How much better is this seasons team than last seasons

Curtains

I'm amazed how many people think Russell is some kind of god. He may turn out to be but he comes from Scottish football, don't people remember Pearson, Malcolm, miller, maguire, porter. He can't get into that dreadful Scottish squad who are crying out for anything decent. The champ is a different level of football totally. Talk about getting excited.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm amazed how many people think Russell is some kind of god. He may turn out to be but he comes from Scottish football, don't people remember Pearson, Malcolm, miller, maguire, porter. He can't get into that dreadful Scottish squad who are crying out for anything decent. The champ is a different level of football totally. Talk about getting excited.

If you posted one or two low-beat posts a day and rested at that, no-one would mind, but every day is a rainy one as far as you are concerned. I'll definitely get excited - if you are the alternative.

2009-10

Bywater

A series of fkn loans at Rb

Moxey

Savage

Barker

Leacock

Croft

Green

Commons

Hulse

Teale

Predicted 13th

Actual 14th

2010-11

Bywater

Brayford

Roberts

Bailey

Savage

Barker

Leacock

Cywka

Bueno

Commons

A series of fkn loans up front

Predicted 11th

Actual 19th

2011-12

Fielding

Brayford

Roberts

Hendrick

Barker

Shackell

Davies

Bryson

Robinson

Tyson

Ward

Predicted 13th

Actual 12th

2012-13

Fielding

Brayford

Roberts

Hendrick

Keogh

Buxton

Coutts

Bryson

Sammon

Ward

Hughes

Predicted 13th

Actual 10th

2013-14

Grant

Smith

Forsyth

Keogh

Buxton

Coutts

Bryson

Hughes

Martin

Russell

Ward

Predicted 10th

Actual?

If you posted one or two low-beat posts a day and rested at that, no-one would mind, but every day is a rainy one as far as you are concerned. I'll definitely get excited - if you are the alternative.

I'm looking forward to the season as always with optimism but he is getting so built up its unreal. There are so many wonderful players up there that don't cut it down here. It's called realism.

We all hope the team clicks and we get up near the top few but a player from Dundee and a new keeper is pretty much the only difference from the team that finished last season so sorry I'm not thinking we are going to run away with the league.

Who's the left back with some pace?

Forsyth, but to be fair Freeman can play there too.

Note I said some pace. I'm comparing to last season when we had Roberts who, for all his qualities, had no pace. Will be nice to not need Bryson on the left to provide cover.

I think what could also be key this year is how much improvement we will get from those players who have stayed. Will Hughes of 13/14 be significantly improved over the 12/13 version? Similarly Hendrick? If the answers to those questions are yes, we could have a much better season.

New to the forum here guys, ST holder in South Stand, Rams fan all my life (26).

I'm not sure why people are being so negative about Derby this season. I thought last season we looked to have taken a forward step and I fail to see how the signings we have made so far are in any way a backwards step. The loss of Brayford is huge for us but he is replaceable and with the signing of Adam Smith I now think our defence isn't that bad. People seem to have something against Jake Buxton but I rate the man, he's an old fasioned CB who will put his head where it hurts both defensively and to score a goal or two. We will also see Barker back in a Derby shirt before the seasons out (Excluding unforeseen circumstances) and together with Keogh those two will be solid.

I can't see us finishing top 6 but it will certainly be an improvement on last season. 7th or 8th maybe. I do think we'll spend a decent amount of time in the play offs however.

My ideal lineup would be:

Grant

Smith                        Keogh                                     Buxton                                          Forsyth
              Hendrick                     Bryson                                    Hughes                                          Ward
                                                              Martin

Russell.

Coutts inclusion in a starting 11 would depend entirely on him hitting form similar to what he had in the early stages of last season. He was disappointing towards the end. I'd like to see Russell play forward of Martin, not side by side. Martin is a strong guy and I think it'll be a good role for him to sit behind Russell, pick the ball up and provide Russell something to smash home.

I concure with what others have said, and improvement on last season and i'm happy. Anything more and i'll be ecstatic.

Adam

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Coutts but I still think his form has dropped and he has not fully regained it. The Coutts from early 12/13 was a great player, especially when he and Brayford used each other on the overlap, defences couldn't handle it!

The way I see it is, that last season we had a good starting 11, but a terrible bench excluding maybe 1-2, and they were often playing with the injury's to certain players. 

But look at the bench for this season, so much more choice for game changers/resting players/cover etc

I think Hendrick is vital to the team and was the best player for the second half of last season... I wonder if Nigel has considered a diamond formation

Grant

Smith             Keogh                        Buxton          Forsyth 

Eustance

Hendrick                           bryson

Hughes

Russell           Martin 

I think Hendrick is vital to the team and was the best player for the second half of last season... I wonder if Nigel has considered a diamond formation

Grant

Smith Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Eustance

Hendrick bryson

Hughes

Russell Martin

I hate to sound like I'm trying to cut you down with what you want to see, but I think 4 CM's like we saw early on with Clough would be just as horrendous now as it was then, so narrow and rigid it'd be poor to watch. Solid, but too poor for my liking.

I'm out.

I hate to sound like I'm trying to cut you down with what you want to see, but I think 4 CM's like we saw early on with Clough would be just as horrendous now as it was then, so narrow and rigid it'd be poor to watch. Solid, but too poor for my liking.

I'm out.

so polite ;) but we haven't got the wingers to play 4-4-2 imo.

so polite ;) but we haven't got the wingers to play 4-4-2 imo.

For me it's about having a bit of variety to the midfield and playing players in positions they feel more comfortable (Coutts aside perhaps)

I think the diamond formation you put forward looks lovely on paper but I think the reality would be that the 4 CMs were too narrow, tried to do very similar things and got in each other's way. I think 4-4-2 with Coutts/Davies and Ward/Jacobs gives us a bit more variety, whilst also allowing the CMs to concentrate on their roles. Doesn't really matter for me that we don't have the best wingers in the world, the point is that more often than not they stay wide, which gives more options and a better shape to the side.

I'd honestly rather play two of Hendrick/Hughes/Bryson/Eustace and two of Jacobs/Ward/Coutts/Davies than 3 of one, 1 of another. I think Clough is tempted, too often, to play what he thinks are his best players rather than the best (most balanced) line-up. I don't blame him for the temptation but I'd be happier if he mostly played players in their more natural positions. At times he's had little choice but we've got better strength in depth and more options than ever in his tenure, so hopefully he'll find the right balance.

I'm out.

I've heard there's a new formation on the mini bus. Could be a bit narrow and rigid, and solid. #ITK ;)

Archived