, a weak RM and a LM whose injured alot..

That midfield got bullied and overrun so much last season away from home I wouldn't say it's particularly outstanding and not even top 6 material..

That is simply not true. What really happened is that the midfield was rarely overrun and bullied last season, we kept possession well even away from home as the possession stats show. Our problems were more about silly goals being given away at one end because neither goalkeeper took control of their area, and at the other end not taking chances.

Archived