What Are You Listening To?

AndyB

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Mary O'Brien as a colleague of mine knew her in the 80's . Had really bad sales on release in 69 but very popular LP now.  A favourite of Roger Daltrey 

Thanks Gee Screamer never knew Roger Daltrey was a fan. Yes you are so right a flop when it was released but I think Pulp Fiction and Son Of A Preacher Man gave it a lot more attention. Elvis Costello another big fan as well. 

31 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Thanks angieram obviously a lady with good taste. 

You might not say that if you heard some of my other choices but I do like a bit of Dusty!

I vaguely remember her on TOTP and thought as a kid she was a bit different,  not your average pop artist. 

17 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Still as wondrous as anything I've ever heard over 30 years after I first heard it. I rate Bjork right up there with bands like Radiohead, Portishead and Massive Attack. All iconic, all utterly unique. 

Really like some of her stuff this one included, other stuff is a bit too far out.  I think any artist like Bjork takes a lot of influence from Kate Bush who's quietly gone about life releasing music for over 30 years out the spotlight till she got Stranger Thinged.  Kates the daddy.

Always loved this one.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think any artist like Bjork takes a lot of influence from Kate Bush who's quietly gone about life releasing music for over 30 years out the spotlight till she got Stranger Thinged. 

I love the fact that Kate Bush was thrust back into the limelight by Stranger Things. The current generation of young 'uns seem way more inclined to give older music a try and I agree totally with their view that KB is pretty amazing. Earlier generations seemed more inclined to 'stay in their lane' which is a shame as there's unlimited treasures to be found by those who with more open minds. I agree though that for most, KB is probably more accessible.

As for Bjork, well she is pretty much revered within the TripHop scene (artists like Portishead, Massive Attack, DJ Shadow et al), though I suspect she'd not be happy being categorised as such. For me, 'far out' is good. It takes courage and creativity to break artistic moulds, particularly in the Stock, Aitken, Waterman era and Bjork clearly didn't give a damn what folk thought, she just did what she did. I had a big crush on her when I was a kid, which probably also played into it!

In December 1982 a world record attempt was made.  For 14 days straight local bands played one after the other in what was termed a marathon concert.  The minimum stage time for any performers was 6 hours, broken into 45 minutes on stage with a 5 minute rest and go again before the 5 minutes were up.  A friend of mine and my job was to keep everyone supplied with whatever needed, cords, food, instruments, etc and to make sure that bands kept to the 5 minute rule.

One night from midnight to 6am Tappi Tíkarrass played on the small stage in the cellar.  I had heard them before, but this became a private concert, I was the only attendee.  They kept to the rules, ignored me seated on the sofa and pounded through their program of what seemed like over a hundred songs, many I had not heard before or after. 

This girl probably has something I thought to myself, heh.

18 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I love the fact that Kate Bush was thrust back into the limelight by Stranger Things. The current generation of young 'uns seem way more inclined to give older music a try and I agree totally with their view that KB is pretty amazing. Earlier generations seemed more inclined to 'stay in their lane' which is a shame as there's unlimited treasures to be found by those who with more open minds. I agree though that for most, KB is probably more accessible.

As for Bjork, well she is pretty much revered within the TripHop scene (artists like Portishead, Massive Attack, DJ Shadow et al), though I suspect she'd not be happy being categorised as such. For me, 'far out' is good. It takes courage and creativity to break artistic moulds, particularly in the Stock, Aitken, Waterman era and Bjork clearly didn't give a damn what folk thought, she just did what she did. I had a big crush on her when I was a kid, which probably also played into it!

Beth Gibbons was on Jools this week. Still a tremendous voice.

I've bought quite a few albums recently by "mature" singers of both sexes - Lucinda Williams, Bettye Lavette, William Bell, Shirley Scott, Joe Jackson, just to name a few - and I've been really impressed by the quality and freshness of the material.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I've bought quite a few albums recently by "mature" singers of both sexes - Lucinda Williams, Bettye Lavette, William Bell, Shirley Scott, Joe Jackson, just to name a few - and I've been really impressed by the quality and freshness of the material.

Joe Jackson has always been a fav of mine. Always does a good live show as well 

Just now, Reggie Greenwood said:

Joe Jackson has always been a fav of mine. Always does a good live show as well 

He wrote a really good autobiography in the mid-90s too, probably out of print now.