Paul Green

CumbrianRam

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenie was never my favourite player but he was a decent committed professional who always gave his best. Its obvious why Nigel always picked him when fit.

He did ok at RB, ok at RM and is a reasonable player at CM (alongside someone like Commons).

The truth is that our wage budget is lower than a miners lunchbox and he has a chance of earning a bit more elsewhere. Its that simple. Don't blame him one bit and wish him well.

If Nigel had any kind of budget at all he would have kept him.

NC has already said he is buying a RW. Now Green is going, we are after a CM too.

I don't think so. He is bigging up Bryson and Hendrick as our first choice with Bailey and perhaps even Hughes as back up. Green seemed to always be RB or RM. With Naylor showing he can do a job at RB I think RM will be the focus for Nigel

If the rumours are true that we offered him less than half of what he's on currently I don't blame him for not taking it, esp since his last contract he's established himself in the ROI side. He's not the greatest midfielder but, apart from his shooting, he's very solid and I think we will miss him. All depends I suppose on who is brought in, if anyone, to replace him.

But its slightly different when you're earning thousands of pounds a week isn't it.

No, it isn't. You live to your means.

Half of my salary is still more than some people earn. He'll have financial plans for his current wage. Yes, in an ideal world footballers wouldn't earn more than £200,000 a year (if that), but they're at that level per week now for the top earners. Green moving on rather than taking a cut doesn't come down to loyalty, nor is he a mercenary. He's a normal sensible bloke, who's given his all to Derby County for 4 years, and deserves to be applauded upon his return to Pride Park in the future.

I think you are all forgetting something, Nigel Clough can do no wrong, he wanted Green to stay.

Me and Nige know our footballers, you lot are rubbish.

Although Clough stated he wanted him to stay Green would not have played central midfield as Hendrick and Bryson are the first choice midfielders. Green may have started on the Right Wing but there would have been no guarantee of this either with players coming through the ranks or say for example Tyson actually kicked in through preseason. Green knew at present the best he could hope for is RW along with being a squad player. He would not have had been offered a pay rise. Clough had stated before there is a pay structure and he would have to fall into this. Negotations stopped for this reason at Christmas when he was injured and Derby's stance would not have changed has his performances have not been that great.

I wish him luck for the future but will not be losing sleep over losing him as I don't think he offers enough. He is not a Commons or a Hulse and is not a match winner or a game changer. He is a steady Eaddie and we have enough of those in the squad

Archived