2013 Ashes Series

froggg

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff by England...we kept our heads to get that opening breakthrough

People have such short memories - this Aussie team might not be a great one but our squad is far better than it used to be in the gloomy 90s but the current individuals still get harshly criticised when they do fail. Most of these players will go down in history as some of our best ever.

The way we judge sport nowadays (and entertainment for that matter) so quickly saddens me - short sighted reactions.

Hey, I've had a laugh on this thread, but I think the Aussies did well, it was closer than the eventual result will look.

Well done, a great effort.

I'm looking forward to the return test, and I don't really follow cricket , but love the Ashes.

I defo think they're going to be really up (and even more competitive) for the away series

I always enjoy trouncing the Aussies after all that has gone on before but it's also because I respect their competitive spirit so much, that it means alot to beat them. You know that unlike some countries in some sports, they don't give anything less than 100% all the time regardless of what talent they may possess at the time.

We need to sort the openers out. Think I'd bring Compton back for the return series. Barring one innings, Root hasn't worked there at all. Solid foundation for the likes of Trott, KP and Bell to come in on, not really had that in this series. 

Still think if the batsmen get their act together then it'll be another comfortable win down under. The best chance the Aussies have is us just not showing up.

Hmm if we were facing lesser opposition this winter, i'd let Root carry on as opener and find his feet...I probably still would leave him there but of course Bairstow's form makes it easy to slot Root down the order again (although I like James Taylor).

Trott has been the most frustrating this summer - he has played some very classy stuff but keeps getting out to uncharacteristic shots (plus the odd bit of bad luck) - a big score can't be far away I'd hope.

The captaincy has probably took its toll (for once) on Cook's batting this summer - too good to not come back though with some big scores of his own.

Sir Matty Prior has saved us so many times that his run of bad form can also be excused and it's hopefully temporary.

Very pleased that Broad is becoming more consistent with the bat. He's never going to be consistent with the ball, as he's that type of bowler but these couple of tests whilst Jimmy has been abit out of sorts (real rarity nowadays), Broad has stepped up well. Him and KP can be tricky to like sometimes but they are inspirational game changers.

And poor Graham Onions, he doesn't play in this test and injures his finger playing for Durham instead, whilst Bresnan adds a valuable 40-odd.

I think Anderson was tired and shagged out after leading the attack in the third test. 

Broad really does like sticking it to the Aussies. I guess his mum must have accidentally given him vegemite instead of marmite on his toast soldiers once when he was a nipper.

Quality-wise, this series probably wasn't as strong as some. The batting has been poor on both sides, not helped by DRS. There doesn't seem to be much room for 'benefit of the doubt' anymore and scores will tend to be lower, but the influence of the mass market one day focus is also evident in poor shot selection. 

I don't think Root is quite ready as a test opener but certainly deserves his place in the side and I remain unconvinced by Bairstow's test credentials. I think Chopra is unlucky not to have been given a go.

Australia certainly didn't get the rub of the green yesterday or indeed over the series, but I thought Shane Warne over-egged his thoughts on the unfairness of the umpiring.

The Aussies have been second best because one or two of their batsmen crumbled under pressure.

I would love to be in a position to watch the return over there. I think they will be happier with the ball coming on to the bat and that we will have to up our game to match them. The one thing we have seen from England is their ability to hang in there when all looks bleak and this will help them win again.

Quality-wise, this series probably wasn't as strong as some. The batting has been poor on both sides, not helped by DRS. There doesn't seem to be much room for 'benefit of the doubt' anymore and scores will tend to be lower, but the influence of the mass market one day focus is also evident in poor shot selection. 

I don't think Root is quite ready as a test opener but certainly deserves his place in the side and I remain unconvinced by Bairstow's test credentials. I think Chopra is unlucky not to have been given a go.

Australia certainly didn't get the rub of the green yesterday or indeed over the series, but I thought Shane Warne over-egged his thoughts on the unfairness of the umpiring.

The Aussies have been second best because one or two of their batsmen crumbled under pressure.

I would love to be in a position to watch the return over there. I think they will be happier with the ball coming on to the bat and that we will have to up our game to match them. The one thing we have seen from England is their ability to hang in there when all looks bleak and this will help them win again.

Yeah, if their best quicks can stay fit, they'll be looking to rough us up. They'll certainly want to choose pitches that limit Swann's effectiveness.

Their batsman may play better but so might ours overall - KP usually revels in Aussie conditions.

Archived