Clough Out by November - Dave Jones In

ChorleyRam

i think there is a difference between what the top 3-6 teams spend and what the rest spend, i am not saying i want the playoffs or promotion or that i expected either one, I didn't and don't, however i did expect more than 18th, 14th and 19th and i think the amount we spent justified a higher position than 19th, but that is just my opinion.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think there is a difference between what the top 3-6 teams spend and what the rest spend, i am not saying i want the playoffs or promotion or that i expected either one, I didn't and don't, however i did expect more than 18th, 14th and 19th and i think the amount we spent justified a higher position than 19th, but that is just my opinion.

We made a profit and ended up without a fit striker in september :confused: in all honesty I had us down for certain relegation, thought last season we'd cut back too much and that was it in terms of us being a championship club, I remember getting baffled by the win at leeds, and then when we got up to fourth I couldn't believe my eyes, where we finished was still an improvement on my prediction, this season I have us down for mid-table, if we stay in the division I will be contempt, if we are in the top 10 I will be happy, if we are relegated I will be upset.

Last season was a complete write off for me, with Moxey starting as a lone striker, I hope to go we don't go much lower than that!! :eek:

My final point would be that the board have not renewed his contract thus far, he has got 8 months or so to go, so the board i don't think are massively convinced as of yet, and if we have another repeat performance of last season the board will say bye bye i think.

So not quite your final point then?

What is all this ****** about being happy with him taking us down to league 2, or just being happy with his name?

I think you'll find most people that want to keep Clough on (as long as we remain in the Championship) feel so because they:

1) Want stability

2) Think given time/money he will improve the team

3) Has done a good job under testing conditions to date

4) Cant really see anyone else doing better

This is not blind faith due to a name, or unquestioning support should we go down, simply a rationally made decision.

Whether you guys think this is right or wrong is one thing, but to go on about like you do is frankly ridiculous.

In the words of Meatloaf, "You took the words right out of my mouth. It must have been while you were kissi...." *blush*

I wasn't expecting to be excited by any of our signings and I haven't been. Quite underwhelmed as it happens. Speaking to several other rams fan, there appears to be some common ground on this front. The club clearly felt compelled to make a statement of intent to protect the investment thusfar. One can hardly accuse them of reneging on the promise but at the same time they cleverly seem to have suggested more than they have delivered. That is my opinion. It is masterful GSE work. Clough's budget is more than enough to compete in this league, we've just signed Barnsley's captain and yet if previous campaigns are to go by, they may have the measure of us once again. We've been in lowly company the last few seasons when you consider our budget against our competitors.

Have GSE been all that masterful? Most fans seem underwhelmed. TG raised a lot of expectations this transfer window but so far it’s been the usual break-even budget and we’re still at least 2 or 3 players short. At the moment, a few injuries are exposing how thin the squad is and makes TG’s aim of challenging for the top 6 this season look pretty ridiculous.

As for Clough’s budget. Has he really had more than enough to compete in this league? I’ve heard this said before but the claims always seem to be a bit vague. I presume the assumption is that all clubs are somehow “equal” except for some estimate of their different transfer/wage budgets. Maybe such calculations suggest Clough has had enough funds – I really don’t know. But the calculations never seem to factor in the extra requirement for Clough to dismantle a mostly useless squad who were at the start of long term, massively over paid contracts, while having to reduce the wage bill by 40-50%, and also not get relegated. On that basis I think Clough’s probably done alright.

I agree with ramesses' post. Taking all the circumstances into account Clough has done as well as any other manager I could think of.

Its gonna take time and might not be pretty, but without major investment I don't see much alternative.

The "investment" this summer has been half-hearted. Yes we have some good new signings but only one is a proven Championship quality signing. The SPL signings as well as Tyson are a gamble.

But if anyone thinks Clough will be out by November is bonkers.

It will be another uninspirational and mediocre season but we won't be near the relegation places.

The "investment" this summer has been half-hearted. Yes we have some good new signings but only one is a proven Championship quality signing. The SPL signings as well as Tyson are a gamble.

But if anyone thinks Clough will be out by November is bonkers.

It will be another uninspirational and mediocre season but we won't be near the relegation places.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Typical Glick, promise lots, deliver little...

Out of the 3 potential new signings you'd only say Eustace is proven NPC quality. Waghorn hasn't had enough playing time and what left back fitting into that bracket would come to us knowing he won't be first choice due to Nigel's affection for Roberts??? Because we appear to put all our eggs in one basket, again, I expect the usual excuses of "no value in the market" then the loanees within the next two weeks.

