How much better is this seasons team than last seasons

Curtains

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think adamD and Rodley Ram both make excellent cases with their formations. It's about setting a balance between creating the best chances of scoring for Martin/Sammon and Russell and in defending our own goal. Rodley Ram's plan, used a lot last year should give us better service from the wings. adamD's formation makes us solid through the middle both ways but perhaps easier to defend against. 

I am not sure we have good enough players out wide. Ward plays in his own bubble, Coutts makes poor choices and Jacobs hasn't adapted to Championship football so far. However, we do have in Forsyth and Smith, two players who can cross a ball. Let's hope their work this year can lead us to success. It will be tough - there are some strong teams in the league this year!

I'm looking forward to the season as always with optimism but he is getting so built up its unreal. There are so many wonderful players up there that don't cut it down here. It's called realism.

We all hope the team clicks and we get up near the top few but a player from Dundee and a new keeper is pretty much the only difference from the team that finished last season so sorry I'm not thinking we are going to run away with the league.

Maybe they are basing it on what they have seen of him in pre-season.

New to the forum here guys, ST holder in South Stand, Rams fan all my life (26).

I'm not sure why people are being so negative about Derby this season. I thought last season we looked to have taken a forward step and I fail to see how the signings we have made so far are in any way a backwards step. The loss of Brayford is huge for us but he is replaceable and with the signing of Adam Smith I now think our defence isn't that bad. People seem to have something against Jake Buxton but I rate the man, he's an old fasioned CB who will put his head where it hurts both defensively and to score a goal or two. We will also see Barker back in a Derby shirt before the seasons out (Excluding unforeseen circumstances) and together with Keogh those two will be solid.

I can't see us finishing top 6 but it will certainly be an improvement on last season. 7th or 8th maybe. I do think we'll spend a decent amount of time in the play offs however.

My ideal lineup would be:

Grant

Smith                        Keogh                                     Buxton                                          Forsyth

Hendrick                     Bryson                                    Hughes                                          Ward

Martin

Russell.

Coutts inclusion in a starting 11 would depend entirely on him hitting form similar to what he had in the early stages of last season. He was disappointing towards the end. I'd like to see Russell play forward of Martin, not side by side. Martin is a strong guy and I think it'll be a good role for him to sit behind Russell, pick the ball up and provide Russell something to smash home.

I concure with what others have said, and improvement on last season and i'm happy. Anything more and i'll be ecstatic.

Adam

Really don't know why people are insisting on either Hendrick or Bryson out wide. It's shocking. They can't play there and the balance of the side suffers as a result.

Worst criticism of Nigel is putting square pegs in round holes, just to fit players in the team. It simply wrecks the whole shape of the team and the flow of the attack.

The selection of Hendrick out wide represents the faith I currently have in our wide players. I know people will disagree but I just don't think Coutts is playing very well at the moment, and Jacobs still isn't hitting the levels he needs to.

In fact, i'd rather see Ben Davies playing down the right than either of those two. You know to some extent what you're getting from him.

We don't play with old fashioned wingers as such. Fullbacks these days where possible carry out this role.Our threat, considerable as it was, came from the Brayford/Coutts combo. Coutts made himself available, retained possession superbly, sucked players in then laid off to Brayford bombing forward. If Smith & Coutts can click together (listening to Smiths attacking/crossing skills from Spuds people) they could well be even better than the Brayford combo. The point being though - Don't underestimate the role of Paul Coutts in all this. A very tidy skilful player. Good feet.

I'm pretty sure I remember NC mentioning that Ward would play on the left hand side and to balance it up playing Hendrick on the right in the WBA post match interview so I reckon AdamRamBez's team and formation will be the one starting on Sunday.

Whether this is the right formation or not is up for discussion but at the end of the day, we have to give NC the benefit of the doubt as he sees the lads train week in week out.

IMO, I'm in agreement with a few of you who disagree with playing Hendrick out wide. He's naturally a central midfield player and will drift inside (i'd imagine) at most opportunites. For me, he's not the kind of player who can take a man on and produce a decent cross 7 times out of 10 although he would be able to play the little one twos with Smith that Coutts and Brayford did so well last year.

I'm just hoping that Smith has the ability to cope with the increased amount of pressure he's likely to recieve when Hendrick plays on the right as I'd imagine its an area of the pitch in which other teams will try and exploit.

I think Hendrick is vital to the team and was the best player for the second half of last season... I wonder if Nigel has considered a diamond formation

He trialed it in one of the pre-season games (can't remember which) with Wardy in the hole behind the front 2...

We don't play with old fashioned wingers as such. Fullbacks these days where possible carry out this role.Our threat, considerable as it was, came from the Brayford/Coutts combo. Coutts made himself available, retained possession superbly, sucked players in then laid off to Brayford bombing forward. If Smith & Coutts can click together (listening to Smiths attacking/crossing skills from Spuds people) they could well be even better than the Brayford combo. The point being though - Don't underestimate the role of Paul Coutts in all this. A very tidy skilful player. Good feet.

I agree that from what Spurs fans have said, Smith should be able to provide similar support to Coutts that Brayford did...

This will be the team:

.......................................Grant.......................................

Smith....................Keogh..................Buxton.............Forsyth

.............Coutts..........Bryson..........Hughes..............Ward....

......................Martin.....................Russell...........................

Bench: Deeney...Hendrick...Sammon...Davies...Eustace....Gjokaj...Freeman

This will be the team:

.......................................Grant.......................................

Smith....................Keogh..................Buxton.............Forsyth

.............Coutts..........Bryson..........Hughes..............Ward....

......................Martin.....................Russell...........................

Bench: Deeney...Hendrick...Sammon...Davies...Eustace....Gjokaj...Freeman

No place for Jacobs on the bench?

Not easy this picking the team/18. Yes Jacobs must be on the bench. Lets replace Freeman with him as Gjokaj can cover full back at a push, as can Davies.

Only one defender on the bench? :unsure:

Edit - only joking, it's a tough call! Strength in depth will be our downfall I tell thee!

Clough will set us up as a 4-4-2 HOWEVER I can see 4-2-3-1 making a comeback due to the players movement.

Martin will come deep in to the hole, the right midfielder will naturally tuck inside as a result of them them being played out of position and Ward will cut inside, thus you have the 3. Then Hughes naturally sits deep and whoever partners him would probably stay close to him to try and pick up the ball.

Possibly 4-3-3.

-------------------------------Grant---------------------------------

Smith-----------------Buxton--------Keogh-------------Forsyth

------------------Hughes----Hendrick---Bryson-----------------

Coutts--------------------------------------------------------Ward

------------------------------Russell--------------------------------

I would rule out 433 as Clough has said it doesn't work very well.

I think Coutts will play and in a 442 so Hendrick won't play for me.

Grant

Smith Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Coutts Hughes Bryson Ward

Russell Martin

Subs Legzdins Eustace Freeman Jacobs Davies Sammon Hendrick

Archived