Clough Out by November - Dave Jones In

ChorleyRam

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clough's contract runs out in less than a year, if by Christmas we are below 17th he will be out the door, he has had enough time, this will be effectively his third squad, he has spent money and he did last season, while the net spend isn't big at all, good managers can get a better squad with the same money generally, this hasn't happened thus far into clough's tenure. To those who say they would be happy to go down with clough, then i genuinely feel sorry for you, that you are that blind by the name and romance you would be willing to see the club dragged into the gutter of the third division, I however have no such ambition, i think the owners need to invest more, they are billionaires and spending 2 million on a striker will not endanger our financial future. However whether you feel rightly or wrongly, there is a reason why g.s.e. have not renewed this mans contract thus far, so they don't have to pay him off a lot of money or at all by the end of the season or Christmas depending where we are.

We won't be below 17th at christmas, even if we were then he wouldn't and shouldn't be sacked. Nigel is the reason we are still in this league, I'm not sure you understand the magnitude of the job that he undertook. There are no quick fixes, Rome wasn't built in a day.

So will the board give the new manager money to spend?

that's precisely the point isn't it? - a new manager will demand a transfer kitty and will no doubt want to get shot of a number of Clough's signings (with an implied cost) - if Clough is sacked by Christmas, that would at least provide a transfer window to try and improve matters, but it could just result in another Paul Jewel' type of panic buying session (which we've only just managed to get over....).

Even with a bad start, I really can't see us ditching Clough until the end of the season - and I suspect that he would probably walk before he's pushed if it came to that....

To be honest no matter how we are playing in November Clough should stay as after all 'Rome was not built in a day' and it has been proven if you are loyal to your manager of the club it will help the club in the long term and I am sure people know which clubs I am talking about.

Also with the transfers he has made I think we have got some decent players in for this season, well other that Theo as I am still not quite sure about him, but I think we will improve this season to a mid to top half of the table this season.

So why all the negative talk, we need to get behind the team and Clough not say Clough should be sacked by November if we are in the bottom six after all the Championship is a tough league.

To be honest no matter how we are playing in November Clough should stay as after all 'Rome was not built in a day' and it has been proven if you are loyal to your manager of the club it will help the club in the long term and I am sure people know which clubs I am talking about.

Also with the transfers he has made I think we have got some decent players in for this season, well other that Theo as I am still not quite sure about him, but I think we will improve this season to a mid to top half of the table this season.

So why all the negative talk, we need to get behind the team and Clough not say Clough should be sacked by November if we are in the bottom six after all the Championship is a tough league.

you may well be new to this forum, but that gives you no excuse to be optimistic. Only until you boo and have a knife by your wrist can you post in this forum :D

you may well be new to this forum, but that gives you no excuse to be optimistic. Only until you boo and have a knife by your wrist can you post in this forum :D

Well someone has to be as no one else does, and yes I have booed at a few of the games in the past, who hasn't??

It's just the lack of people getting behind the team instead of slating the manager all the time, who knows what amount of money that Clough has available, to spend in the transfer window, he might have spent it all already, we don't know or they might be seeking more players which might be those 'big signings', but you can make those signing in the matter of 24 hours unless you have all the money in the world.

Well someone has to be as no one else does, and yes I have booed at a few of the games in the past, who hasn't??

It's just the lack of people getting behind the team instead of slating the manager all the time, who knows what amount of money that Clough has available, to spend in the transfer window, he might have spent it all already, we don't know or they might be seeking more players which might be those 'big signings', but you can make those signing in the matter of 24 hours unless you have all the money in the world.

get used to it on here :rolleyes: like vultures, waiting for Clough to fail so they can rant once more. :D the forum is a lot quieter when we are doing well, people can't moan about anything then. Only good things to talk about!

We won't be below 17th at christmas, even if we were then he wouldn't and shouldn't be sacked. Nigel is the reason we are still in this league, I'm not sure you understand the magnitude of the job that he undertook. There are no quick fixes, Rome wasn't built in a day.
No he should never be sacked, even if we go down to the Evo Stik League, his name is Clough, that's enough:rolleyes:

well the board haven't renewed his contract yet, to me when he has 8 months or so on it that speaks volumes to how the board are thinking. He should be sacked if we are bottom 6 by christmas, this is his 3rd squad effectively and sometimes it just doesn't work out, all that nonsense about rome wasn't built in a day, the Romans were also ruthless who got rid of the people standing in their way to greatness. This hasn't been a quick fix edin, he has been here almost 2 and a half years and very little if anything has improved. He has reduced the wage bill and just about kept us up in the process, however if we are bottom 6 with his proper team by christmas sacked he should be and probably will be. Also the sad thing is a lot of you would still support him if he took us down to league 2.

I know, the thought of him back here makes me cringe but he would get results, it is written in his DNA it would seem. I was very happy when Forest got rid, I expect them to realise sooner rather than later it was a very VERY poor decision, just like we did and preston before that.

I wasn't expecting to be excited by any of our signings and I haven't been. Quite underwhelmed as it happens. Speaking to several other rams fan, there appears to be some common ground on this front. The club clearly felt compelled to make a statement of intent to protect the investment thusfar. One can hardly accuse them of reneging on the promise but at the same time they cleverly seem to have suggested more than they have delivered. That is my opinion. It is masterful GSE work. Clough's budget is more than enough to compete in this league, we've just signed Barnsley's captain and yet if previous campaigns are to go by, they may have the measure of us once again. We've been in lowly company the last few seasons when you consider our budget against our competitors.

