Paul Green

CumbrianRam

Green is a very good player, yes he is versatile and he has international experience.

He is a very good central midfielder but he is an average right midfielder, by no means an exciting winger or a man that can deliver killer crosses, and he is from what I have heard a poor to average right back (after the leicester game a foxes fan i work with said of him 'i dont know how he can call himself a footballer' one game i know but it doesnt sound good and he does get destroyed by pace.

that said i will be very sorry to see him leave as i do like him, though his comments about wanting to stay and then rejecting the offer annoy me but thats football. however we don't NEED paul green, he would be handy if he stayed but we have replacements in line in central midfield, bryson is a similar if not better player and hendrick and bailey are decent at this level. and even with green we need a new wide man so i dont see this as the end of the world just a shame really.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10. They had offered Green a new contract, but when I pressed him as to whether he would be on the same money, he said 'that it was an offer that fell within their budget, and that they felt was a fair offer', which would suggest he would have to take a reduction in wages.

I think Clough has this one spot on.

Green's only real value to us was as a utility player covering for injuries. His best position is supposedly Central Mid, but we have better players in the squad that play there. At 29 he is looking to play out his career on a high, not covering out of position on reduced wages.

Best of luck to him. Now let's get a decent right winger in who can run defenders ragged (like Dyer did to Greenie when Leics played here!)

if green hadn't played for Ireland then there wouldn't be a fuss, why are WE going to miss his international experience? all we are realistically going to miss is his work rate, he doesn't stop running... as I said I don't think we'd of offered more, but simply offered him a similar wage and he obviously wants more, being his last big contract.

I think he'll go Ipswich personally, or Leeds... but he is a squad player at best in this division, to make a real impact on games I feel he may need to go down a level or two.

Definately don't need him IMO.

Good versatility but his performance's have been well below par since his return overall. Whether thats due to being out of position I don't know but he's not done his Euro chances any good. If we're signing a right mid this summer then he's certainly not going to be missed. Bryson, Hendrick and Green are all far too similar for me, glad it's turned out that the highest earner out of them will be leaving.

He's been a decent player for us overall but nothing worth worrying about. Cheers Greeny, good luck trying to get in the PL. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

I agree with lil miss. My own opinion is that he appears to have stopped trying, just as Commons did. His contract negotiations have been going on for a while, just as Commons' did. I think it's been obvious he wasn't going to stay.

I wish him luck in the future but for now it's time to move on.

Paul Green was a good servant to the club, he turned down the offer. He decided it was time to move on. He never caused any trouble got his head down and got on with his job. Played out of position many times and the majority of games he gave 100%. He became an international player under Cloughie.

Now we can look to get in a proper right sided midfield player who can perhaps give us a bit more down the flank. Is young Will Hughes a right sided player or CM?

[size=4][size=5]If what he has been offered is not comparable to what he was on already then I don't blame him for going. A good solid player to have in the squad and I think we will miss him. Can't imagine that who we will get as a replacement will be any better judging by what Glick is saying about fees and wages, but I live in hope.[/size][/size]

Green is a very good player, yes he is versatile and he has international experience.

He is a very good central midfielder but he is an average right midfielder, by no means an exciting winger or a man that can deliver killer crosses, and he is from what I have heard a poor to average right back (after the leicester game a foxes fan i work with said of him 'i dont know how he can call himself a footballer' one game i know but it doesnt sound good and he does get destroyed by pace.

that said i will be very sorry to see him leave as i do like him, though his comments about wanting to stay and then rejecting the offer annoy me but thats football. however we don't NEED paul green, he would be handy if he stayed but we have replacements in line in central midfield, bryson is a similar if not better player and hendrick and bailey are decent at this level. and even with green we need a new wide man so i dont see this as the end of the world just a shame really.

Massive over statement.

Everything he done at this club showed him to be an average Championship player.

As long as he's replaced by someone of equal or better ability i dont care.

If it comes to September and we're playing some youngster who's not ready in a position Green could be filling in, then i'll be disappointed.

He was superb on his first game back vs Palace.. He was the best player on the park by a mile.. He's a good player at this level who can fill in a number of positions.. He can also help the younger ones as the guys around him in Bryson, Hendrick, Bailey, Hughes are all still reletively inexperienced at this level..

Problem is he's on Jewells wages.. He's effectively the last one, and I can imagine given the comments about the deal is that it's an offer that is a reduction in wages.. As much as -$2k a week on his current deal..

If you were Green, what can you do? Yes he is happy and settled here, but why would you want to willingly take a paycut? Derby are no different to Hull, Leeds, Burnley or Ipswich.. If any of these clubs come in for him and match the wages he's either on now or higher, then he should go..

People forget football is different to a normal job.. People are diven by money and success, at this moment in time Derby can't offer either so why would you expect people to stay out of loyalty when loyalty doesn't exist in football?

Glad he's gone, he's rubbish, ugly and has poor dress sense.

He's also a greedy manipulative malingerer, and now we've got a 20 year old centre half with 8 league games under his belt playing right back we don't need another international attacking central midfielder.

Good riddance.

Archived