can derby keep good form going?

B4ev6is

B4 is this team better than George Burleys team? Is this team capable of winning 6 away games on the trot? Does the team have the ability to go away from home and win by 2 clear goals on more than 5 occasions?

George Burleys team were comfortably beating teams left right and centre and possessed real quality.. And they only finished 4th. What have you seen in this team to suggest that they're better than that? And better than that by about 10 points.

Exactly, and don't forget, Burleys team, whilst doing all that....won nothing.!

Burleys team, Smiths team, Bilys team and King Arthurs team would all smash Nigels team all over the park every day.

We are where we are now, because that is about how good we are, I expect us to finish around 10th, nothing spectacular, but an improvement.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Resounding nope our form is totally random like flipping a coin we have had a few good results recently so law of averages states we will have a few bad ones to get us to normalcy in the league

It's not as bad as Barnsley of late - they either get walloped or thrash some body. There isn't much consistency in the league as a whole I don't think.

Resounding nope our form is totally random like flipping a coin we have had a few good results recently so law of averages states we will have a few bad ones to get us to normalcy in the league

We have been a bit lucky recently, but that's how it goes. When you're down every rebound goes to the opposition and when you're up it falls safe. Our wins of late have all been edge of the seat stuff. I just hope we keep the belief and that we find the right blend in the team. It's still a bit fast and frantic where everyone lacks that bit of composure, but hey, most of them are young and will learn. I hope we can keep the nucleus of the team into next year, add the elusive full-back, midfield general and striker and then when the wage cap hits, we'll be right up there.

well even geouge burley days derby were also to inconsit to win anything and our defance over last few years have always been shakey but with back four anything is possable and only 1 goal concended in 5 games, so to me i think we have a better team and i think we also have fire power of my man callum ball and we also have steven davies to come back, and also nathen tyson, and we also have jeff hendrik as well.

yes it will because only 2 points behinde the play offs, and i think west ham and southamption have both been slipping up as late i think derby can get six points and win the scum, that will take to 2nd and about 3 points from the top. come on show some faith in the lads i do.

A top 10 finish will do for me this season. If we can stay where we are then I'd be happy. I don't see us doing much more. I think we have an honest industrious team. We try and play a bit, passing it in midfield and we've sured up the defence (should have as well as we've actually spent money there). We just miss, in my opinion, that spark, that player who keeps his head in the final third and can pick out a killer pass. The type of player who, when a game is looking stale, can product that bit of creativity to make a chance. If we can add that then we could be play-offs next season. If that happens ill happily eat my words re Nigel.

Personally I'm just happy we're winning again, I felt for sure we were having a repeat of last season but at the moment we've come out of that dip and I'm just happy with that, I'm not even thinking play-off's just enjoying the lack of disappointment each week. Long may that continue, anything else is a bonus.

B4 is this team better than George Burleys team? Is this team capable of winning 6 away games on the trot? Does the team have the ability to go away from home and win by 2 clear goals on more than 5 occasions?

George Burleys team were comfortably beating teams left right and centre and possessed real quality.. And they only finished 4th. What have you seen in this team to suggest that they're better than that? And better than that by about 10 points.

Does any of the bold criteria make you a 'better' team? Or is it actual success?

They weren't beating teams left right and centre, were they? Otherwise we'd have gone up.

We weren't as good to watch under Davies, but got promoted...

Nige has created a team that is capable of competing in this league. Defensively we are excellent, as the Coventry game proved, every time they looked like a threat, there was Barker, Shackell, or even Bailey, to stop them. However we need quality up front to challenge the top 6 and we just don't have that. Yes we've won 5 in a row, but all by a 1 goal margin. It reminds me in a way of Davies (not too much as Davies teams play football that makes you go blind if you watch it for too long).

If we managed to find a 25 goal a season striker to lead the front line, with Theo supporting him, we might have a shot at the play offs. I think with Green back the midfield is good enough to mount a play off push, but with no-one in the middle to convert goals (let's be honest, I like Theo but he's not gonna score many from crosses) then we won't score enough goals.

I agree with WilkoRam, a top 10 finish would be an outstanding achievement, and would allow us to build on the team. Getting in the top six and losing in the play offs could be potentially more damaging, with relegated teams, promoted teams, and other lower Prem teams more likely to start sniffing round our best players.

Does any of the bold criteria make you a 'better' team? Or is it actual success?

They weren't beating teams left right and centre, were they? Otherwise we'd have gone up.

We weren't as good to watch under Davies, but got promoted...

Go and have a look at the second half of that season and you'll find Derby were the second best team in the league, only behind Sunderland, and were beating teams left right and centre..

From our second half of the season.. Our last 24 games from December W 14 D 4 L 6.. 46 points, and that includes 2 losses in the final 3 games where we had half our team out injured (everyone will remember losing 2-6 at Coventry with our reserves)..

How anyone honestly thinks that this team is better is just crazy and deluded.. During those fixtures above we won away at promotion rivals Wigan, Reading, WHU and Sheff Utd..

So we have a better defence this time around? Perhaps yes, but seriously, going forward there is no comparison..

Go and have a look at the second half of that season and you'll find Derby were the second best team in the league, only behind Sunderland, and were beating teams left right and centre..

From our second half of the season.. Our last 24 games from December W 14 D 4 L 6.. 46 points, and that includes 2 losses in the final 3 games where we had half our team out injured (everyone will remember losing 2-6 at Coventry with our reserves)..

How anyone honestly thinks that this team is better is just crazy and deluded.. During those fixtures above we won away at promotion rivals Wigan, Reading, WHU and Sheff Utd..

So we have a better defence this time around? Perhaps yes, but seriously, going forward there is no comparison..

You don't need to call people deluded because they don't agree with you - it just takes away the point of a reasoned debate.

You base being good on performances, I base being good on outcomes and results. Doesn't mean I'm anti-football or prefer 10 men behind the ball. I just like organised, disciplined, counter attacking football as much as neat, short passing, and possession control. Both require alot of skill. We don't play hoofball.

I already know how we did in the second half of the season but who (apart from you) remembers that we were second best in the second half of one season? No one. Who remembers that we went up in 2007? Everyone. What happened afterwards was a disaster, but I'm talking about that season alone.

It's all relative to the competition as well as finance. This league has been crazy the last 4 seasons. Teams coming down and struggling and teams coming up from league 1 and pushing on. No one expected Forest to capitulate quite as much as they have given their squad. Leicester should be in the top 2 based on squad.

I hate comparisons with previous teams/era's for those reasons. But if we keep the back 5 injury free, we have a chance to maintain this type of form. I believe you can nick games every week in this league with a decent defence. Just looking at the squad top 10 would be great, but I genuinely believe this league is so open we could grab a 6th.

We've beaten Blackpool, which is in the the left hand side of England. We've beaten Hull, which is on the right hand side of the country. And we've also beaten Forest from the middle.

So we're already beating teams left, right and centre.

We drew against the team that's top and beat the team that's second.

We've kept 4 clean sheets in 5 games.

See, we sound amazing? So does Burley's team. Any team sounds decent on a good run.

Would this team beat George Burley's team? I don't know, and I don't care because it's not going to happen. Everyone else can have that petty argument but I, meanwhile, intend to enjoy us having a good run and enjoy the fact we're 8th and level on points with teams in the playoffs. That, I am afraid, is absolute fact; it's a good place to be and let's just frickin enjoy it!

Archived