Have GSE been all that masterful? Most fans seem underwhelmed. TG raised a lot of expectations this transfer window but so far it’s been the usual break-even budget and we’re still at least 2 or 3 players short. At the moment, a few injuries are exposing how thin the squad is and makes TG’s aim of challenging for the top 6 this season look pretty ridiculous.

As for Clough’s budget. Has he really had more than enough to compete in this league? I’ve heard this said before but the claims always seem to be a bit vague. I presume the assumption is that all clubs are somehow “equal” except for some estimate of their different transfer/wage budgets. Maybe such calculations suggest Clough has had enough funds – I really don’t know. But the calculations never seem to factor in the extra requirement for Clough to dismantle a mostly useless squad who were at the start of long term, massively over paid contracts, while having to reduce the wage bill by 40-50%, and also not get relegated. On that basis I think Clough’s probably done alright.

Fair points. I still think GSE have played a blinder. It wasn't long ago where people were trying to storm the main entrance of Pride Park and that all seems to have dissipated whilst the "wait and see what happens" philosophy is once again adopted by the masses. Im beginning to see a pattern emerging.

We're in for a frustrating season imo but I do envisage some improvement on last term. I don't expect Clough to challenge the top 6 with the money he has been given.

Looking at the league table and seeing the likes of Brighton adding to their squad with an ambitious hungry manager, S'hpton adding to their squad too. Looking at the teams around our level and our current thin squad, trying new formations and without a well groomed captain I'm worried. Think we are going to struggle to stay up.

Also find the comments strange when people say the don't want to 'go up' or a 'top half finish' would be ok. Sure, with hindsight top half finishes can be ok in retrospect. Not at the beginning of the season. Fester want to go up. We want to stay up.

Fair points. I still think GSE have played a blinder. It wasn't long ago where people were trying to storm the main entrance of Pride Park and that all seems to have dissipated whilst the "wait and see what happens" philosophy is once again adopted by the masses. Im beginning to see a pattern emerging.

We're in for a frustrating season imo but I do envisage some improvement on last term. I don't expect Clough to challenge the top 6 with the money he has been given.

Yes, the anger towards GSE/investors has dissipated. In fact, it barely registers anymore. Most of the negative posts on the forum these days are directed at NC. It looks like TG’s claims about the marvellous things we should expect to see this transfer window and his publicly stated aim of challenging the top 6 has given GSE a lot of breathing space.

It’s a neat trick given that, so far, nothing’s changed. NC hasn’t been given new funds this transfer window, we’re still 2 or 3 key players short, and we probably need to sell before we can get these important positions filled (as usual). Even then we’ll still be foraging for something decent in the loan market.

Yet, if the forums are anything to go by, we’re more likely to see NC sacked than see a re-run of last season’s anger at the board. As you say, TG has played a blinder.

Yes, the anger towards GSE/investors has dissipated. In fact, it barely registers anymore. Most of the negative posts on the forum these days are directed at NC. It looks like TG’s claims about the marvellous things we should expect to see this transfer window and his publicly stated aim of challenging the top 6 has given GSE a lot of breathing space.

It’s a neat trick given that, so far, nothing’s changed. NC hasn’t been given new funds this transfer window, we’re still 2 or 3 key players short, and we probably need to sell before we can get these important positions filled (as usual). Even then we’ll still be foraging for something decent in the loan market.

Yet, if the forums are anything to go by, we’re more likely to see NC sacked than see a re-run of last season’s anger at the board. As you say, TG has played a blinder.

Ramesses and Silly Billy are right.

I said it 1 month ago on here, and i got nothing but **** in my face.

Glick has managed to keep all interested parties happyish. And he's done it without spending.

Glick has managed to keep all interested parties happyish. And he's done it without spending.

I went back to that ‘budget’ thread to double check the lack of new investment. You did receive a fair amount of stick :D

Dave Jones achieved puck all at Scumdiff

FA Cup Final; Lost

League game against Preston last game of the season, must not lose by 6 goals otherwise Preston finish 6th.

Final score Preston 6 Scumdiff 0, miss play-offs

PO Final, Blackpool 3 Scumdiff 2, Miss promotion to PL

PO S/F Scumdiff 0 Reading 3

So what exactly has Davie boy won.

That's right PUCK ALL.

Haven't we spent money on at least six of the new players?:confused:

Yeah, but we only spent money we have saved in wages and fees received. That doesn't count because it's not new investment.

Isn't that how business works? It does in my world anyway. I suspect that most of these clubs who have big investors are only spending on loans from the money men. They had better not fall out!!!!!

FFS, for once can we not just get behind the team?!

I'm not convinced by Clough or the owners BUT i tell you what i am convinced of - the fact i'm DCFC through and through!

If there is one time of year where we should all just support the club and nothing else its NOW!

Archived