How much better is this seasons team than last seasons

Curtains

Attack looks stronger. Midfield should be stronger. Eustace provides some beef and experience which was lacking. Coutts needs to form a good partnership with Smith though. Initially right midfield has weakened with Brayford going. Defence has weakened. Brayford was our best defender and Mr reliable. Huge loss. Grant should be an improvement. We need to keep Legzdins. Deeney is nowhere near good enough to play at this level.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Attack looks stronger. Midfield should be stronger. Eustace provides some beef and experience which was lacking. Coutts needs to form a good partnership with Smith though. Initially right midfield has weakened with Brayford going. Defence has weakened. Brayford was our best defender and Mr reliable. Huge loss. Grant should be an improvement. We need to keep Legzdins. Deeney is nowhere near good enough to play at this level.

I don't actually think Brayford was our best defender. He was OK in defence but his strength was what he offered going forward. Purely from what I have heard from Spuds Smith is also very good going forward and no slouch in defence. He could actually turn out to be better. If that is the case we are weaker only in the event of needing cover.

Like everyone however I would like to see another million pound defender arrive with all three (Keogh-Buxton-New man) fighting it out for the centre back positions. That would make us stronger and we appear to have the opportunity.

Other than that, with the apparent emergence of lean strong Martin, a much better keeper a new decent striker in Russell, the readiness of Jacobs to step up a bit, we are looking really strong imo.

It's not changed massively has it?

Subtle changes mostly. I expect Nigel to push harder that's all. Be more reckless. Take risks.

If he does that and we finish in the top 6 then (I know this sounds like I'm being a moaner) but I think we could have done as much last year.

The strike force is a bit better.

Fitter Martin

Russell has a better touch than two of our strikers who liked to shin out a few throw ins.

Bennett getting closer.

But overall I think it's similar.

I hope and believe the approach will be more aggressive though.

UTR

Just made up the Sporting Life prediction table...

1 Reading

2 Bolton

3 Wigan (play off winners)

4 Derby

5 Forest

6 QPR

7 Watford

8 Leicester

9 Blackburn

10 Leeds

11 Brighton

12 Charlton

13 Barnsley

14 Ipswich

15 Boro

16 Millwall

17 Bournemouth

18 Huddersfield

19 Burnley

20 Birmingham

21 Sheffield Wed

22 Yeovil

23 Blackpool

24 Doncaster

They have us down for 4th?

Won't happen, I've read Bris's posts and he's beat the bookies for thousands which shows they know nothing

That's Skybet's predictions... not the odds they're offering... the odds have QPR as favourites for the league...

I thought 3rd played 5th and 4th plays 6th.

If Wigan are to win the play offs that means they would play either us or QPR at Wembley.

T shirts printed for the semi final maybe?

No, it's 3rd vs 6th.

Paddy power have us at 20/1 to win it and 7/1 to be promoted, relegation at 11/1

On a scale on 1 to 10 how nice is it to have better odds for promotion than relegation?!?!?!

Think this may be the season we break Bris' heart and get more wins than losses...

Just had a quick tot-up, this is the 7th or 8th best squad in the 20 years I've been watching (in my opinion, of course).

Compared to last season - we have a goalscorer, a pair of testicles in midfield and a LB with some pace. Who knows how Freeman and Smith will turn out but if they're good, I'd say we're alot better off than last year.

Just had a quick tot-up, this is the 7th or 8th best squad in the 20 years I've been watching (in my opinion, of course).

Compared to last season - we have a goalscorer, a pair of testicles in midfield and a LB with some pace. Who knows how Freeman and Smith will turn out but if they're good, I'd say we're alot better off than last year.

And a reassuring keeper... Legz always had me a little worried, and whilst Frankie made me feel more secure I always thought he was a bit short...

Who's the left back with some pace?

Archived