Underrated/unknown Films

sage

Brick

Debut film from Rian Johnson (Star Wars Sequels), starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

From Wiki:

The film's narrative centers on a hardboiled detective story set in a Californian suburb. Most of the main characters are high school students. The film draws heavily in plot, characterization, and dialogue from hardboiled classics, especially those by Dashiell Hammett. The title refers to a block of heroin, compressed roughly to the size and shape of a brick.

The film won the Special Jury Prize for Originality of Vision at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival,and received positive reviews from critics. It has come to be regarded as a cult classic.

The dialogue is riddled with slang which is never explained, but can be drawn from context. I love this film, recommend it to everyone. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another couple of films worth mentioning, both Aussie.

Wolf Creek - about 3 backpackers in the outback who come across a rather unpleasant chap on their travels.

The Club - 1980 classic about the inside workings of an aussie rules team. Very tounge in cheek but probobly what most boardrooms and changing rooms were like back then. Its also got a catchy theme tune at the end that some people might recognise. 

Just now, CWC1983 said:

Another couple of films worth mentioning, both Aussie.

Wolf Creek - about 3 backpackers in the outback who come across a rather unpleasant chap on their travels.

The Club - 1980 classic about the inside workings of an aussie rules team. Very tounge in cheek but probobly what most boardrooms and changing rooms were like back then. Its also got a catchy theme tune at the end that some people might recognise. 

Love wolf creek, there's now a bt series based on the idea as well. Not sure the channel buts it's available on sky box sets

The Lobster

Also, 

18 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Attack of the killer tomatoes... Clooney's finest hour.

You're sending people to their deaths. 

It's Return of the Killer Tomatoes you're thinking of. The Sequel.

Attack of the Killer tomatoes has one half-good joke in it.

17 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

I was actually an extra in that film and my claim to fame! Randomly selected as a teen while passing by trafalgar sqr at 1am for the mass gathering scene with masks.  

Absolute favourites:

Bubble Boy

Pie

The Cube

Memento 

City of God

Amores Perros 

Tootsie

Amores Perros gets another vote from me! Strange one to follow, with the different threads, but brilliantly made. 

4 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Just remembered Closer. That film was really tough to watch. Awful people just being crappy to each other and breaking each others hearts. I felt depressed for weeks afterwards. A film has to be good to achieve that

Might be good but I'm sure as **** not watching it now :lol:

47 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

If that's the 2016 one with Joely Richardson, then no. 

Just been checking it out, and very hard to find any positive reviews at all. 

Or is it an older film you are talking about? 

No, Denzel Washington film. Watch it tonight... Amazing.

p20470_p_v8_aa.jpg

2 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

Brick

Debut film from Rian Johnson (Star Wars Sequels), starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

From Wiki:

The dialogue is riddled with slang which is never explained, but can be drawn from context. I love this film, recommend it to everyone. 

The inconsistencies in the dialogue are deliberate and come from juxtaposing traditional noire tropes and speech patterns with a contemporary high school setting. It can be jarring if you haven't seen much traditional noire, but as you said, the meaning can easily be derived from context.

I'd recommend Dead Man's Shoes. It's a revenge thriller set in a fictional small town, but mostly filmed in and around Matlock. Paddy Considine is fantastic as the lead and it's directed by Shane Meadows (This Is England). Normally the genre "revenge thriller" would be enough to put me off entirely, but this is altogether a more thoughtful and considered take on the genre than the usual hack and slash gore fest. It's very funny in places and has a great soundtrack too.

I'd also highly recommend Elite Squad and its sequel. Both are Brazilian action films that explore the inherent corruption in Brazilian society from the government, to the police, to activist organisations. The films offer good characterisation, fantastic action sequences, and intricate plots. They do a fantastic job of skewering both sides of the political spectrum, highlighting both the "progressive" hypocrisy of the upper middle class and unprincipled power politics and callousness of the police and the government.

Gregory's Girl - classic 80s school film before Clare Grogan and John Gorden Sinclair became famous. 

Sunshine on Leith - feel good musical from Edinburgh based on Proclaimers songs. It's a lot better than it sounds.....easy watching. 

The Salvation (not suitable for kiddies) (2015) Watched on NOWTV

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2720680/fullcredits

Modern Western, ignore Eric Cantona's acting ability :ph34r:

Jon and his brother Peter participate in the Second Schleswig War in 1864 and following the defeat of the Danish Realm, they migrate to the United States and settle somewhere between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains. Seven years later, Jon’s wife, Marie and his ten-year-old son arrive.

Enjoy :D

From those mentioned above I really like v for vendetta, night crawler and for a bit of s laugh my cousin vinyl! 

Of those not mentioned I would recommend the intouchables (I know the spelling is wrong but that is how they spell it). The film is entirely in French but it's well worth the subtitles, one of the most uplifting, brilliantly acted and emotional films I've ever seen with its fair share of brilliant jokes. 

One film I absolutely love which never seems to get mentioned is Lucky Number Slevin. Fantastic film with a pretty all star cast (Freeman, Hartnett, Kingsley, Liu and Willis).

Another very good film based on one of my favourite books (which i'll confess I only read after watching the film) is a Time to Kill starring Samuel L Jackson, Matthew McCoghnauhey and Sandra Bullock , absolutely brilliant film

5 minutes ago, loughboroughRAM said:

One film I absolutely love which never seems to get mentioned is Lucky Number Slevin. Fantastic film with a pretty all star cast (Freeman, Hartnett, Kingsley, Liu and Willis).

Another very good film based on one of my favourite books (which i'll confess I only read after watching the film) is a Time to Kill starring Samuel L Jackson, Matthew McCoghnauhey and Sandra Bullock , absolutely brilliant film

Love lucky number Slevin, flashy yet with substance.

Archived