The return of the Mac so far.....

toddy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, archied said:

Again over simplification and unbalanced comment on Pearson v Mac ( I'm glad we have made the switch also ) they are very different managers with a very different view on how they want their teams to set up and play ,, Pearson came in to a club where none of the players were his and had not been playing his style of football and it quickly became clear that there would have to be a good few ins and outs before he would get results , he had a choice ,, revert to our tried and tested methods or plough on with his preferred method with players having to adapt and or be replaced over a few windows,, he ploughed on and found that Derby /Mel and fans at this stage we're not happy to be patient for results to come with a brand of football they were not desperate for us to adopt anyway ,,,, deosnt make Pearson inept as a manager just wrong man wrong place wrong time,, macs walked back in to the club to work with pretty much the same core group of players he worked with and did well with still in place , hence a far easier transition,, as I say I'm glad macs back in place of Pearson  but let's be fair to both men, I'm not forgetting Mac did very well taking over from clough but to be fair Mac always pointed out that he walked into a squad that was well built and ready for lift off for the right man

I disagree. He did show himself to be inept.

A manager comes into a club that has played a certain style of play (very successfully) for several seasons and decides that he wants to change this. Nothing inherently wrong with that. Where he went wrong was his inability to understand that the players he had were ridiculously ill-suited to what he wanted them to do and then when they didn't do well he blamed them when he put them in that position.

There was nothing stopping him from playing in a similar fashion to how we had done while he accrued players who could play the way he wanted. He was just too stubborn to do so. Any manager worth his salt would've have known not to play Hughes and Bryson in a central midfield two - didn't one of the others interviewed text Morris saying as much? Not Pearson though. If you are a decent manager you play a system that suits the players. Not Pearson.

What does that say about Pearson then? He walked in on a talented squad that admittedly was not as together as the one McClaren first walked in on. The squad McClaren walked in on second time round was even more broken up and he's still done miles better. 

I regret saying it to be honest as this has already been done to death on here. What I will say is that I was glad to see the back of him and would be happy never to see his face again.

50 minutes ago, archied said:

Again over simplification and unbalanced comment on Pearson v Mac ( I'm glad we have made the switch also ) they are very different managers with a very different view on how they want their teams to set up and play ,, Pearson came in to a club where none of the players were his and had not been playing his style of football and it quickly became clear that there would have to be a good few ins and outs before he would get results , he had a choice ,, revert to our tried and tested methods or plough on with his preferred method with players having to adapt and or be replaced over a few windows,, he ploughed on and found that Derby /Mel and fans at this stage we're not happy to be patient for results to come with a brand of football they were not desperate for us to adopt anyway ,,,, deosnt make Pearson inept as a manager just wrong man wrong place wrong time,, macs walked back in to the club to work with pretty much the same core group of players he worked with and did well with still in place , hence a far easier transition,, as I say I'm glad macs back in place of Pearson  but let's be fair to both men, I'm not forgetting Mac did very well taking over from clough but to be fair Mac always pointed out that he walked into a squad that was well built and ready for lift off for the right man

I agree with your comments about wrong man etc BUT also think he was/is inept and proved it with his stubborn, stupid approach to managing our great club.

8 hours ago, TreeFuTom said:

I was always happy to see Mac return, and so far it's going extremely well, better than i could ever have hoped for. If he smashes Forest (or even gets just a cheeky 1-0 on them) i might have to devote a shrine in my house to him.

The stage is yours, Mac. 

I've devoted a throne in mine to Pearson.

4 hours ago, archied said:

Pearson came in to a club where none of the players were his and had not been playing his style of football and it quickly became clear that there would have to be a good few ins and outs before he would get results...

Obvs not. Pearson could have bought and sold but decided not to. You are putting 'ideas' in his head. The reality is what he achieved, full stop.

I don't buy into this idea that Pearson was stubborn. If that were the case he wouldn't have held an open meeting with the players discussing what they felt wasn't working etcetera.

No, not stubborn. Just so totally clueless and inept that he literally had to ask the players what system they felt suited them best. I do believe one of those Leicester fans who came on here at the time stated that their late reprieve in 14/15 was instigated by a group of senior players holding a meeting with him and telling him what system to use. 

