Underrated/unknown Films

sage

6 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Life is beautiful - 1997 film with Roberto Benigni.

Dont do any research, just watch it and stick with it during the rather strange first 20 mins.

I nearly walked out of the cinema, bored, but so glad I stayed to the end. 

Christ - that's a bit underhand. At least warn people to have a box of tissues handy and don't plan to do anything useful for a little while afterwards! One of the most brilliant and moving films I've ever seen

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Christ - that's a bit underhand. At least warn people to have a box of tissues handy and don't plan to do anything useful for a little while afterwards! One of the most brilliant and moving films I've ever seen

Tell me about it.....

I think I heard Jonathan Ross review it on Film97 but only caught the last bit when he said "its a must see". 

Off I trotted to the cinema without any sort of clue what it was about.

Never before have I sat through a film where every emotion was dragged out of me quite like that. 

It doesnt get any easier watching it again, the funnier bits get funnier but the blacker bits get blacker.

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Dont do any research, just watch it and stick with it during the rather strange first 20 mins.

Is this a subtitled film?

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

If this film made you reach for the tissues, stay away from 'Pan's Labyrinth'.

10 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Yes, but you get used to it after a while. 

Just had a look there is a version with subs and one that is dubbed into english.

Im not that keen on dubbed films to be fair so might watch it with subtitles.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Just had a look there is a version with subs and one that is dubbed into english.

Im not that keen on dubbed films to be fair so might watch it with subtitles.

Good choice, Beningi's voice makes the film. 

Hope you enjoy, it's not everyone's taste, the ex sister in law hated it. 

13 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

If this film made you reach for the tissues, stay away from 'Pan's Labyrinth'.

Ive watched a few films over the years that have had me reaching for tissues :ph34r:

Moon - low budget sci-fi classic, directed by David Bowies son, starring Sam Rockwell and the voice of Kevin Spacey.

No way out - Hackman and Costner in a superior political thriller, looks a bit dated now but a gripping watch.

Doc Hollywood - feel good rom-com with Michael J Fox.

18 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Moon - low budget sci-fi classic, directed by David Bowies son, starring Sam Rockwell and the voice of Kevin Spacey.

No way out - Hackman and Costner in a superior political thriller, looks a bit dated now but a gripping watch.

Doc Hollywood - feel good rom-com with Michael J Fox.

Enjoyed doc Hollywood too, he was filming that when he found out he had Parkinson's.

Who is to say whether a film is underrated? How do you define an 'unknown' film? I've no idea.

20 years ago, something like Shawshank Redemption perhaps fell into both categories, seeing as it was pretty well a box office flop (despite receiving something like half a dozen Oscar nominations), and it became a video/word of mouth hit. So anyway, here's a few films that I like which may or may not fall into either category (or perhaps they are as common as muck)...

The Last King Of Scotland

V For Vendetta

Threads

The Hill

THX 1138

Archived