Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

The article referred to earlier in this thread by Steve Nicholson in the Derby Telegraph is an excellent article on where our club is and what was expected by most to drive us forward. I think it probably reflects the majority of thoughts on this.

If we had sold Shackell for enough money to replace with another centre back and a forward, I think we wouldn't have complained too much. It simply doesn't look like we have sold him for that much. So, on common sense grounds it looks like we may be worse off in defence now, and who knows whether we will be worse off up front.

We just needed to weed out a couple of the weak links and tweak the quality in some positions upwards to improve - I just don't think replacing your better players is the way to go.

I think Clough had a similar common sense view well before Shackell left.

Almost a month ago he said there were two or three players he had in mind who might replace him if he left. That they wouldn’t cost as much and that he thought they wouldn’t significantly weaken us at the back.

Sounds like Shackell’s replacement was always expected to be cheaper (in terms of salary) but wasn’t expected to be quite as good a player.

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-boss-Nigel-Clough-won-t-rule-Jason/story-16337668-detail/story.html]http://www.thisisder...tail/story.html

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine my delight after returning to the UK after 6 weeks in the desert with zero comms to the outside world and finding out we had sold Shackell, as predicted......

.....so then Mr Shilton, and Martyn, not so cocky now.......binners!!!

Not entirely sure what "binners" means but if you read my posts I am sure that you would agree that I was indifferent to the departure of Shackell and merely commenting on the manner in which you presented your "prophecy". If I was you I would return to said desert and retire back beneath your stone,

Indeed it is I believe, but not all "good sources" report on there. End of next week another announcement will be made regarding a departure from PP. If not true I will never post on here again!

Ok I believe you now.

Glick has said "It is a good deal. Ultimately our objective is to improve the squad overall and we felt that doing this particular deal allowed us to take the funds generated and the wages saved, and re-invest into the centre-half position and a couple of other positions to strengthen us overall."

Maybe he was on really good money then 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

This saga is almost a reality TV show.

GSE, Tom Glick and Nigel Clough star in:

'How do you solve a problem like selling Shackell?'

'Everybody loves Jason'

'How I met your new championship experienced centre back'

'2 broke guys'

'The inbetween-1 mil and 1.5 mil-ers'

Spoke to a mate last night whose dad is on the board... Apparently shackells fee was actually 750k not the 1.1m banded around. Plus Keogh fee was closer to 1.5m according to him. Sounds to me like there is money to spend n there tryin to keep it quiet!

If there was money to spend surely Shackell would of just been kept and we'd have both Shackell and Keogh.

We certainly wouldn't sell him for 750k anyway it makes no sense whether or not there was money to spend.

Spoke to a mate last night whose dad is on the board... Apparently shackells fee was actually 750k not the 1.1m banded around. Plus Keogh fee was closer to 1.5m according to him. Sounds to me like there is money to spend n there tryin to keep it quiet!

Which board? Derby's?

Archived