If the results go against him then Clough will be gone at some point this season.

The question will then be, will the board/GSE give the new manager extra funds or will he have to work at raising his own funds to finance new players.

By the end of August I don't think we'll have spent very much at all.

Someone earlier posted that £4+ million had been spent by Clough. Take away Hulse, Commons, Varney, £1.8m?, and the far lower wages the new players are on, and the net spend is very little.

Some may think a different manager may produce far better results given the same resources.....its possible but by no means probable.

Either way, we'll find out this season.

Personally I would keep Clough and see it through now but I realise how panicky and fragile a lot of our support is atm.

When i read about "mis-management" by Clough it makes me laugh. Every club, every manager gets accused of this all the time.

I must have missed the reports where Hulse, Commons, Varney, Moxey, Cwyka etc have slagged him off for his poor man management.

Maybe those players knew more than us of the financial straitjacket Clough is working in.

GSE and the Board are, in my humble opinion, gambling all on Clough performing a miracle this season with next to no resources.

I don't think they have a plan b.

Just want to add to the bit about mismanagement if you don't mind Uttox.

Commons has said TWICE that Clough is a good manager.

Commons seemed to forget all about us the minute he was in Scotland, but since settling he has given a mention to us twice. Both times praising the staff.

He didn't have to do that. He could of said nothing at all. Or he could of mentioned the facilities/ fans and so on. But he said we have a good manager.

Just thought i'd add that.

well the board haven't renewed his contract yet, to me when he has 8 months or so on it that speaks volumes to how the board are thinking. He should be sacked if we are bottom 6 by christmas, this is his 3rd squad effectively and sometimes it just doesn't work out, all that nonsense about rome wasn't built in a day, the Romans were also ruthless who got rid of the people standing in their way to greatness. This hasn't been a quick fix edin, he has been here almost 2 and a half years and very little if anything has improved. He has reduced the wage bill and just about kept us up in the process, however if we are bottom 6 with his proper team by christmas sacked he should be and probably will be. Also the sad thing is a lot of you would still support him if he took us down to league 2.

Show me where anyone has ever said this, no where, stop making up things. The squad is better than when he first arrived and the wage bill has been cut massively, that's a pretty good job in my book. You have been willing Nigel to fail for quite a while now and it's getting really boring.

What is all this ****** about being happy with him taking us down to league 2, or just being happy with his name?

I think you'll find most people that want to keep Clough on (as long as we remain in the Championship) feel so because they:

1) Want stability

2) Think given time/money he will improve the team

3) Has done a good job under testing conditions to date

4) Cant really see anyone else doing better

This is not blind faith due to a name, or unquestioning support should we go down, simply a rationally made decision.

Whether you guys think this is right or wrong is one thing, but to go on about like you do is frankly ridiculous.

actually someone i can't remember who has actually stated no matter what nigel did they would follow him because of the romance, i can't remember the user but someone has actually said it. The squad is better? well we will see personally i am not totally convinced on that one, again where have i said i want nigel to fail edin? oh right yeah hmmm never have I, again the board haven't renewed this mans contract yet for a reason, they will offload him if we have ANOTHER poor season, if we are bottom 6 he will be gone.

I wasn't expecting to be excited by any of our signings and I haven't been. Quite underwhelmed as it happens. Speaking to several other rams fan, there appears to be some common ground on this front. The club clearly felt compelled to make a statement of intent to protect the investment thusfar. One can hardly accuse them of reneging on the promise but at the same time they cleverly seem to have suggested more than they have delivered. That is my opinion. It is masterful GSE work. Clough's budget is more than enough to compete in this league, we've just signed Barnsley's captain and yet if previous campaigns are to go by, they may have the measure of us once again. We've been in lowly company the last few seasons when you consider our budget against our competitors.

Couldn't agree more.

What is all this ****** about being happy with him taking us down to league 2, or just being happy with his name?

I think you'll find most people that want to keep Clough on (as long as we remain in the Championship) feel so because they:

1) Want stability

2) Think given time/money he will improve the team

3) Has done a good job under testing conditions to date

4) Cant really see anyone else doing better

This is not blind faith due to a name, or unquestioning support should we go down, simply a rationally made decision.

Whether you guys think this is right or wrong is one thing, but to go on about like you do is frankly ridiculous.

Pot calling the kettle black, people have said i WANT the club to fail, that i want us to do poorly, i admit sometimes i say people have blind faith, and too me from what i have seen some people do have blind faith, mind you is there any other kind? Your second point is frankly incorrect, almost 2 and a half years is plenty of time and he has been given money this season and in my opinion last season he was given a decent bit.

actually someone i can't remember who has actually stated no matter what nigel did they would follow him because of the romance, i can't remember the user but someone has actually said it. The squad is better? well we will see personally i am not totally convinced on that one, again where have i said i want nigel to fail edin? oh right yeah hmmm never have I, again the board haven't renewed this mans contract yet for a reason, they will offload him if we have ANOTHER poor season, if we are bottom 6 he will be gone.

I didn't say you had said it, but your posts are so obvious, you always make digs at Nigel referring to him as the "manager" etc etc. You have gone so far in your dislike for him that you actually want him to fail, I honestly believe that.

Read the post above yours, someone speaking sense for once.

Your second point is frankly incorrect, almost 2 and a half years is plenty of time and he has been given money this season and in my opinion last season he was given a decent bit.

All true points, but I and a numerous others believe he has improved the team.

Archived