I stand by what I said at the time. With his ability to build teams and scouting structures he'd be a brilliant Director of Football but he should be nowhere near the hot seat. 

8 hours ago, archied said:

Excluding George and Fozzy only five of them were even here last time. 

Pearson had an entire pre-season and a transfer window which resulted in four of his players coming in. 

I'm not having that argument. Pearson came into a far better situation than McClaren has. 

5 hours ago, cannable said:

Excluding George and Fozzy only five of them were even here last time. 

Pearson had an entire pre-season and a transfer window which resulted in four of his players coming in. 

I'm not having that argument. Pearson came into a far better situation than McClaren has. 

Bent ,, Hughes ,ince, Russell keough ,Cyrus ,Hanson Bryson ,fozzy, Thorne,lotsof back room staff ,acadamy players and staff , my bet is that the majority very happy to have him come back like an old friend , whilst Pearson I suspect was possibly viewed by a lot as wtf does he think he is coming in here changing stuff we think is right and are happy with , different dynamic altogether ,, I'm glad Mac is back in place of Pearson as after a short time I found him dour and defensive to listen to as perhaps some at the club did , but only time and another job for him will tell if he has gone from being a decent manager to being totally inept ,, I bear no grudge to him ,it just did not work at Derby and there was not enough time to honestly say if it would have worked ,one thing is for sure it would have taken 100 percent trust by Mel and time for a big clear out and rebuild which he was never really going to get given his marmite personality

12 hours ago, archied said:

To be fair Mac has returned us to a level we know we are capable of but we are yet to find out if these players have the bottle to produce what is ultimately the goal,, i.e. Promotion , can they produce when it really counts and the pressure is on , can they see the job out and get this club promoted? .how will they respond when results don't go our way? As they won't at times because that's football at this level , how will they respond when Mac has to make tough selection decisions ? How will they respond when Mac has to play some out of position to cover injuries as will happen? 

Im no doom merchant and am happy with Mac being back and the players performing far far better but it's an over simplification to put it all down to one manager being great and another rubbish when the one being called rubbish has produced decent teams and results elsewhere ,, the players have to take a big slice of responsibility for performances under Pearson and at times under clement / wassell ,, that said it's time to leave all that behind and push on ,time will tell if this group have what it takes to get us up and if not draft in upgrades ,, the aim is promotion ,that's why mels here ,that's why macs here,that's why rush is here and that's why players considered very good at this level are here

Fair points, well made. I was being a touch facetious as I don't think the labels bottlers and failures was a particularly just one to begin with. Not looking to go back over old ground but the play off final was a single game of football that could have gone either way. The subsequent season's fall from grace had more than one extenuating circumstance, I always felt it was far too simple to suggest the players bottled it, most sides would have struggled under the injury situation we faced.

However, you're totally right, we shouldn't be getting too carried away with ourselves and the measure of our upturn will come when we don't win. That all aside I'm so much happier as a Ram right now and I think Mac2 and the players deserve full credit for turning a toxic situation into what now looks like a more hopeful season! Long may we be looking up the table (until we're top of course!)

11 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Fair points, well made. I was being a touch facetious as I don't think the labels bottlers and failures was a particularly just one to begin with. Not looking to go back over old ground but the play off final was a single game of football that could have gone either way. The subsequent season's fall from grace had more than one extenuating circumstance, I always felt it was far too simple to suggest the players bottled it, most sides would have struggled under the injury situation we faced.

However, you're totally right, we shouldn't be getting too carried away with ourselves and the measure of our upturn will come when we don't win. That all aside I'm so much happier as a Ram right now and I think Mac2 and the players deserve full credit for turning a toxic situation into what now looks like a more hopeful season! Long may we be looking up the table (until we're top of course!)

I'm with you on the being happier as a Rams fan under Mac 2 , it was such a shame how things went after the Newcastle interest in Mac but maybe it will turn out to be a blessing long term with Mac fully focused and committed to a long term project

Archived