The return of the Mac so far.....

toddy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Personally think if he hadn't of left before we wouldn't be where we are. The fans turned on him too much to be salvaged. His return has been accepted so well because of a mix of desperation for decent football and sentiment I think. That's not to say it wasn't a masterstroke from Mel Morris though....

I think his return was more down to Sam than Mel. Where was Mel during any interview on McClarens come back? It was all Sam.

4 hours ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

I think his return was more down to Sam than Mel. Where was Mel during any interview on McClarens come back? It was all Sam.

Figured he was trying to avoid any controversial and/or awkward questions as the media are wont to put forward.

It just appears there may be something in the mix of Derby county and Steve Mac ,, what is it? I don't know but he seems to fit here in a way that he deos nt elsewhwhere ,, I was totally 50/50 on his return could nt call it either way ,, disaster or master stroke , 

the sacking and return certainly clears picture for both Mac and Mel ( we hope ) and we look to build long term ,, Mac would have to be a retard of epic proportions to even consider any other job apart from top six prem or major European club , Mel perhaps did nt see Mac as the man to build long term his vision of improving players and producing our own from the acadamy but perhaps sees those qualities in him now and feels after honest open talks with him before his return that he will commit long term and meet those criteria ,,,, it could be a fantastic match up ,,,,,, maccy and Mel sitting in a tree ,,,,,. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

He should have managed the newcastle rumours far better. I was at a fans forum and his non comittal was astounding. When they collapsed and finished 8th he deserved the sack. No question.

He is old enough to have known better than to behave like a child with silly mindgames but this time around it really is last chance saloon as his reputation is in tatters post Geordie implosion. He knows that to have landed a top 15 side (in the UK) based on stadia/ fanbase he wont get another chance like this. He is now damaged goods and there will be no future approaches from a so called big-boy so he will have to achieve all ambitions here. He knows this, Mel knows this.

He has the ability no doubt he just needs a firm voice in the background to keep him on the straight and narrow and to avoid his tendancy to self-destruct by making a rash choice/ decision. Chris Powell staying may well be that masterstroke as he really is a top guy.

On Monday, December 05, 2016 at 18:22, Alpha said:

Not bad with a team of proven failures and bottlers that have been found out

We've just developed a mystical plan b 

Or playing to our strengths

Or every key player isn't injured at once

But I'm grateful we've got rid of those bottlers and failures and the poisonous elite group who purposefully played badly to see off successive managers. We're so much better off without them... 

7 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

But I'm grateful we've got rid of those bottlers and failures and the poisonous elite group who purposefully played badly to see off successive managers. We're so much better off without them... 

To be fair Mac has returned us to a level we know we are capable of but we are yet to find out if these players have the bottle to produce what is ultimately the goal,, i.e. Promotion , can they produce when it really counts and the pressure is on , can they see the job out and get this club promoted? .how will they respond when results don't go our way? As they won't at times because that's football at this level , how will they respond when Mac has to make tough selection decisions ? How will they respond when Mac has to play some out of position to cover injuries as will happen? 

Im no doom merchant and am happy with Mac being back and the players performing far far better but it's an over simplification to put it all down to one manager being great and another rubbish when the one being called rubbish has produced decent teams and results elsewhere ,, the players have to take a big slice of responsibility for performances under Pearson and at times under clement / wassell ,, that said it's time to leave all that behind and push on ,time will tell if this group have what it takes to get us up and if not draft in upgrades ,, the aim is promotion ,that's why mels here ,that's why macs here,that's why rush is here and that's why players considered very good at this level are here

8 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

It was all Buxton and Martin

1 hour ago, PodgeyRam said:

Everyday McClaren is here, he simply shows more and more how inept Pearson was. McClaren is not the greatest manager on the planet (although I will admit he is a great fit for Derby) and Pearson manages to make him look like Jurgen Klopp. 

Again over simplification and unbalanced comment on Pearson v Mac ( I'm glad we have made the switch also ) they are very different managers with a very different view on how they want their teams to set up and play ,, Pearson came in to a club where none of the players were his and had not been playing his style of football and it quickly became clear that there would have to be a good few ins and outs before he would get results , he had a choice ,, revert to our tried and tested methods or plough on with his preferred method with players having to adapt and or be replaced over a few windows,, he ploughed on and found that Derby /Mel and fans at this stage we're not happy to be patient for results to come with a brand of football they were not desperate for us to adopt anyway ,,,, deosnt make Pearson inept as a manager just wrong man wrong place wrong time,, macs walked back in to the club to work with pretty much the same core group of players he worked with and did well with still in place , hence a far easier transition,, as I say I'm glad macs back in place of Pearson  but let's be fair to both men, I'm not forgetting Mac did very well taking over from clough but to be fair Mac always pointed out that he walked into a squad that was well built and ready for lift off for the right man

Archived