2013 Ashes Series

froggg

The more I think about it, despite the fact that Monty always bowls brilliantly at Old Trafford, I cannot see England playing two spinners. Old Trafford is usually pacey and with appreciable bounce - which suits Broad, Tremlett and Swann - often abrasive - which suits Bresnan's reverse swing, and of course it's a cricket ground, which means that Jimmy is going to be his usual brilliant self.

Anderson picks himself, so does Broad, so does Swanny - and that in my mind means a toss-up between Bresnan and Tremlett.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already got my money on a draw here. Heavy rain predicted Sat, Sun & Mon (I'm there Sat - joy) & with Manchester's infamously wet climate, I'll be surprised if we see 4 innings.

I can't see the Aussies being that bad to lose a match likely to be this disrupted.

Already got my money on a draw here. Heavy rain predicted Sat, Sun & Mon (I'm there Sat - joy) & with Manchester's infamously wet climate, I'll be surprised if we see 4 innings.

I can't see the Aussies being that bad to lose a match likely to be this disrupted.

bugger that's why they drew me in with the 4-1 odds for the 5-0 :(

The Aussie have every right to be peed off about the 2nd wicket. The technology showed it wasn't out, and it somehow wasn't overturned. Everyone in the crowd knew he wasn't out, apart from the 3rd umpire?

I know if that was me, I'd be peed off.

But what goes around comes around, England will get a bad one.

My suspicion is that Hotspot isn't working properly at all, but it's more than that - the general standard of umpiring in this series is the worst I've seen since the days of Ashocker Da Silva and before that, Shakoor Rana. As well as the DRS farce, the not out LBW decision of Smith off Broad was an utter joke, striking him in front of middle and off, and the ball going on to hit middle stump half way up. 

That's the problem when the best umpires available are ranked 11 and below in the world (behind 4 Aussie and 4 English elite umpires, Simon Taufel and Billy Bowden). These jokers are not even county standard.

We apparently live in a universe where the same ball can be both out and not out. Cricket as quantum entanglement.

We need Erwin Schrodinger to umpire the next test.

His bloody cat could do better than these sodding umpires.

Australia 303-3. End of day 1. England no reviews left will feel hard done by over Smith LBW off Broad clearly out.

Clearly edged it earlier too - knocked the bloody cover off the ball. Whether the temperature is affecting Hotspot I don't know. Perhaps the idiots haven't plugged it in.

Well he would have been out with or without the DRS if it's any consolation, as he was given out on the field.

There was a couple of other bad ones, as have been mentioned.

All in all, Australia's day.

303-3, Clarke and Smith at the crease with Warner still to come. England are really going to want to get rid of Warner as soon as he comes out, as if he gets going he could very quickly take the game away from them. Not that there's much risk of Australia turning the series around and returning home with the Ashes, but England will surely still be wanting to wrap the series up in this third test.

Archived