Clough Out by November - Dave Jones In

ChorleyRam

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a bag of toss this is.

I don't think I can remember ever having a manager with so much undeserved lack of support from so many supporters.

Thats easy to say, the same as, 'sack the lot of them', but tell us why you think he deserves support ?

Some would say that after just avoiding relegation last season, with a team he put together, as well as took apart, added to the fact that some of his substitutions, tactics, and 'man management skills', have been, lets say puzzling :eek: he doesnt warrant unconditional support.....

Clough hasn't had huge backing, it's not about transfer fees it's about wages and it doesn't look like we're prepared to splash in this dept, probably as GSE were stung with Robbie Savage on huge dosh.

The players brought in are Cloughs men but only within the means available, if double the money was available for transfers and wages, maybe it would have been a different bunch, higher up Cloughs wish list that would have come in.

Clough hasn't had huge backing, it's not about transfer fees it's about wages and it doesn't look like we're prepared to splash in this dept, probably as GSE were stung with Robbie Savage on huge dosh.

The players brought in are Cloughs men but only within the means available, if double the money was available for transfers and wages, maybe it would have been a different bunch, higher up Cloughs wish list that would have come in.

I dont think Paul Lambert,Malky Mackay, Gus Poyet, and a fair few others having more money last season than NC ?

If the results go against him then Clough will be gone at some point this season.

The question will then be, will the board/GSE give the new manager extra funds or will he have to work at raising his own funds to finance new players.

By the end of August I don't think we'll have spent very much at all.

Someone earlier posted that £4+ million had been spent by Clough. Take away Hulse, Commons, Varney, £1.8m?, and the far lower wages the new players are on, and the net spend is very little.

Some may think a different manager may produce far better results given the same resources.....its possible but by no means probable.

Either way, we'll find out this season.

Personally I would keep Clough and see it through now but I realise how panicky and fragile a lot of our support is atm.

When i read about "mis-management" by Clough it makes me laugh. Every club, every manager gets accused of this all the time.

I must have missed the reports where Hulse, Commons, Varney, Moxey, Cwyka etc have slagged him off for his poor man management.

Maybe those players knew more than us of the financial straitjacket Clough is working in.

GSE and the Board are, in my humble opinion, gambling all on Clough performing a miracle this season with next to no resources.

I don't think they have a plan b.

I dont think Paul Lambert,Malky Mackay, Gus Poyet, and a fair few others having more money last season than NC ?

Paul Lambert has done an amazing job nobody would deny that. Malky Mackay managed to avoid relegation in his first year and finished 14th last season, not that great and I would be disappointed if Derby finished lower than that this season based on the signings made. Don't know what point you were trying to make about Gus Poyet, they were in League 1?

Paul Lambert has done an amazing job nobody would deny that. Malky Mackay managed to avoid relegation in his first year and finished 14th last season, not that great and I would be disappointed if Derby finished lower than that this season based on the signings made. Don't know what point you were trying to make about Gus Poyet, they were in League 1?

In league one and spent a bit of money also, 3million+ on a striker this season and 1million on a winger plus a few more show they're in the money and willing to spend a lot more than us to get to the premiership!

I don't think they have a plan b.

I think that's been the problem all along - our owners don't seem to have known what they were getting into.

The stated aim of becoming a 'Everton-level' club would take a small fortune to finance - look at how much Leicester are spending just to get into the division. Looking at our owners, it's certainly within their financial means, but they've never shown a desire to go about it in any other way than what they're currently doing. We're a footnote on their portfolio, nothing more.

I said a few weeks ago that this summer's transfer activity would be defined by the last 2 or 3 - if they're better, well established Championship players then great, I'd be fairly happy. Sadly, at the moment it looks like we're struggling to attract our targets. I can't see Eustace working out. Watford have already sold players and raised funds this summer, and they're using him in pre-season as though they see him being at the club this season. Waghorn, again, can't see it, and even if it did is he the 20 goals a season striker that we need? In recent weeks I see that we've now started talking about the possibility of Hendrick breaking into the first team this year - looks like that might be plan B - likewise, the way Ball's been used in pre-season, is that plan B instead of getting in Waghorn/A.N.Other? Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Ball or Hendrick and think that both are exciting young prospects, but, they're not the 'proven' or 'established' Championship players that we were told were priorities, and most likely need.

if people are that uninspired by the signings we've made and the results so far, maybe they should just get their money back on their season tickets?

I think we'll do slightly better than last year, but not by much, maybe only 4-5 points better off.

Just because I am uninspired by the signings why should i give my season ticket back ??

This marketing ploy was done for comments like that, we dont deliver on the promise of proven players and then when this is questioned you get the "refund" quote.

It was not the fans who stated that we were investing into the squad after mistakes had been made, it was also not the fans that stated we would improve year on year.

Clough will be made the scapegoat is results dont go our way, that is what Glick is good at, deflecting the attention, I expect another marketing rabbit out the hat come Novemeber, sack clough and bring in someone like Eranio, just to appease the fans....very much like bringing Clough in.

If Clough goes it solves nothing.

The new manager will be someone on low wages, with no budget. He may or may not do better. A squad full of someone elses players etc, who would want the job?

Clough goes, the same old problem will be here. No money, compartively low wage budget etc.

The last thing we should do is get on Cloughs back, especially if we're 18th or above. imo.

If Clough goes it solves nothing.

The new manager will be someone on low wages, with no budget. He may or may not do better. A squad full of someone elses players etc, who would want the job?

Clough goes, the same old problem will be here. No money, compartively low wage budget etc.

The last thing we should do is get on Cloughs back, especially if we're 18th or above. imo.

Exactly, although a new manager could demand a new budget but I would much prefer the board to invest in Clough rather than someone else. I just hope he can get the team playing like they did early last season but with more consistency, probably too much to ask but if we did that no matter who was in the team, we would be competitive.. the sign of a great manager.

It's taken Clough/Glick all this time to ship out the majority of the big earners left over from Billy's days (Pearson/Leacock/Bywater excepted, and hopefully they won't be long) . Clough now has a team made up of his players and is building (as he has repeatedly said) to improve year on year - it's entirely fair to judge him at the end of this season to see if he has achieved that aim, but quite what the logic is in kicking him out after a couple of months and having to go through another re-building process with a new manager completely escapes me.....

The point im making is that its not all about 3m strikers and big money, some just get the best from their squad on low budgets and Poyet etc seemed to do that. So its not necessarily about how much we spend, Mackay did amazingly well bearing in mind Watford were in administration (virtually) and sold anyone worth money.

But, believe it or not, i have always supported our managers.......

malky mackay had a lot less money to play with than us in all fairness.

clough's contract runs out in less than a year, if by Christmas we are below 17th he will be out the door, he has had enough time, this will be effectively his third squad, he has spent money and he did last season, while the net spend isn't big at all, good managers can get a better squad with the same money generally, this hasn't happened thus far into clough's tenure. To those who say they would be happy to go down with clough, then i genuinely feel sorry for you, that you are that blind by the name and romance you would be willing to see the club dragged into the gutter of the third division, I however have no such ambition, i think the owners need to invest more, they are billionaires and spending 2 million on a striker will not endanger our financial future. However whether you feel rightly or wrongly, there is a reason why g.s.e. have not renewed this mans contract thus far, so they don't have to pay him off a lot of money or at all by the end of the season or Christmas depending where we are.

Archived