Chris Martin

Lord_Ram

Best striker I've seen at Derby in the past 10 years by an absolute mile.  Those who berate him every week and want him gone just need to think back to our collapse under McClaren whilst he was injured, it wasn't a coincidence those events coincided. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Idiakez said:

Best striker I've seen at Derby in the past 10 years by an absolute mile.  Those who berate him every week and want him gone just need to think back to our collapse under McClaren whilst he was injured, it wasn't a coincidence those events coincided. 

It wasn't a coincidence that there was a coincidence :ermm:

thats Steve Mac for you.

You could make a video of every player carefully selecting the best bits and make every player look good,and then wonder why we didn't finish top. Why not make a video of all his misses,and all the times he stood on his heels and didn't make any runs into the danger area,there were loads of them. I would like to see a good striker here who does what he's paid to do...score goals.Never mind flicks-on,how about taking responsibility on yourself and go for goal.

In my opinion he has been a let-down this season,not good enough.

5 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

You could make a video of every player carefully selecting the best bits and make every player look good,and then wonder why we didn't finish top. Why not make a video of all his misses,and all the times he stood on his heels and didn't make any runs into the danger area,there were loads of them. I would like to see a good striker here who does what he's paid to do...score goals.Never mind flicks-on,how about taking responsibility on yourself and go for goal.

yeah 15 goals and 10 assists, poor!

Always loved Martins ability, I sometimes watch him all game to try and learn from him. A brilliant striker.

I just wish he could enjoy his football though, I've not seen him ever enjoy a game... even against Wolves this season where Ian Holloway said "if youre a kid and you want to be a complete striker, watch Martin in this game" he didnt even seem happy.

20 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

What do you want from him then?  100 goals this season? 

25 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

Oh, like Ince then. Cos 40% of the time that worked, every time. 

5 minutes ago, Simsy said:

or 171million less.

They are promoted.

Oo, that's very clever. Good argument. Can't really come back against that one to be honest. It's all fine margins really int it? If Martin had brought his A game to a couple more games, a couple of draws might have been wins, a couple of losses might have been draws. 

So based on promotion being worth £200m, would it be worth going out and spending £199m on all but guaranteed promotion? Discuss. 

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

If you need evidence of his game the video shows it. He is at his best when he's got players close to him. Early in the season he didn't have that and it was clear he gets frustrated. Top top player.

Hi Arry

I've never questioned his ability as an individual. I have however questioned our past and seemingly continued decision to base our entire system around the health and form of one player.

57 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I know some people want to see him in a 4-4-2 with a pacey striker next yo him, but I'd rather see Hughesy/Bryson playing really close to him in a 4-2-3-1 with pacey wingers around them.

I like the 4-2-3-1 formation, the only problem is our players don't necessarily suit it. We have Thorne who can play the two, but who else? Hendrick potentially? Johnson may be able to but hasn't impressed this season. Butters and Bryson would both be in the Hughes type of midfielder so if we did go with this formation, we may as well let one go to allow room for another more defensive minded midfielder to play alongside/cover Thorne.

If the players around him were laying on as many cute passes and layoffs for him as he does for them he'd have got 25 this season and we'd be playing in the premiership next year. Hopefully next season we'll have George and Will playing 30 games together not half a dozen in which case, problem solved. 

Archived